small grooved hammers

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
These are the smallest I have found, one of my friends has one smaller from the same site. He owns the site.

anyone else have some little pounders?

DSCN3340.JPG

DSCN3339.JPG

Upvote 0

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
A couple of rather knowledgable collectors in my area have mentioned heavy grooved stones, like yours being used to set up a trot line sort of deal. Instead of using hooks nets were used. A heavy weight would be placed on both sides of a creek or river and both would have one side of a net tied off to it. They were used in places with few trees, so I'm told and to top it off, not polished for the most part. I found a piece that I believe to be natural (now, not when I found it) by a stream. These two guys on separate occasions told me about the large net weights that were used on land.

image-3091580232.jpg

Odds are this thing is natural. I still keep it because I'm yet to find another piece of stone like this. It looks light, but it's heavy as crap.

OP
OP
quito

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
Hmmm.

That stone kinda looks like a petrified coral of some sort.

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
so all of yours are full grooved then?

It's pretty amazing the various sizes. I have one 3/4 groove that weighs 13 pounds.

DSCN1077.jpg

DSCN1267.jpg

You have some Very Nice ones there! :icon_thumleft:

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

blindpig

Sep 29, 2007
So. Cali
Detector(s) used
Well,.Sometimes ?
Here you go Quito ,. these were found near your back yard ,. in Lyon Co. Iowa ! The complete one was found by my grandpa ,. he collected a bit ,I've been told . I found the broke , at the Blood Run locality, back in 1977 . my grandpa's may have came from there as well ,as I've also heard that he had walked those fields as well . back in the 40's and 50's ??
both are full groove ,. possible the broke is the poll end of an axe ,. ??I think small maul/ hammer ? Like you ,. I suppose there would have been many uses for a such a tool about camp ,. so as for there use ??
thanks ,. Blindpig

Attachments

• DSC00942rs720x540.jpg
    DSC00942rs720x540.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 76

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems alot of these could be a tool salvaged from an axe at the end of it's life span

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
check out the round full groove quartzite approx baseball size on lower middle
this friend johns display case and artifacts from our mandan site
also a few other interesting hammers and various things

IMG_0234.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg these two i saw at an auction sale last summer

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
a lot of interesting theorys on the use of the big one......just sayin'

Hi Steve! What is your opinion or theory about the use of the large maul/axe? Do you think it's really a maul? I'm not sure, I'm sincerely asking. It seems to me that 13lbs is quite heavy to swing. The weight isn't the half of it. It looks like would be awkward. The weight may not be to bad for swinging if it had a different disposition. I would like to see everyone's take on what this piece was used for.

ncnurseryman

Jul 28, 2013
north carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was thinking the same thing. It looks very unmanageable to be swinging like an axe or maul. But who knows. I wasn't there back then. Ha.

painterx7

Silver Member
Jul 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The largest recorded grooved axe found was around 30 pounds well to b politically correct it was 30 something pounds ... There was a replica made and used I think it is possible for sure

painterx7

Silver Member
Jul 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Correction it was a 25 pd hard stone Celt found in Illinois

OP
OP
quito

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
I was thinking the same thing. It looks very unmanageable to be swinging like an axe or maul. But who knows. I wasn't there back then. Ha.

well, I am a concrete contractor, and I still have a 12 pound and I used to have a 16 pound sledge hammer, if that tells you how unmanageable 13 pounds may be.

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi Steve! What is your opinion or theory about the use of the large maul/axe? Do you think it's really a maul? I'm not sure, I'm sincerely asking. It seems to me that 13lbs is quite heavy to swing. The weight isn't the half of it. It looks like would be awkward. The weight may not be to bad for swinging if it had a different disposition. I would like to see everyone's take on what this piece was used for.

well, I am a concrete contractor, and I still have a 12 pound and I used to have a 16 pound sledge hammer, if that tells you how unmanageable 13 pounds may be.

i think either horse tether or hammer
the huge earth lodges that the women built sure must have taken some heavy hammers.....
also rusty it is one of my opinions that every lodge must have had one big maul that was used for breaking buffalo bones for marrow

otoh the two auction pieces i just posted show hammer usage wear....
.....but that big one that is posted by friend quito does not appear to have impact hammer type wear so it speaks horse tether......
it sure looks that way but i can't see the ends from the image posted.....may be we could get a look at the ends
one thing for sure is that a horse tether and a hammer are extremely similar and could possibly have served both purposes sometimes
whichever these are i gotta say they are very cool

larson1951

pickaway

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
Detector(s) used
ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've only ever found one in Ohio.

Attachments

• IMG_20131113_110422.jpg
    IMG_20131113_110422.jpg
    486.8 KB · Views: 109

bimini

May 14, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Grooved heavy stone

A couple of rather knowledgable collectors in my area have mentioned heavy grooved stones, like yours being used to set up a trot line sort of deal. Instead of using hooks nets were used. A heavy weight would be placed on both sides of a creek or river and both would have one side of a net tied off to it. They were used in places with few trees, so I'm told and to top it off, not polished for the most part. I found a piece that I believe to be natural (now, not when I found it) by a stream. These two guys on separate occasions told me about the large net weights that were used on land.

View attachment 898348

Odds are this thing is natural. I still keep it because I'm yet to find another piece of stone like this. It looks light, but it's heavy as crap.

I have a stone like this too. Found in a West Central Indiana creek bed. Weighs exactly 63 lbs. Did you ever figure out what it was? IMG_1365.JPG IMG_1366.JPG IMG_1367.JPG IMG_1368.JPG

tomclark

Bronze Member
Dec 18, 2006
Tampa Bay, FL
Detector(s) used
ShadowX2, TEJON, Eyes, Pony Shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Keep 'em coming. 'em R killers!!

Small grooved hammers (well, adzes...) are a little different down heah.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bim that looks more like a anchor if it isnt natural

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread