Small Coinstar find! [SILVER!]

Ziggurat

Mar 17, 2012
NJ
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This actually happened yesterday, but I just got around to getting on my computer today.

So I went into my local grocery store to pick up a couple of things. On my way out, I pondered if I should deviate from my path to the exit to check the Coinstar machine. I had a strange feeling that there may be something there, so I went and took a look. Nothing in the reject tray...but on top sat a little plastic cup. Inside was a clad US dime and (drumroll)...a 1938 Canadian dime :D! 80% silver! Not much, but silver is silver! I like smaller denomination junk silver anyway, so that really made my day.

Just a friendly reminder to ALWAYS check those Coinstar machines!!!

leprechaun

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030; The only metal detector I'll ever need
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

bigwayray

Tenderfoot
Aug 15, 2011
Ocala, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Took my coins to a coinstar and after putting $210 into the machine I found a silver dime in the reject tray that I missed along the way. Don't know how I missed it but the machine saved it for me. WooHooo

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I pulled a 1919 Merc and a 1957 Rosie in about 50 swings to date by the coinstar machines. I have also pulled about $20 in clad and another 20 or 30 foreign coins/tokens. I would still love to find the gold coin like the guy in UK did. There is a post about that somewhere around here on the site. Also craigslist just posted and ad....a woman accidentally left her grandmothers diamond ring in a purse and gave it to Goodwill. If MDn, Coin Roll Hunting, Coin Star searching, dumpster diving, and yard sale'ing is not enough... I guess there is always going thru pockets and purses at thrift stores.....I think I (we) need an intervention!!!!!!

silversnacher

Jun 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found another silver dime :) and a different day a 1943 steel wheat cent

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I love finding foreign coins...but I've never managed to find foreign silver. Congratulations.

I pulled a 1919 Merc and a 1957 Rosie in about 50 swings to date by the coinstar machines. I have also pulled about $20 in clad and another 20 or 30 foreign coins/tokens. I would still love to find the gold coin like the guy in UK did. There is a post about that somewhere around here on the site. Also craigslist just posted and ad....a woman accidentally left her grandmothers diamond ring in a purse and gave it to Goodwill. If MDn, Coin Roll Hunting, Coin Star searching, dumpster diving, and yard sale'ing is not enough... I guess there is always going thru pockets and purses at thrift stores.....I think I (we) need an intervention!!!!!!

I found $200 inside a skirt marker box that I got from Goodwill once. The bills were about 20 years old and in a Bank envelope. Unfortunately no deposit slip and the Bank was no longer in business. So I wasn't able to return the money to the owner. I did the next best thing...I handed it out as Christmas presents.

pirataborracho

Greenie
Jul 28, 2012
Fairfield, CA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202, Centech pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If MDn, Coin Roll Hunting, Coin Star searching, dumpster diving, and yard sale'ing is not enough... I guess there is always going thru pockets and purses at thrift stores.....
I always check the pockets before I buy something, never found a diamond ring, but have found old sunglasses that they had just sitting in the smaller pockets on jackets.

Beach Hunter

Jun 24, 2012
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250, Tesoro Sand Shark 10' coil Howie Scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
found a silver dime laying next to the Coinstar machine

gilgar

Mar 18, 2009
A Little South of Heaven
Detector(s) used
Garrett Treasure Ace 300
Nice! I check the coinstar every time, much to the embarrassment of my kids, but have yet to find silver. I've only found foreign coins, US change and once, a 1929 penny. Don't forget to check the floor around the machines, there's almost always some change dropped there. Recently they moved one of the machines about 6 inches to the right and I found plenty of change where it had been but still no silver!

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool find.................HH

Jarl

Jul 28, 2012
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CURRENT: E-Trac

FORMER:Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Garrett AT Pro & Garrett Pinpointer Pro Garrett GTAx 1000, Ace 250

HAVE USED: Teknetics & Bounty Hunters

WANT TO TRY: Tesoro and White's someday
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great story. I love the Coinstar find stories. Myself, I always check them all the time too. Have found silver dimes in the return tray. Also, found a Polish coin and Indian 1 Rupee coin. You never know. I always look under, behind and around the machine too. Also, if there is a garbage can near by...I look in there too because some people throw rejects in there, even at the bank's coin machine. If there is someone in front of me cashing in their jar or bag of change, I always try to ask them for their rejects...as they are often silver and SOMETIMES they give it to me, not really knowing or caring about it being silver. One time these two teenagers cashed in and I heard the silver hit the tray...I knew what it was by the sound, anyway, they took it out looking at it in a sort of dumbfounded way. I told them what it was, they looked at me...in a dumbfounded sort of way, said nothing and walked away. I guess, kids these days do not have the connection to silver that the 70's and earlier generations do? Not sure.

ynpto804

Jan 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Sun-ray X-5 coil and X-1 Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I too love coin stars! There is a bank in the same area, the teller there keeps a eye out for coins for me. When i stopped in before I met him he told about US large cents and proof sets he has gotten come through. Unreal. Keep at it, just stay away from mine! Lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions