What's new

Silver coin stuck in a rock!

Nathanonline

Jr. Member
Joined
Oct 31, 2015
Messages
71
Reaction score
299
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went hunting on the beach and I got a medium sized tone that fluttered really high. After a bit of digging I had a big ugly rock in front of me (it was much bigger, I just broke the piece off). I turned it over and what do I see? A silver coin fuzed into it! I'm pretty sure it is a quarter, What should I do with it, take it out or keep it in?

image.webp
 
Upvote 54
Use electrolysis on it. It should lift that stuff right off. I found a heavily encrusted silver ring and it cleaned up very well. You can make your own electrolysis setup very easily.
 
All,
I've gotten just enough uncovered to determine with 95% confidence it is a Barber Quarter, however I still can't figure out a good way to get this stuff off without hurting the coin. Any recommendations are welcome and appreciated. Electrolysis maybe?
 
I say leave it in the stone, very neat find!
 
Wow, that's just an incredible find,
 
You might try alternating between freezing in the freezer then dropping it in distilled boiling water.
Several times might do the trick.
 
I would sell it on ebay with a $2,000 reserve, and let the new owner do that.
 
Ebay it, one of a kind
 
That's just what I was thinking
 
How I progress would depend on what I determined the 'rock' substance to consist of. I would certainly remove it. The substance is worthless if there wasn't a coin in it. It makes for a good story- yea.. but you have photo documentation- so at this point, the coin is all that matters. Get it out of the gunk!!
 
Great thread to follow!!!
 
Last edited:
I'm voting Seated. That's a very unique find.
 
Looks like a Barber quarter.
 
Villagenut , I'm impressed with your observation of the orientation of the stars - this minute detail eliminates the Seated Liberty series
from consideration . I can't see that there would be anything to be gained from keeping the gunk attached to it for
display or any other reason - otherwise why take any dirt at all off a silver coin when you dig one in the turf - Is there
something sacred about encrustation of beach finds ? (even sacred cows need to be slaughtered periodically )





l
 
I'm thinking it is a chinese fake, they do that a lot

send it to me for further evaluation
 
Try and determine whether it's encrusted in pitch or a similar substance then use the appropriate solvent to remove enough to reveal the top part of the coin. I'd leave it in the glob as it makes a great conversation piece and displays well. A regular old Barber quarter is no big deal, but one found like yours tells a pretty unique story.
 
I found a mercury dime in a lump or rust and charcoal, in my own backyard. Maybe yours is a Capped Bust:dontknow: I can't wait to see it liberated!
 
Looks like tar or asphalt to me, get some Goo Gone or Goof Off and soak it for a while. Neat find!
 
There's an adhesive remover that I like much better than Goo Gone or Goof Off -- it's called Un-Du and you can buy it through Amazon. If it's tar, it should remove it without any problem.
 
Thanks everyone for the comments and suggestions! I'm going to try the electrolysis and it will be awhile before I get it done but I promise to post and update when it is free!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom