What's new

Simple Scanning for Detectorists

John Winter

Hero Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2014
Messages
527
Reaction score
381
Golden Thread
0
Location
England
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is one of my most popular posts - resurrected and updated. How many times have you seen a blurred coin picture on your forum taken on the hand and with a lot of superfluous background? I’m sure that if you submitted the picture to Gypsy Petulengro she would be able to give you an accurate palm reading (the hand is always in perfect focus).

Simple Scanning for Detectorists | John Winter

Examples of Scans



 
Last edited:
But if you know how, they look good! Frank...- five star.webp
coins_0003 T 5 peso_edited-2.webp
coins_0002 H 5 peso.webp
 
I've made an up-date to this blog post.
 
Excellent work! And I added to my very stingy group of bookmarks!
 
But if you know how, they look good! Frank...

Frank, didn't you post that back months ago, used black shoe polish?
 
All depends who is taking the pictures, have never been a fan of scanning and I much prefer insitu pictures.

SS
 

Attachments

  • attachmentLGP8BT95.webp
    attachmentLGP8BT95.webp
    38.6 KB · Views: 95
  • stirrup ring.webp
    stirrup ring.webp
    66.9 KB · Views: 100
I've had good luck with scanning, but now I have a high dollar digital SLR camera, and haven't used the scanner for a long time. I think the camera takes fair to piddlin' close-ups.
Nevada2.webp points7.webp
 
Last edited:
Got to remembering about scanning stuff, and started looking for stuff I've scanned in the past. The largest was a cap and ball pistol -- here are some photos of scanned items from my past.
45-55.webpFound 45-70 cartridges.
capper005.webp The lid wouldn't close on this one.
MLPistol001.webpantique muzzle loading pistol.
gun worm1.webpa couple of gun worms.
All this stuff and more has been scanned, and it works slick for posting pictures, way better than fuzzy cell phone photos.
 
The scanner works great for flat objects, My best finds are usually rings and the scanner, not so good.

img004.webpimg005.webp
 
Frank, didn't you post that back months ago, used black shoe polish?

Shoe polish! lol,lol.
I sprayed it with black paint and quickly wiper it off with paint remover. It is an old trick I learned while working on Cash Registers. They use it to 'SHADE' their logo emblems. Yes I worked for NCR in the past, way back. You pick up the tricks as you go along in life.
Frank...-five star.webp111-1 profilecracked.webp
 
The best way to copy small objects is with a camera mounted on a copy stand that has side lighting and using a remote control switch. That way you eliminate the pulse shake from both ends, both hand and camera. The new 'copy 'tents' are good to. Yes, I have been in photography since the 70's. Hay, I think I have been in everything, lol.
Frank...-five star.webp111-1 profileblk.webp
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom