What's new

Silver plated lid top?

SkyPirate

Bronze Member
Joined
Mar 31, 2009
Messages
1,861
Reaction score
83
Golden Thread
0
Location
Raleigh North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I found this all I saw was the shiny silver edge which I believe is silver plate, some has worn off, the brown stuff is dirt. It's kind of oval shaped and has a grooved art deco type design on the sides and around the larger end. Has a large broken hole at the wide end and a smaller broken hole at the skinny end and a dent in the side. ??? I am thinking it might be the top to a lid on a fancy tea or coffee pot or the top to a lid for a platter from an old silver service set.

2 inches long and 4 inches around the widest part. Weighs 2 oz.

Is silver plate real silver?
 

Attachments

  • whatsit b.webp
    whatsit b.webp
    16.9 KB · Views: 549
  • A.webp
    A.webp
    13.8 KB · Views: 335
  • B.webp
    B.webp
    12.8 KB · Views: 330
  • C.webp
    C.webp
    10.6 KB · Views: 321
  • pot.webp
    pot.webp
    14.2 KB · Views: 331
  • F.webp
    F.webp
    23 KB · Views: 332
  • E.webp
    E.webp
    13.7 KB · Views: 329
  • D.webp
    D.webp
    20.6 KB · Views: 331
Re: Any ideas on this?

My WAG, the knob on the end of an indicator shift on a vehicle.
Mike
 
Upvote 0
Re: Any ideas on this?

:hello:

Looks like some type of finial....perhaps from a curtain pole :)

SS
 
Upvote 0
Re: Any ideas on this?

it's the top to an old fence post. A.K.A. finials
 
Upvote 0
Re: Any ideas on this?

Sniffer said:
it's the top to an old fence post. A.K.A. finials

But it had a chrome finish? ???
 
Upvote 0
Re: Any ideas on this?

I don't see chrome, I see white rusty paint, over top some kind of pot metal
 
Upvote 0
Re: Any ideas on this?

Sniffer said:
I don't see chrome, I see white rusty paint, over top some kind of pot metal
There is a chrome finish over the paint that you see, I will try to get another picture, The paint I think is a primer.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Any ideas on this?

Rando said:
SkyPirate said:
Sniffer said:
it's the top to an old fence post. A.K.A. finials

But it had a chrome finish? ???

i think your "chrome" finish might be a result of lead from the lead paint being rubbed to look shiny...
No way, I will try to get a better picture, its chrome or some kind of metal finish bright and shiny
 
Upvote 0
Re: Any ideas on this? New pictures!

The new pictures are the best I could do to show the silver plate.
 
Upvote 0
I saw silver plated pewter salt shaker that looked almost indentical to what you dug. It narrowed to to almost nothing at the bottom and had a flat base. It had a threaded lip on the top and a domed screw on cap.
 
Upvote 0
It looks like it could have been off an old bed frame. The old bed post that held the wire frame together had fancy tops on the four posts.
roger
 
Upvote 0
I thought it might be a top to a perfume bottle. I think I see DG but its probably just a scroll.
 
Upvote 0
bigcypresshunter said:
I thought it might be a top to a perfume bottle. I think I see DG but its probably just a scroll.

I agree; looks like a silver plated perfume bottle top, which was popular during the Victorian times. The ones pictured below might not be silver plated/metal; I really can't tell from the quality of the pic, but there were many metal top perfume bottles during that era. Breezie
 

Attachments

  • PerfumeBottles.webp
    PerfumeBottles.webp
    3.1 KB · Views: 269
Upvote 0
Breezie said:
bigcypresshunter said:
I thought it might be a top to a perfume bottle. I think I see DG but its probably just a scroll.

I agree; looks like a silver plated perfume bottle top, which was popular during the Victorian times. The ones pictured below might not be silver plated/metal; I really can't tell from the quality of the pic, but there were many metal top perfume bottles during that era. Breezie

The metal is pretty thick.
 
Upvote 0
SkyPirate said:
Breezie said:
bigcypresshunter said:
I thought it might be a top to a perfume bottle. I think I see DG but its probably just a scroll.

I agree; looks like a silver plated perfume bottle top, which was popular during the Victorian times. The ones pictured below might not be silver plated/metal; I really can't tell from the quality of the pic, but there were many metal top perfume bottles during that era. Breezie

The metal is pretty thick.
I think those perfume stoppers are almost solid. It looks like silver plated pot metal. Good pic Breezie. I couldnt find one.
 
Upvote 0
My wife has a side business making trophy's and plaques. I get to help her when I'm not working. That's why I thought it looked like one.
 
Upvote 0
I could tell you that it resembales the roach clip me and chong marion lost while shooting an intoxicating commercial but, mine was not silver it was painted white.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom