What's new

🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Skeleton key w/o a bow?

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Joined
Aug 1, 2017
Messages
2,316
Reaction score
3,897
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
Other
What I first thought was part of a skeleton key was dug near the front porch of a home dating to the 1840s. However after cleaning it I noticed there was a hole in the one end with threads inside and a flat spot (at 12 o’clock in third picture). Was unable to find a photo of a skeleton key w/o a bow – so decided to post. Any help with ID and age would be appreciated.
 

Attachments

  • Key1.webp
    Key1.webp
    117.8 KB · Views: 152
  • Key2.webp
    Key2.webp
    11.6 KB · Views: 128
  • Key3.webp
    Key3.webp
    7.1 KB · Views: 107
  • Key4.webp
    Key4.webp
    9 KB · Views: 113
I feel like i know this but just can't place it .... i would agree probably not a key for a lock....
 
Upvote 1
I feel like i know this but just can't place it .... i would agree probably not a key for a lock....
Another thing I thought of it some kind of handle. The flat area would prevent it from turning when tightening down w/ a screw. However, if it is a handle, don't know for what...
 
Upvote 0
Could be a winding key for a clock.
 
Upvote 2
with the flat area at the threaded hole end I’m thinking this is mor likely a switch or dial of some sort. If it’s brass I’d say it’s water or gas valve related.
 
Upvote 1
Could be a winding key for a clock.
Kac, thanks I did consider that. But its time to re-consider that possibility.
 
Upvote 0
I agree it looks like a clock key for winding the clock
dognose, thanks - will look at some more clock keys. BTW your icon is one fine arrowhead!
 
Upvote 0
with the flat area at the threaded hole end I’m thinking this is mor likely a switch or dial of some sort. If it’s brass I’d say it’s water or gas valve related.
dozer dan, thanks. Yes it is brass so will add switch/dial to the list of possibilities.
 
Upvote 0
Being brass makes me think of gas, brass doesn't spark so maybe something related to the gas lighting in the house maybe a key type device for turning up or down the gas for the lights? Don't know just throwing this out as another avenue to research.
 
Upvote 1
Being brass makes me think of gas, brass doesn't spark so maybe something related to the gas lighting in the house maybe a key type device for turning up or down the gas for the lights? Don't know just throwing this out as another avenue to research.
Back, thanks. I agree w/ your logic. Over the weekend I Googled similar ideas - but found no match yet. In spite of this - I still think it is along this line.
 
Upvote 1

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom