Silver value or Numismatic value ?

coolpix9

Bronze Member
Jan 17, 2007
Primary Interest:
Other
As of about 10 minutes ago when I wrote this, a 90% silver half dollar contained $11.16 worth of silver. My question for you guys and dolls is simple. Are run of the mill Walkers and Bens(obviously not key dates) worth more than their melt value ? Is there any reason to think the numismatic value of Bens and Walkers will out pace 1964 Kennedy Halves ?
Let's see what the "Golden Horde" does with this post. JP

Upvote 0
If you're selling the coin to a huge coin dealer, good luck getting more than melt. I understand what you mean, but unless the coin is a gem, you probrably won't get a premium from a dealer. Remember, these coins are going to a melting pot and recycled into other silver rounds and bars, or even perhaps a silver eagle from the US mint.

Personally, I would pay more than melt for nice walkers and bens, and maybe even 1964 kennedies.

I would say your best bet is ebay or a local coin meeting.(some areas have them and are held monthly on a specific date.)

Hope this helps,

HH and happy holidays, Hope there are many
"Silver Bells" in your future :wink:

Walkers - depends.

Bens - no.

A lot of people like walkers for their designs. Bens.... Not so much. I think lightly worn XF-AU walkers even common dates could bring a small premium for a lot of people. Not like $30 or anything like that, but I think they'd still sell at $13-15 at $11 melt. Of course, it all depends on where you are selling it. No coin dealer is going to pay a premium for circulated Walkers, but they'd still sell above melt at a flea market, craigslist or eBay. Well, and I suppose Bens can too, but not even a casual coin collector is likely to pick up a 1963 Ben when compared to a 40s walker.

I will always consider nice Walkers and Franklins too good to go to the smelter. I don't believe that many are being melted, as long as they can be sold for a premium over their melt value, which, in most cases they are. Just changing hands, avoiding the melting pot.
If I do ever sell my 90%, I doubt they will go to a dealer.

coolpix9 said:
As of about 10 minutes ago when I wrote this, a 90% silver half dollar contained $11.16 worth of silver. My question for you guys and dolls is simple. Are run of the mill Walkers and Bens(obviously not key dates) worth more than their melt value ? Is there any reason to think the numismatic value of Bens and Walkers will out pace 1964 Kennedy Halves ?
Let's see what the "Golden Horde" does with this post. JP

I trade all coins that have numismatic value to the local coin shop for junk silver coins. I would sooner have more silver in weight than less silver in weight but the same price in numismatic value. That is just me though.

Walkers are worth more than their melt value even for common ones since they are typically more worn and weigh less than Frankies and Kennedy 90%ers. So by that they are worth more even though they weigh less.

SFBayArea said:
Walkers are worth more than their melt value even for common ones since they are typically more worn and weigh less than Frankies and Kennedy 90%ers. So by that they are worth more even though they weigh less.

The two sentences you wrote contradict each other.

I don't buy much silver, but when I do, I always ask for Walkers, which they never seem to have in stock.

If I am buying dimes, I always buy Mercs.

I know with what very little I do buy that the difference in the end will virtually be nothing, but I like buying the older stuff when I can, even though I am buying for silver content.

clovis97 said:
I don't buy much silver, but when I do, I always ask for Walkers

hmmm, this seems familiar but i cant exactly put my finger on it
dosequis_interesting.jpg

fistfulladirt said:
I will always consider nice Walkers and Franklins too good to go to the smelter. I don't believe that many are being melted, as long as they can be sold for a premium over their melt value, which, in most cases they are. Just changing hands, avoiding the melting pot.
If I do ever sell my 90%, I doubt they will go to a dealer.

I agree. I find something just a little sad about sending a coin to the melting pot. It's irretrievably turning something that's just a little bit special, a little piece of history, into something generic and dumb and vanilla. Even if they had no numismatic value whatsoever, or were actually worth less for the same ounce weight, I'd rather have gold in St. Gaudens pieces than easier-to-store ingots. I think there are plenty of people who love coins for reasons other than their $$ market value, even coins that aren't special at all. Sorta like the comic book collector who saves titles with zero market value simply because he likes the art or read them as kids.

CardsNCoins said:
SFBayArea said:

The two sentences you wrote contradict each other.

I think I follow the logic. If all 90% junk is worth 25x face and some of them are lighter in weight than nominal, then they are worth more (marginally) than straight melt. Not sure if that is what SFB meant, but that is one way to read it.

EDIT: Guess I should stop using 25x face now given the latest happenings.

Attachments

• Silver.JPG
    Silver.JPG
    7.8 KB · Views: 612
A similar situation with canadian silver coins. Coins worth only silver consist of Queen Elizabeth II, King George VI and occasionally King George V. All common date, low grade but I would rather have the coins of George V and George VI compared to the coins of Elizabeth II any day.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back