nuggethuntr
Tenderfoot
- #1
Thread Owner
Hi guys...
I've been a lurker here for some time, but decided I might as well jump in and ask some questions.
Has anyone purchased the kit on eBay for the XR71p (ships from Bulgaria) and built the detector? If so, how were your results in testing and in the field? For those who don't know what this detector is it's a pretty close version of the Delta Pulse deep-seeking PI detector - and similar to the Maxi-Pulse (and Plus), and Pulse Star detectors that use a PVC frame (1 meter up) to support the coil wire... at a mere fraction of the cost - about $270. Of course, one has to assemble it and there would still be the added cost of building the large coil but that shouldn't be too much.
I know that Darren in NC built one of Gary's PI units with apparant success, but I think that kit needs to be built from the ground up – PC board and all. I don't know if I'm quite smart enough for that
The XR71p has the PC board assembled and tested and supposedly all one has to do is solder the knobs, etc. on and mount it all into the supplied control box. I think I could handle that. I'm just not sure how deep it actually goes and performs in the field.
I need a deep seeking detector to work a cornfield (for caches) that I found was a popular camping site for thousands of immigrants. I got permission from the landowner last spring and so far with the limited time I've been able to hunt (with crops and all) I've found several indications that this was a heavily travelled area - horseshoes, uncut musketballs, campfire rings, etc. I just don't know if the XR71p is the answer ie. worth the trouble to build. Oddly, the soil here has a lot of black sands in it, so I think 2-box units would be out (perhaps someone can correct me on that). I rented a magnetometer but it went wild. The rental place has no other detector to try.
I need to decide something soon as I’m running out of time. Planting season is just around the corner and I told the landowner I’d stay out once crops were in.
If nothing else, perhaps I can work out something with someone who owns a reliable deep seeking unit?
Your thoughts would be much appreciated
I've been a lurker here for some time, but decided I might as well jump in and ask some questions.
Has anyone purchased the kit on eBay for the XR71p (ships from Bulgaria) and built the detector? If so, how were your results in testing and in the field? For those who don't know what this detector is it's a pretty close version of the Delta Pulse deep-seeking PI detector - and similar to the Maxi-Pulse (and Plus), and Pulse Star detectors that use a PVC frame (1 meter up) to support the coil wire... at a mere fraction of the cost - about $270. Of course, one has to assemble it and there would still be the added cost of building the large coil but that shouldn't be too much.
I know that Darren in NC built one of Gary's PI units with apparant success, but I think that kit needs to be built from the ground up – PC board and all. I don't know if I'm quite smart enough for that

The XR71p has the PC board assembled and tested and supposedly all one has to do is solder the knobs, etc. on and mount it all into the supplied control box. I think I could handle that. I'm just not sure how deep it actually goes and performs in the field.
I need a deep seeking detector to work a cornfield (for caches) that I found was a popular camping site for thousands of immigrants. I got permission from the landowner last spring and so far with the limited time I've been able to hunt (with crops and all) I've found several indications that this was a heavily travelled area - horseshoes, uncut musketballs, campfire rings, etc. I just don't know if the XR71p is the answer ie. worth the trouble to build. Oddly, the soil here has a lot of black sands in it, so I think 2-box units would be out (perhaps someone can correct me on that). I rented a magnetometer but it went wild. The rental place has no other detector to try.
I need to decide something soon as I’m running out of time. Planting season is just around the corner and I told the landowner I’d stay out once crops were in.
If nothing else, perhaps I can work out something with someone who owns a reliable deep seeking unit?
Your thoughts would be much appreciated

Hello to everyone.I always visited this website but never joined.I am familiar with the Sniffer kit on ebay.Please bear in mind that I have never owned a metal detector until just recently.I am totally unbiased.After literally weeks and weeks and hours and hours on youtube I finally bought the Grizzly Twins IB and PI detector from Bulgaria.It is two detectors in one.Now I know everyone has their favorite detector,I didn't.I took a gamble and prayed it performed like the demo videos.I bought it for only one specific job,that's right,only one.There's a small cache of buried gold coins 90miles from where I live and to date no one has found them,in fact,I don't even know if any one has even looked for them or if someone has found them and kept it a secret.I've been to the area to verify the story and the historical record is correct.The cache is buried in less than 3ft. of soil.I didn't have thousands to spend on the high end PI detectors but needed something that I know would give a hit on a target up to 3ft. deep.I've only had it a week and have done only a few basic tests.It's been so windy and cold where I'm at that I always had to cut short the tests.Now this is very,very preliminary,but so far this detector has exceeded my expectations.I placed a few pennies in a round tin that is about 4inches in diameter.I buried the tin 3ft. deep on the beach at the Atlantic Ocean.I switched the detector to IB mode(inductive balance) with the large DD coil for IB and slowly swung the coil over the target.I got a very strong reading,very strong.I then changed the coil for PI mode(a different coil is needed) and swung it over the target.The detector went off like a firecracker.Very,very strong signal.It also came with a 3ft.X3ft. square frame for larger deeper targets which I haven't experimented with yet.I haven't gone detecting on the beach or woods yet.Am waiting for better weather.So all I can say now is that it performed for the reason I bought it.I'll let everyone know of it's maximum depths and the size of the targets soon.A break in the weather is coming so I'll be able to find out it's limits.









