Electricbutter

Jul 4, 2017
Turners Falls Ma
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites MX Sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking for some information on these nonmetallic buttons that were apart of my button spill score the other day. They are green in color and kinda shimmer in the light when I rock it back in forth. Possibly made of bone? Any information is appreciated. Some Native American results pop up on google but Im skeptically that. My main goal is to identify the oldest and youngest button in the lot to help determine when it could of been lost. Thanks for the help ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1587310705.316237.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1587310718.230886.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1587310738.732158.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1587310750.119596.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1587310759.033085.jpg

I have found similar buttons on a site that dates back to the mid 1840s that also had NA history as well. These two are a finished bone button and an unfinished one as if they were making their own on site. I did not think mine were NA as per the saw marks. From my understanding, these were sewn onto a garment with a heavy decorative loop of thread sitting atop the button, to keep the button in place. Yours looks like they may have been colored or painter at one time.

20190821_170549.jpg

Upvote 0
I have seen bone game tokens about that same size but usually they do not have a hole in them.

Upvote 0
I know this might be a crazy thought but, could those buttons be made of asbestos? I know the material has been used for a very long time and I believe that it currently still mined in Canada just north of you. :dontknow:

Upvote 0
I have found similar buttons on a site that dates back to the mid 1840s that also had NA history as well. These two are a finished bone button and an unfinished one as if they were making their own on site. I did not think mine were NA as per the saw marks. From my understanding, these were sewn onto a garment with a heavy decorative loop of thread sitting atop the button, to keep the button in place. Yours looks like they may have been colored or painter at one time.

View attachment 1825264

Thanks for the information. I bet they were making buttons at your site. Neat! I was questioning the saw marks on mine seems like some of the groves were intentionally left or put on as part of the decoration and I can imagine a decorative ball of thread like to mentioned that would tie everything together. Cool. Thanks again.

Upvote 0
I know this might be a crazy thought but, could those buttons be made of asbestos? I know the material has been used for a very long time and I believe that it currently still mined in Canada just north of you. :dontknow:

Could be? I’ll have to google it. Thanks

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back