So is whites outta business?

Hookka

Apr 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett AT GOLD, Minelab Equinox 800, Tesoro Sandshark, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a post on big boys hobbies that says:

To our valued White's Dealers- This is a very difficult message to write, but the time has come for retirement from White's Electronics. We are suspending manufacturing operations at our Sweet Home facility while we re-evaluate the future of the company. It is never easy to make these decisions, however, we are faced with the reality of intense competition in the industry and ongoing counterfeit instruments coming from China. Lastly, there have been critical material shortages since the Covid 19 shutdown that we now find insurmountable. All of us here in Sweet Home are grateful for your service. We consider each you part of the White's extended family.

Sincerely, Ken White

Please leave a comment below and let us know what your favorite or first whites machine is!

Thanks!

I was really looking to buying a TDI Beach Hunter but between it being almost impossible to find someone to ship overseas and now potentially not having warranty support I don't know what to think. The dealer that told me about this also mentioned Fisher fired their CEO recently and I was waiting for years for their beach machine to come out. Does anyone know anything about this? Will whites machines still come with a warranty at this point? I know from talking directly with some guys at minelab they are not intending on releasing any new beach machines are focusing on gold mining and prospecting for the moment.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Centerville Electronics in Virginia is still repairing White's, but I'm not sure about warranty. You could call them.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you question the post by BBH? Do you think Bart is lying? Yes, Whites is done. No, there is no more warranty work, it doesnt matter how old the detector is. They are still great detectors, but any repairs costs are completely on you.

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Custom Designs and Prototypes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The dealer that told me about this also mentioned Fisher fired their CEO recently...

The CEO of Fisher (First Texas) is the owner. I work there, and when I talked to him yesterday he made no mention that he had fired himself.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The CEO of Fisher (First Texas) is the owner. I work there, and when I talked to him yesterday he made no mention that he had fired himself.

:laughing7:

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
you question the post by BBH? Do you think Bart is lying? Yes, Whites is done. No, there is no more warranty work, it doesnt matter how old the detector is. They are still great detectors, but any repairs costs are completely on you.

There IS warranty work. Centreville Electronics is taking care of it for Whites. Whites also told me, in a phone message Tuesday, they are reopening their repair center in Oregon for 3 or 4 weeks.
Jim

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There IS warranty work. Centreville Electronics is taking care of it for Whites. Whites also told me, in a phone message Tuesday, they are reopening their repair center in Oregon for 3 or 4 weeks.
Jim

HOW is warranty work being done? A warranty is a company paying for repairs. Whites closed, so who is going to pay that repair shop for work? Just because someone is stepping up and saying "we can still repair these" doesnt equal warranty. 3-4 weeks? thats nothing more than clearing out the detectors still waiting to be repaired.

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Centreville has been the east coast repair center, for Whites, for many years. I'm not interested in how the warranty work is being done...simply that it is being done. All I'm doing here is giving out what information I have. And, Whites are NOT closed. Go back and read the letter Ken White wrote to his dealers. He left a lot of room for re-organizing the company. None of us really know what's currently going on.
Jim

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If one looks on Whites Electronics facebook page, Whites is stating that warranty and out of warranty repair will be handled by Centreville Electronics going forward. Centreville has had a long standing relationship with Whites.

Wayne

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Whites reopened their Oregon repair center. Will be open for 3 or 4 weeks. They just sent me a new coil for my GM24K, replacing the 6 x 10 that was falsing. Also sent the bad one back, at my request, so I could try and fix it well enough to use as a backup. That GREAT customer service has NOT gone away, even if they are closing. I'd buy any of their products, were I in the market, without worrying about the warranty holding up.
Jim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread