Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guys...great finds...really!...but OMG !! Those ATROCIOUS plugs..or holes..or craters you guys are digging is what gets us kicked out of public sites and gives the hobby a bad name...I apologize for raining on your silver parade, but could only get through the first 30 seconds of your (well made ) video..just couldn't stand to see any more carnage...PLEASE guys...brush up on your plugging skills and then go kill it out there...ddf

OP
OP
Q

Quin

Oct 28, 2015
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guys...great finds...really!...but OMG !! Those ATROCIOUS plugs..or holes..or craters you guys are digging is what gets us kicked out of public sites and gives the hobby a bad name...I apologize for raining on your silver parade, but could only get through the first 30 seconds of your (well made ) video..just couldn't stand to see any more carnage...PLEASE guys...brush up on your plugging skills and then go kill it out there...ddf

What's wrong with em?

OP
OP
Q

Quin

Oct 28, 2015
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will admit, I sometimes had to dig more than one plug because I am new to the Ace 400 and I haven't quite gotten the pinpointing down yet. But I ALWAYS fill all of the dirt back in and piece the sod back together like a puzzle. Most of the time, you can't even tell I was there at all.

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on all the silver. A suggestion would be to lay a towel or cloth next to the hold and put all the loose dirt on it so you can just dump it back into the hole when finished.

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good finds guys, and nice video skills as well. I thought for sure you were going to pop a Mercury dime! Next time I bet.

I agree with beez0404 about using the towel. I use an old tea towel when I detect places like yours. It really does make it easy to keep the grass clean and replace the dirt. The spot you were detecting has really well manicured grass, I'd hate to see someone complain. When I'm out in the country I'm not quite so particular, but still always refill and stomp.

supertraq

May 8, 2014
Pcola fl
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz6a,,,Fisher cz-20,,,,Teknetics gamma 6000,,"Tek Eurotek pro ,,Fisher gold bug s.e 2.9er,,Tek T2 ltd se,,Tek T2+,,Minelab Vanquish 540 and 340 and a new Nokta Legend and Garret Infinium
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yea I can be deep in the woods and I fill and stomp,good habits make it easier when it counts..
To many places being closed to detectorist.. Some comes from slob hunters but I think it's mainly nosey busy bodies that can't stand to see someone enjoying themselves. Don't give them a reason though they'll find one anyway.

tomhighland

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2015
In MI woods
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Please, take the time to watch videos of how to dig plugs and fill them in properly. I could not continue watching your video. If you think that no one can tell you have been there go back to the places you have been and look at the damage you have done. I guarantee it will open your eyes.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's an excellent "Self Certification Video on Digging a Plug" on the Task Force for Metal Detecting Rights Foundation website. Please review it. We all make plug digging mistakes when we first start out.
A little practice and digging a proper hole will become as easy as breathing in and out.
Good hunting

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good vid... keep it up.
It seems you are trying to maintain a good plug... which is good.
Keep in mind...
Spots that are in public view OR any spots that are "maintained" particularly...
are the spots that must be detected / dug with an almost surgical precision.

The guy who owns / maintains that OR just the old bitty with nothing better to do...
Will have a tizzy fit over seeing obvious digging.

When you are leaving a plug... start to walk away and look back...
If you can see it... so will they.
Its a pain...
But you will get better and better due to it being one.
leave a spot...

Like you were never even there.

davemihm

Feb 1, 2015
Mcminnville or
Detector(s) used
Whites xl Pro 6000 , MX Sport. Coin Master pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have to agree with the others........looked like a backhoe dug your plugs..... would suggest to practice your pinpointing skills so you only need to dig a small
plug ....It would make the rest of us who detect more acceptable. .........

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Q

Quin

Oct 28, 2015
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's an excellent "Self Certification Video on Digging a Plug" on the Task Force for Metal Detecting Rights Foundation website. Please review it. We all make plug digging mistakes when we first start out.
A little practice and digging a proper hole will become as easy as breathing in and out.
Good hunting

A link would be appreciated, thanks.

testing123

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2009
United States
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, TDI SL
nice finds! as others have said, try working on your pinpointing a bit. Once holes start getting bigger it can lead to some ugly grass for a while. If you'll be digging deeper targets, maybe consider a shovel designed to make clean edges. That will make things easier too.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Sometimes dead horses get beat on Tnet, and I'm sure you got the message about the plugs loud and clear.

Thanks for taking the time for the video. Cheers

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use an old inner tube from a large tire, cut into large sections.......the dirt slides right off back into my hole. Call a local tire shop. They'll be glad to give 'em to you........

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good finds guys, and nice video skills as well. I thought for sure you were going to pop a Mercury dime! Next time I bet.

I agree with beez0404 about using the towel. I use an old tea towel when I detect places like yours. It really does make it easy to keep the grass clean and replace the dirt. The spot you were detecting has really well manicured grass, I'd hate to see someone complain. When I'm out in the country I'm not quite so particular, but still always refill and stomp.

ALWAYS use a drop cloth for loose dirt when digging in mowed grass.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used a large sharp knife - cut perfect pugs and by using a pinpointer never have to remove dirt from hole - put back one plug perfectly
those clowns on TV have dug some nasty holes too and torn at grass on sides of holes when they miss dug - think others are learning bad habbits from them too
when you dig holes like that - grass will die and then when they mow - it will suck dry patches up and spit them out
continued good luck with finds -
but try and save our hobby - it does not take but a few more seconds to dig and bury properly and pick up your trash too
you don't want to go back to spots and redig it - Not meaning you specifically but for other newbies that read this

Diggin Dude

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2014
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds ! Congrats on the silver !!! Interesting comment about the OLD pulltabs made from 1962-1965...... I was born in 1966, I feel so much younger now !! LOL Happy Hunting !!

Diggin Dude

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2014
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use an old inner tube from a large tire, cut into large sections.......the dirt slides right off back into my hole. Call a local tire shop. They'll be glad to give 'em to you........

I know a guy from my club does the same thing! Great idea. Best thing is it doesn't absorb water like a cloth towel.

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Excellent video and good for you on all those silver coins!

tabman

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread