What's new

Silver coin stuck in a rock!

Nathanonline

Jr. Member
Joined
Oct 31, 2015
Messages
71
Reaction score
299
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went hunting on the beach and I got a medium sized tone that fluttered really high. After a bit of digging I had a big ugly rock in front of me (it was much bigger, I just broke the piece off). I turned it over and what do I see? A silver coin fuzed into it! I'm pretty sure it is a quarter, What should I do with it, take it out or keep it in?

image.webp
 
Upvote 54
The Un-Du will be much gentler on the coin than electrolysis--if you've never done it before you may end up frying the coin. Try the adhesive remover first.
 
If you have remove enough to be 95% certain that it's a Barber quarter, please post a photo for us to see.

I think from just only seeing the type of stars in your last photo that it's a much earlier Capped Bust quarter!:dontknow:
 
Still a great find no matter what it is! Love it! :thumbsup:
 
well nathan i will say to heat that rock and the trough it on icy water to see if the rock cracks, but try to find out whats the melting degrees for silver so you don't heat it to the point were the coin might melt. keep pictures of every process that might help to sell you coin along with the pictures, any way let us know what results you get. and good luck, or there might be an acid to broke the rock, but not the coin.
 
LOOKS LIKE THE DANG KIDNEY STONE I JUST PASSED WELL NOT AS NEAR BIG BUT DANG SURE FELT LIKE IT BUT REALLY COOL FIND ...
 
Good.luck with the unveiling.
I would wrap it in Aluminum foil, place it in a micro wave proof container. Then fill the container with a baking soda and water solution and making sure that the aluminum foil is completely under water. Then Nuke it for 2 minutes at a time until the silver coin is completely free of the encrustation. Of course,, this process is done at your own risk. Good luck and HH
 
Last edited:
I found a hunk of rock with a silver ring,in the ring three pennies were inside,the corrosion is worth taking home and investigating.
 
enough already, free that coin,free that coin, free that coin,FREE THAT COIN !!
 
Would a jewelry ultrasonic cleaner get that off?
 
Once you get an I.D leave it in.
 
I'm waiting...
 
That is so cool!!! NOW WHAT IS IT???????:icon_scratch:
 
The anticipation is killing me.
CLEAN IT!
 
Don't make us all come to your house just post a picture of the coin please
 
All! I'm so sorry this has taken so long (I didn't see there was a third page of comments). I have been working the coin with electrolysis, but progress has been very slow....The coin continues to look sad, I'm thinking it was some sort of asphalt it was wrapped in, it has been no easy task to free it. I promise to post a picture when she is done. My hunting has been going really good so I'm more focused right now on getting new (old) coins!
 
If it was asphalt, you could disolve it by soaking it in gasoline
 
I get alot of those around here,I got a ring and 3 pennies inside the ring.soak in paint thinner,don't throw those clumps away could be treasure inside.
 
in, so much cooler
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom