What's new

Silver coin stuck in a rock!

Nathanonline

Jr. Member
Joined
Oct 31, 2015
Messages
71
Reaction score
299
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went hunting on the beach and I got a medium sized tone that fluttered really high. After a bit of digging I had a big ugly rock in front of me (it was much bigger, I just broke the piece off). I turned it over and what do I see? A silver coin fuzed into it! I'm pretty sure it is a quarter, What should I do with it, take it out or keep it in?

image.webp
 
Upvote 54
Very cool. I might expose just on one side just to see what it is...

sent from an anus from an asus
 
very cool. that rocks :notworthy:
 
Might be a colonial coin or shipwreck coin from the early 18th century. What area are you located? I would say leave it in the encrustation but you need to be able to ID the coin to know anything more about it. Maybe you can expose the rest of the one side and get an ID. Very exciting!
 
Very cool. I might expose just on one side just to see what it is...

sent from an anus from an asus
I like the idea of exposing one side while leaving the rest encrusted. And I'm seriously wondering where Ecoast sent this message from. :laughing7::icon_scratch:
 
Can you see the edge? Reeding may help with whether it's colonial or post. Also get the diameter since I see exposed edge at 8 o'clock and 2 o'clock. Also get thickness. Is that actual rock? I've seen asphalt look like that after being spilled in water. To check, a soldering gun will do. Heat will loosen asphalt. Good luck and let us know!

Steve
 
That is a sweet find. I would be unable to leave well enough alone. I would have to expose some of that coin.

Make sure that you show is whatever you do.

Congrats.
 
Cool find, hope you figure it out.
 
Update number one: I really wanted to do what everyone suggested and keep it in the rock with part of it exposed, but alas it wasn't working so I broke it out. The rock like material is super strong and even after I've busted it out it is on there good. As you can see in my photo, it has stars around the edge which is a great sign. Any thoughts on the best way to get this material off without hurting the coin too much?

image.webp
 
If it's quarter size, I'm thinking Seated Liberty Quarter.
 
Last edited:
Some woman found something similar on a beach near Atlantic City and posted it here several years ago now (maybe 5?). Thought it was a treasure coin. She paid to have the conglomerate x-rayed and everything...and it revealed a chain that she also thought was treasure and now was really excited about a "pirate" find. Consensus was that it was actually a Mercury dime in a conglomerate with toilet bolts and a toilet chain :laughing7:

Yours looks to be an older silver US coin. Nice find!
 
The design of the stars on your coin are not from a SLQ which have five pointed stars. The Seated variety has six points like yours but a different positioning of the points. The Bust design as well as some varieties of Flowing Hair type coins though are quite similar to your stars.Need to see more details to know for sure.
 
Last edited:
Soak it in gasoline or diesel, could be pitch used to seal wooden ships. Call me in the morning.
 
Seeing the photo of it in a spoon, I'm thinking it's a dime. Will be interesting to see what it is.
 
That is very cool ! I think it looks great the way it is. Maybe just a little more so you know what the coin is. It sure beats the heck out of the pull tabs and newer pennies I have been finding the past couple of days. Nice....very nice.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom