What's new

Silver coin stuck in a rock!

Nathanonline

Jr. Member
Joined
Oct 31, 2015
Messages
71
Reaction score
299
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went hunting on the beach and I got a medium sized tone that fluttered really high. After a bit of digging I had a big ugly rock in front of me (it was much bigger, I just broke the piece off). I turned it over and what do I see? A silver coin fuzed into it! I'm pretty sure it is a quarter, What should I do with it, take it out or keep it in?

image.webp
 
Upvote 54
If you can get some of the rock material off, I would put that material in different solutions to see if anything dissolved it. CLR, nail polish remover, Clorox, are just some to try. After you find the dissolver, try it on a cheap silver coin to see if it hurts the coin.
 
I've found a barber dime near a train station like this...be real careful it's almost like a tar coal substance almost impossible not to scratch coin or expose to chemicals when removing it. Cool find though!
 
It's not a rock but almost coal,years of corroding around the coin,sorry buddy but it's corrosion around a coin.if I could post a picture I'd show u my ring and other finds in this corrosion build up.peace
 
Cool find, should not be to hard to open. Be interesting to see what the date comes up as.....


I've found several this year and one gold ring encrusted.
Mine I just chip away with a small hammer until I get close then slowly work on the crustation, then several short electrolyzes if needed. Mine were found in the Chesapeake Bay were this is some what common for very old coins, most in the area of the early 1900's, and I'm not sure about the date of the gold I found....

OBN0350[1].webp

OBN0344.webp
 
Suggestion----Rather than a hammer us a spring loaded center punch. You can direct the force better and keep tip from ever touching coin. you can also place a small piece of scrap metal (New 1 cent ) on top and hit with center punch.
Marvin




 
Last edited:
That's a barber dime my friend...good find.saturday I found 4 busted drapes from 1803,01 the other I can't read the date,on the way out a 10k wedding band,I thought I was dreaming....peace
 
Sorry for the delay folks. This really did take some time and experimnetation, I think this is about as good as I'll be able to get it without hurting the coin more. It is an 1892 barber quarter. She's not the prettiest one ever, but it's beautiful in my eyes and the thought that someone last held it some 120+ years ago is really amazing to me! Thank you to everyone who commented!

image.webp

image.webp
 
That was fun...thanks for sharing
 
I'd love to find a Barber quarter in any condition. It's one of the only coins I think I have a reasonable chance of finding but have yet to. Well done
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom