Silver Coin Spill & Checked One Off the Bucket List!

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX

Hey folks,

Well, I'm on vacation for the next week in Island County, WA. I couldn't wait to get out because I've been doing research on a few spots up here.

At the local historical society, I found a photo of a baseball game from the early 1900s, and after some research believe I found the field where it used to be. It's just a big hay field now. I spoke to the owner on the 4th of July and she seemed tentatively okay with me detecting there.

Here's what the field looks like:

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1503173870.163968.jpg

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1503173885.481464.jpg

I checked back in this morning and she wished me good luck! Got out there and within the first 20 minutes I found the King George VI Canadian penny. Not from the early 1900s but not a bad find.

After another hour+ out there I didn't find anything else even moderately old. I was debating what to do next and decided to go talk to the owner about doing the little side yard of her house.

She was all for it so I started gridding. Found a modern nickel and a 1980 dog license right away and then nothing but junk for almost two hours.

I've only got a little portion of the yard left and I was thinking, "What am I still doing out here? It's been 3 and a half hours and I've got almost nothing to show for it."

Well, I got a decent quarter signal (that's how all the can slaw rang up) so I figured just more of that. I pop open the plug and there is a 1965 Quarter. F%*# so close! I move on and get another signal a foot away, can slaw. I swing back over and realize there is more in the hole where I found the 1965 Quarter.

I re-open it and pull some more dirt and there's a silver Rosie, awesome!! Rescan and there's more. I pull some more dirt, silver Canadian Quarter! Rescan, and there's more! Another pull, another silver Rosie! One more time I get a signal and pull again, 1965 Quarter. F%#*! [emoji23]

All in all I found 3 Quarters and 2 dimes in the hole and 3 were silver! The dates are:
-1964 Canadian Quarter
-1952 Dime
-1964 D Dime

I finished out the yard and didn't find much else, but what a rush to find that all at once! So glad I didn't give up after 3.5 hours of almost nothing. 3 silver coins in 4 hours is much, much better than 0 in 3.5 hours.

By the way, Canadian silver was on my bucket list so I get to check that one off too! Next few things on my list are:
-16 silver coins total this year (I'm at 9)
-WLH
-Barber Dime (found a Quarter years ago)
-Any seated coin

Here are photos of my finds:

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1503174472.392084.jpg

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1503174484.320449.jpg

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1503174494.313944.jpg

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1503174515.689291.jpg

Thanks for looking and happy hunting folks!

-Washingtonian

Upvote 24

Javadroid

Silver Member
Jul 6, 2017
Northwest Arkansas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a great story and great set of finds! Congrats especially on your silver!! :occasion14:

OP
OP
washingtonian

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Oh yeah, and the lady kept telling me how frugal the family was and that I wouldn't find anything. Almost turned out to be true, but everyone makes mistakes. :)

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice hunt, Washingtonian! Frugal or not, with over a century of activity at that site, there's going to be plenty of things dropped. Way to get that permission and make the most of it..
Great saves! Ddf

Phishfindr

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2017
NEW ENGLAND
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Pro Pointer AT Z-Lynk, Lesche digging tools, Pack Mule finds bag by Freeloader.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great read. Sounds like you had a great time. Congrats!

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Excellent story and Congrats on the great finds!

-- Jeff --

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro with NEL Big Coil DD. Garrett Pro-Pointer Plus.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Enjoyed this post. Congrats! -Lisa & John

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice work, congrats on the silver

Last edited:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great scenery nice coin spill good post!!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread