small grooved hammers

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
These are the smallest I have found, one of my friends has one smaller from the same site. He owns the site.

anyone else have some little pounders?

DSCN3340.JPG

DSCN3339.JPG

Upvote 0

painterx7

Silver Member
Jul 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Them are nice I've never found one that small ;)

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice didn't know they came that small, are you sure they aren't weights. Great find

trevmma

Bronze Member
May 23, 2006
Detector(s) used
whites 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ive got a very small one ive found IMG_4806.JPG IMG_4806.JPG

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
Nobody has small hammers to show?

hey hey joel
we got some of them around here i will try to look for some
the nice granite ones could be decorative or war hammers that may have seen little use......
fishing weights are sandstone with a groove cut into them but i am only talking about this area and not anywhere else

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
i have some of these kind.....these are amongst the better examples but i took some images of the business ends and they do show wear
they are also kinda polished so i really can't see what their use would have been but they are granite and i like them

what do you think?

IMG_0219.jpg

IMG_0220.jpg

IMG_0221.jpg

IMG_0222.jpg

IMG_0223.jpg

OP
OP
quito

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
I figured you would be coming up with some nice examples Lars.

I forgot to mention, these were 3/4 groove. I am sure there were many uses for a small hammer, and ceremony seems least likely, to me anyway.

Whatever they were used for didn't leave any signs of any hard use, and 2 out of 3 of mine are pretty much completely polished. The other, not polished at all, so maybe just not finished.

OP
OP
quito

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
Yes sir, those are some dandies you have there. Completely different form as in they are thinner.

I think they would have been plenty of weapon to knock injured buffalo or enemies in the noggin to do them in.

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
ok i forgot about the 3/4 groove thingy
i don't have any of them
but i can get some more of this size and also more round ones
one i remember in particular is a very nice quartzite full groove piece that had a real nice groove and is about exactly the same size as a baseball
i will go see what else i can find now
larson1951

OP
OP
quito

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
so all of yours are full grooved then?

It's pretty amazing the various sizes. I have one 3/4 groove that weighs 13 pounds.

DSCN1077.jpg

DSCN1267.jpg

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
I thought the big one was an optical illusion. I am bad about looking at pictures before reading. Nice axe/maul Quito! I have a 3/4 grooved one.

image-840417166.jpg

image-4035168195.jpg

image-3407917668.jpg

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

It's pretty amazing the various sizes. I have one 3/4 groove that weighs 13 pounds.

Pretty sure that's a canoe anchor

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other

DSCN1077.jpg

DSCN1267.jpg

whoa man!
that is huge
i was just sayin i am gonna look for one hat is like the one in the bottom row in the middle that is made from quartzite
i might gotta go look at johns house across the river cuz he might have a real good one

larson1951

OP
OP
quito

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
Pretty sure that's a canoe anchor

I'm thinking Ice Breaker. No use wear at all, and was found right above the river. One that freezes every winter.

Trees were few and far between up here back then, and the rivers and creeks around here run to low for much navigation except during times of unusually high water. Spring melt, and after heavy rains.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neat piece whatever it is.
Seems like it would get beat up breaking ice.

Sheperdess

Jan 20, 2013
South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Teknetics
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a nice big one. We always figured they hobbled their horses with the big ones.

OP
OP
quito

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
Well if it is a hobble, it wasn't put to use yet. There is no sign of any wear. It was pecked to shape, and never polished.

gb...I don't think a few decades of slamming into ice would put much at all for wear marks on it. There is enough current the ice doesn't get real think, in fact it isn't completely frozen over very often at all. AND, they didn't have to get through 2 foot of ice, like we do in the lakes to ice fish in the dead of winter.

Anyway, who knows, it is just a simple theory I have had for a while now, just because of the lack of use wear, And where it was found. The stretch of river was known to be heavily used by the natives for swimming, bathing and washing. (I have some older neighbors who's grandparents, the homesteaders remember the natives living nearby, and that is the story.) So I suspect they needed access to the water at times when it was hard on top. A big rock is the best thing I can think of for getting through some river ice. I also understand the need to have a provision for attaching a rope to it, hence the 3/4 groove

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It would work great for that.
Nice one.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread