Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Easter evening, after filling up on lamb chops, I hit a ball field near the elementary school. I was looking for gold, so I was digging everything, and surprised at all the pull tabs I was getting right at the the dugout.

I was literally only getting pennies, including 1 shallow wheat.

Then I got a signal that was high And tight. 94 on the at pro. I had already dug a couple clad half dollars this week, and I know they ring in at around 92. My mind hoped that this signal would be a silver dollar. It was only a couple inches deep so I dug a wide plug so as to make sure I do not Nic my target.
IMG_3561.JPG

I thought maybe it was a Englehard prospector. It has a similar look to thoes silver rounds. I knew it was a silver coin because it was proof like in the ground.

I took a selfie with the coin I was so stoked on digging my first of many silver dollars :)

IMG_3564.JPG
image.jpgimage.jpg

Maybe you can see how I thought the polar bear side looked like an engelhard prospector rounds.

Upvote 34
Very cool, congratulations mate.

Pushing 3 million of them were made of clad. Around 390,000 were made of 50% silver.

Absolutely great find either way!

from the looks of those eyes, either you were facing the sun or you were hitting that green relic whistle hard when you found that. Found a nice dime the other day with the relic whistle..... good looks on the silver

Yup, it's the 50% silver variety. It was like a mirror in the dirt, not dark like a nickel clad coin.

Beautiful large silver recovery, congratulations! :occasion14:

Congrats. Didnt even know there was circulating Canadian silver that late

Beautiful looking coin- Congrats!

-- Jeff --

that coin is about a $20 value...it came in a case and it was never circulated....what it was doing in the ground is puzzling...

Congrats on a superb coin, very exciting! May have been used by a referee as a "heads or tails" coin? Or a child secretly brought it to school! Sub 8-)

Terrific large silver! Congrats!
Need the sunglasses for that one!

Sent from my VS810PP using Tapatalk

What an amazing shine on that one! Gotta love it. Congrats! -Lisa & John

Congrats on a superb coin, very exciting! May have been used by a referee as a "heads or tails" coin? Or a child secretly brought it to school! Sub 8-)

I want to give my best guess on why this boxed Canadian commemorative was in the 3rd base outfield of a elementary school ballfield.

My guess is that it was a show-and-tell item that was lost by a student.

As others have said, this coin never circulated. I do live in a 'border town' with British Columbia, but it's a maritime border that doesn't get much use. I will tell you this - I dig Canadian cents almost every time I am out for longer than a couple hours.

growing up along the boarder with BC, Canadian coins were interchangeable with US coins...the only problem was they didn't work in vending machines. We would always have Canadian in our pockets and folks didn't blink an eye when you used them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back