✅ SOLVED Snap shot of 1940s movie stars Who are they ???

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of the things I like to do is go through the boxes of old photo's found in antique stores. I came across a bunch that had old shots of Washington DC and some were handwritten with a blue ink pen with some info of the photo and a few with the date June 1943. This 5-1/4" x 4" B&W photo is handwritten on the back, "Science Research Lab Anacostia D.C. Movie Stars etc.(no info as to who these people are). I would say the tall fellow 4th from the left-back-row is Jimmy Stewart, but that's just my opinion for now. As for the other people or so called movie stars in the photo, I've no clue just who they are?... I would say the photo was out of a personal collection that someone took of a trip to Washington D.C. in 1943. I also purchsed other photo I liked of D.C. from the collection.

Attachments

• MV STARS 1.jpg
    MV STARS 1.jpg
    681.5 KB · Views: 516
  • MV STARS 2.jpg
    MV STARS 2.jpg
    565.9 KB · Views: 811
  • MV STARS 3.jpg
    MV STARS 3.jpg
    748.2 KB · Views: 401
Pretty sure we have Brenda dialed in, but that's just my opinion

Attachments

• image-428208045.jpg
    image-428208045.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 120
Upvote 0
Oops, forgot this picture.

Attachments

• image-2665375773.jpg
    image-2665375773.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 107
Upvote 0
Not dead certain but leaning towards Rosalind Russel

I should of guessed her sooner...this is Dorothy Lamour! "The Road to" movies with Bob Hope & Bing Crosby. I'm gearing this to be correct...I could be wrong, but it sure looks more like her than Rosalind Russell.

Upvote 0
I should of guessed her sooner...this is Dorothy Lamour! "The Road to" movies with Bob Hope & Bing Crosby. I'm gearing this to be correct...I could be wrong, but it sure looks more like her than Rosalind Russell.

After looking at pics of Dorothy Lamour, I agree with you. Her eyes help me decide. I added Dorothy to the pic in my last post.

:)
Breezie

Upvote 0
attachment.php

Hello Breezie,

Great job on this, young lady! I thought I had posted about the person identified as "Gene Raymond" behind John Payne's left shoulder, but I musta not pushed the button. I believe that is Jean Hersholt's hair there.

hersholt-jean.jpg Jean Hersholt​

Gene Raymond was a blond. ADDGeneRaymond.JPG

I believe, also that Ensign Wayne Morris is standing next to Gene Autry, but am still scratching my head on that other "Wayne Morris", beside him.

hw-victory-caravan-1942.jpg

Upvote 0
Pick one. . .Jean or Gene . . .and I'll tag the photo.

Breezie

JeanorGene.jpg

Upvote 0
Jimmy Stewart? Sure looks like Ronald Regan to me ........

Reagan by a nose..........:tongue3:

GoodGuy, I agree with you; the guy in the UNIFORM does look like Ronald Reagan, :icon_thumright: . .but Reagan was not in active duty during FDR's January 30, 1942 party. He enlisted in 1937, but was not called to active duty until April 18, 1942. I guess it was possible for him to wear a uniform to the party since he was enlisted, but Jimmy Stewart was a 1st Lieutenant at the time of the party.

Breezie

Upvote 0
Wow, It's all just about solved. The bald guy is all that's left. Who could he be? A German spy???

Upvote 0
I can't place him. But the list references Bonita Granville, with no mention of any Deanna Durbin, so I would have to vote for that change.

Attachments

• image-2773245499.jpg
    image-2773245499.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 71
  • image-4195469955.jpg
    image-4195469955.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 59
  • image-2601379992.jpg
    image-2601379992.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 63
Upvote 0
I would go with Bonita Granville the male actor with her in the swim trunks looks to be same as 1 standing behind her.

Upvote 0
GoodGuy, I agree with you; the guy in the UNIFORM does look like Ronald Reagan, :icon_thumright: . .but Reagan was not in active duty during FDR's January 30, 1942 party. He enlisted in 1937, but was not called to active duty until April 18, 1942. I guess it was possible for him to wear a uniform to the party since he was enlisted, but Jimmy Stewart was a 1st Lieutenant at the time of the party.

Breezie
Definitely Jimmy Stewart I have seen It's A Wonderful Life way to many times not to recognize him

Upvote 0

Breezie

You must have been writing your reply while I was deleting my post. You are right it is Jimmy Stewart I realized it after comparing the hair lines.

GG~

Upvote 0
I STILL think the guy in the middle is Secretary of the Navy Frank Knox:

n010469.jpg

He is the guy with the biggest reason to be at the reasearch lab as he was the boss. And he was a big political player in DC at the time and would not pass up this kind of photo opportunity.

Attachments

• guyinthemiddle.jpg
    guyinthemiddle.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 58
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back