47.5 KB · Views: 731

funkman

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2006
Middletown, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro & Ace 250
Eugene,

I have found something similiar I think here in Ny state. Does it have initials above the "NO 98" ?

I will try to find my item and post it here to show you.

Funkman

Upvote 0

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
It is not a slave tag or hire badge. All genuine slave tags are from Charleston or Charleston Neck, South Carolina. They are dated by year, bear an occupation title ("Servant," "Porter," "Mechanic," "Fruiterer," etc.) as well as a tag/badge number, and are holed, not slotted, for suspension.

This item may be a claim check/tag for baggage, clothing or other personal property.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
E

eugenedickson42

PBK said:
It is not a slave tag or hire badge. All genuine slave tags are from Charleston or Charleston Neck, South Carolina. They are dated by year, bear an occupation title ("Servant," "Porter," "Mechanic," "Fruiterer," etc.) as well as a tag/badge number, and are holed, not slotted, for suspension.

This item may be a claim check/tag for baggage, clothing or other personal property.

Well you are talking about only 1800's slave tags what about the early ones? The 69 mustangs and the 2007 mustangs are updated so why cant the slave tags be updated from the seventeen hundreds and we know they are out there. Dont we?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
E

eugenedickson42

funkman said:
Eugene,

I have found something similiar I think here in Ny state. Does it have initials above the "NO 98" ?

I will try to find my item and post it here to show you.

Funkman
yes it has an A over the number

Upvote 0

UnknownBounty

May 26, 2006
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
That would be quite interesting if it is. I know those area's all had part in the "underground railroad".

Upvote 0

lucky1777

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2005
Illinois
Earliest slave tag known is from 1800. The tag you are showing does not look like any I have ever seen. Send some pics to the Charleston museum and see what they have to say.

Upvote 0
T

TreasureTales

The earliest known Slave Tag dates to around 1790. I've included a photo of it. It is actually for a free slave, and note that it is fairly ornate. Slave tags were apparently created when slaves were loaned or rented out to others. Therefore the name of the "owner" was frequently stamped on the tag, as well as the number and job title/description. So I concur with PBK...your find is probably not a slave tag.

Of course, you are free to agree or disagree if you choose to do so. I'm merely adding my newly-educated guess to this discussion.

gen028.JPG

Upvote 0

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
eugenedickson42 said:
Well you are talking about only 1800's slave tags what about the early ones? The 69 mustangs and the 2007 mustangs are updated so why cant the slave tags be updated from the seventeen hundreds and we know they are out there. Dont we?

I must admit that I have never seen any documentation of such tags— that is, other than the "Free" tag which has been cited. Perhaps you could post some photos or links to more information about them.

Upvote 0

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As PBK stated, all genuine slave tags are from Charleston or Charleston neck, there are no others. As also stated this appears to be a baggage or claim tag. Definitely not a slave tag.

Upvote 0

Gribnitz

Aug 1, 2004
l.cutler said:
As PBK stated, all genuine slave tags are from Charleston or Charleston neck, there are no others. As also stated this appears to be a baggage or claim tag. Definitely not a slave tag.

They are only from Charleston because slave owners were allowed to "rent" the slaves to others for labor . The tags were an effort to regulate people making money using the slaves for hired out labor.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
E

eugenedickson42

branchville sc was charlestown in early 1700s slaves had to be sold with tags to be transported to plantaions atmar tags ....look at the a over 98 who in those days would use that much brass on something for bagage or clothes to use one time

Upvote 0
OP
OP
E

eugenedickson42

pbk don'tread the books made 30 years ago in egypt they thought they found all the kings tombs ...but they found the mother load give them another 30 years...too much is in the ground to use what others say use your own judgement

Upvote 0
T

TreasureTales

eugenedickson42 said:
branchville sc was charlestown in early 1700s slaves had to be sold with tags to be transported to plantaions atmar tags ....look at the a over 98 who in those days would use that much brass on something for bagage or clothes to use one time

Just how big is this tag? You failed to put anything in the photo for use as a comparison. You didn't even give any dimensions. And to answer your (rhetorical ?)question about "who in those days would use that much brass on something for bagage [sic] or clothes to use one time"...many people had money in those days, just as today, and those people may very well have felt compelled to make large luggage or clothes tags. But I must question your contention that either of those uses would be "one time." Who says they would be used one time? We're not talking about the types of tags used on modernday railways and airlines. We talking about personal luggage and clothes tags. Those types of tags would be considered appropriate for permanent or longterm uses.

You solicitated opinions and ideas, now you can take them or leave them.

Upvote 0

lucky1777

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2005
Illinois
Well congratulations on your amazing find. I cant wait till I get to see your pic. in all the magazines. I will tell everyone that I had the privilege of seeing your amazing slave tag, before you became famous.

Upvote 0
T

TreasureTales

Will.Dig.For.Food (Patriots) your Slave Collar link is too funny. I guess there are actually people who would wear such things these days, of their own volition. LOL And, yes, you are correct in your statement about official vs. personal inventory slave tags. Also, The "A" on his tag could mean any number of things, too, so that doesn't prove (or disprove) anything IMO. Since he's a newbie I think he has been cut some slack in regards to his attitude, but he should not be so quick to disregard all the opinions--especially from PBK.

Now, where was that toll free number for ordering a slave collar........

Upvote 0

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
Is that a leather strap (dug?) that seems to be going through this item? (its possible I'm seeing this wrong)

Upvote 0

Blind.In.Texas

Bronze Member
Sep 1, 2006
Lone Star State
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TreasureTales said:
Will.Dig.For.Food (Patriots) your Slave Collar link is too funny. I guess there are actually people who would wear such things these days, of their own volition. LOL And, yes, you are correct in your statement about official vs. personal inventory slave tags. Also, The "A" on his tag could mean any number of things, too, so that doesn't prove (or disprove) anything IMO. Since he's a newbie I think he has been cut some slack in regards to his attitude, but he should not be so quick to disregard all the opinions--especially from PBK.

Now, where was that toll free number for ordering a slave collar........
What slave collar link? Not sure what happened. Shall I post it again????

Laater...

Upvote 0

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow,nice slave tag! Look I got one too.Mine has the owners name on it.Abloifia-very prominent slave owners in 19th century Charleston. ;) ::) You guys are too much.The slack was already cut by the way TT.

PBK said:
eugenedickson42 said:

I must admit that I have never seen any documentation of such tags— that is, other than the "Free" tag which has been cited. Perhaps you could post some photos or links to more information about them.
Still waiting...... ???

Attachments

• abolifia brass tag.jpg
    abolifia brass tag.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 452
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions