So... Please tell me Why does a metal detector cost $2499 again?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not paying much anytime soon. I just sent mine in for the software upgrade and should be good for another seven years. My vehicles have to be big enough to carry a couple model airplanes with 85" wingspans. No problem with a detector.

Nothing wrong with a polymer lower shaft fastened to the coil of a metal detector. ;-) The less distorted the field is by local metal the better (IMHO).

I suppose I could have my legs chopped at the knee and then I could eliminate the middle shaft section.

I'm thinking you're poised to offer the world a great design at a fair price. Market your own detector built the way you want it done.

Nice carbon fiber shaft and control box with WiFi and Bluetooth so there are no cables. Watertight to 6 ATM. Voice recognition search mode menu selection. Satellite image on the 6" wide display showing your location. Coin image recognition software that grades the coin and looks up the current PCGS value.

Not paying much anytime soon. I just sent mine in for the software upgrade and should be good for another seven years. My vehicles have to be big enough to carry a couple model airplanes with 85" wingspans. No problem with a detector.

Nothing wrong with a polymer lower shaft fastened to the coil of a metal detector. ;-) The less distorted the field is by local metal the better (IMHO).

I suppose I could have my legs chopped at the knee and then I could eliminate the middle shaft section.

I'm thinking you're poised to offer the world a great design at a fair price. Market your own detector built the way you want it done.

Nice carbon fiber shaft and control box with WiFi and Bluetooth so there are no cables. Watertight to 6 ATM. Voice recognition search mode menu selection. Satellite image on the 6" wide display showing your location. Coin image recognition software that grades the coin and looks up the current PCGS value.

I understand. You bought a truck to move your metal detectors around. The portability is not an issue for you.
Generally you shouldn't have to.

I use a dirt bike. I couldn't get to my best sites with a truck.

I'm not familiar with the F75, The GPS's are getting common now. Stand alone they cost $49 at Walmart. They also used to come with the $250 Duck Dynasty series a while back (LOL seriously).
It might be a good detector, most are.
Are they current with modern technological standards? Who knows?

You probably don't care, but do you think it cost more then $75 to produce it.
Would spending $10 more on more up to date technology on behalf of the manufacturer have greatly improved it?
Any idea at all what's driving it.?
Of course you are paying to send it back for "software updates".
Do you know what that means? Does it matter at all.? Probably not huh?
Just wondering

Last edited:
Paying to send it back beats having an obsolete detector. Better would be a USB port - but there is enough trouble already with Asian theft clones so I can't blame them. I don't see many others upgrading units and coils of their seven year old machines to keep them cutting edge. (was a $900 detector in 2007 - around $1,450 now). Fisher actually replaced the whole display/grip/processor housing assembly on mine and put a new board in the coil.

A CD costs about 38¢ to produce - but musicians have to eat. Manufacturers sell for what the market will bear. There is an ongoing exercise in how much a human body is worth - in the U.S. we have $160.00 worth of elements; but could be parted out for $45 million for the bone marrow, organs, DNA, etc.

Value of technical equipment extends beyond components and assembly labor. There is research, testing, programming, mark-up to cover "free" warranty repairs and replacements, advertising, sponsorship of events (and websites), lord knows what all else specific to that industry.

I'm not sure where you're wanting to go with this. Apparently no company makes a detector you like. Why is that our fault? I like my detector because I researched it carefully and chose one that did what I wanted. I've actually got two very different detectors from two very different manufacturers and I like them both: for some common and a few very different approaches. The Minelab has the ability to remove the control/battery box and mount in a shoulder strap and telescope the shaft - something that would be easy for you to transport (I would think).

I have packed my Fisher two to five miles in on foot for certain spots. Not all that difficult.

Last edited:
If these companies sold the detectors for what they cost to make there would be no reason to make them. Profit is what drives any business... supply and demand dictate the price.

Does it really cost $50,000.00 to build a Corvette?

Does it really cost $100,000.00 to build a home?

Does it really cost $250,000.00 to transplant a heart?

Why do companies charge more for more features?

People charge what they CAN... not what they SHOULD.

Some people choose to be more frugal and opt for a "no frills" entry level metal detector. Others may want a detector that offers more features or a proven track record, and that equates to more money.

I could use a Dollar Store socket set or I could use Craftsman set, I choose the latter because I desire top of the line tools.

Don't hate on the guy driving a Corvette simply because you are driving a Chevette. Just because somebody has a expensive metal detector doesn't mean they are some rich yuppie idiot, maybe they just want the best detector money can buy.

If these companies sold the detectors for what they cost to make there would be no reason to make them. Profit is what drives any business... supply and demand dictate the price.

Does it really cost $50,000.00 to build a Corvette?

Does it really cost $100,000.00 to build a home?

Does it really cost $250,000.00 to transplant a heart?

Why do companies charge more for more features?

People charge what they CAN... not what they SHOULD.

Some people choose to be more frugal and opt for a "no frills" entry level metal detector. Others may want a detector that offers more features or a proven track record, and that equates to more money.

I could use a Dollar Store socket set or I could use Craftsman set, I choose the latter because I desire top of the line tools.

Don't hate on the guy driving a Corvette simply because you are driving a Chevette. Just because somebody has a expensive metal detector doesn't mean they are some rich yuppie idiot, maybe they just want the best detector money can buy.

I have a Corvette, it actually cost General Motors much more than $50,000 to make one.
Yeah, look it up.
I'm not hating on anyone.

We all have different expectations and reasons for what we do.
Does your metal detector fit in your car?

Last edited:
I own a Mazda MX5 and I put 2 Minelab excals and a Sov GT inside it when I take it to the beach...

Posted From My $50 Tablet....

I own a Mazda MX5 and I put 2 Minelab excals and a Sov GT inside it when I take it to the beach...

In how many pieces total?

All 3 fit in front seat and this is with top up too....

LOL, I remember going to the circus when I was a kid.
It was a site to see.
I saw 18 clowns climb out of a VW bug.

Percentage wise the cheese enchilada dinner at Casa Ole is more than that 2300 dollar detector. At least you get to keep the detector.

Why are you on this forum?
What is your purpose?
Have you spoke to manufacturers of these "Tools"?
You do realize we are the end users of these "Tools" don't you?

Horse is about dead, quit beatin' on it.

Step right up folks. Just 2.99 a swing. Good ol fashioned value bang for your buck. (Stick rental available. Void where prohibited.)

s9c.gif

This thread was nothing more than beating a dead horse after page 1

I have a Corvette, it actually cost General Motors much more than $50,000 to make one.
Yeah, look it up.
I'm not hating on anyone.

We all have different expectations and reasons for what we do.
Does your metal detector fit in your car?

Excuse me if I'm wrong... but isn't this thread hating on expensive metal detectors and the "inexperienced fools" who buy them?

We all own Corvettes! ::) :laughing7: Look it up...

First off the materials cost nowhere near that much, secondly after the Government bailout and restructuring, GM has less overhead. The reason GM was losing money was the cost of retirement and pensions of aging workers. They are losing money on the Volt but not the Vette.

If one adds up the TOTAL costs of manufacturing and selling a metal detector the price exceeds the cost of the electrical components. Maybe Minelab is losing money on a $2500.00 metal detector. Have you checked their quarterly report? Have you checked GM's?

"it actually cost General Motors much more than $50,000 to make one. Yeah, look it up."

Ok so I looked it up... this is what I found! :laughing7:

Corvette: Profitable For General Motors | GM Authority
The Corvette Is A Profitable Affair For General Motors

But that’s not to say that the Corvette’s sales are underwhelming — quite the contrary: for a car that’s about to be replaced by an all-new model — the 2014 Corvette Stingray – the C6 sold well in 2012. But with that kind of low sales volume, one might think that The General might be taking a loss on the Corvette to drum up the image of the Chevrolet brand. This is not the case, as the Corvette turns a healthy profit by itself, according to President of GM North America Mark Reuss.
“This [The Corvette] makes as much money as any of the top-profit models in our company,” Reuss said. “That is why we do it.”

Build Your Own Supercar: 2015 Corvette Z06 | Chevrolet
Build & Price Your 2015 Corvette Z06

2015 Corvette Z06 Coupe 3LZ fully loaded... Price - $116,220.00
But she sure is a puuuurdy thang!!!

image.jpg

Last edited:
I have spent .....about 1500.00 on 5 detectors....i have paid 4 them at least 10 times over...swing the coil where the money is...lol

Hey fletch, I like the fact the execal can be programmed by your computer. It also is king in a iron infestation patch if you follow other users post. But I say I am king with my F75. Could I use a ATX or a CTX3030, yes I could. But my Bounty Hunter 202 could feel and 90% of the targets my F75 does. I just don't have the patience to deal with a low end detector unless I need a preset ground balance. What do you get for a 2200 hundred dollar detector. You get options, and options makes you more finds. Of course the Fisher series can almost be called the detector that does it all. I have received no freebies for my brand loyalty. But I am willing to test out the the new F44, hint hint.

I have just as much fun using detectors as I do finding stuff. Always been a gadget guy and always will be. If I had the finances I would be swinging a Deus, a CTX, A Etrac, and a F75 because they all give a different experience detecting. I started with a Bounty Hunter, then F2, then F5, and a Explorer should be at my door any day now. I get as excited about that, like I do when I pull a gold ring out of the ground. Gotta love this hobby!

Excuse me if I'm wrong... but isn't this thread hating on expensive metal detectors and the "inexperienced fools" who buy them?

We all own Corvettes! ::) :laughing7: Look it up...

First off the materials cost nowhere near that much, secondly after the Government bailout and restructuring, GM has less overhead. The reason GM was losing money was the cost of retirement and pensions of aging workers. They are losing money on the Volt but not the Vette.

If one adds up the TOTAL costs of manufacturing and selling a metal detector the price exceeds the cost of the electrical components. Maybe Minelab is losing money on a $2500.00 metal detector. Have you checked their quarterly report? Have you checked GM's?

"it actually cost General Motors much more than $50,000 to make one. Yeah, look it up."

Ok so I looked it up... this is what I found! :laughing7:

View attachment 1109087

No we don't all have Corvettes, but I do, and like I said it cost General Motors a whole lot more than $50,000 to make a new one, Look it up

So would you consider paying more than $2500 for a CTX 3030?
How much more would you be willing to pay? Just curious.

Why are you on this forum?
What is your purpose?
Have you spoke to manufacturers of these "Tools"?
You do realize we are the end users of these "Tools" don't you?

Horse is about dead, quit beatin' on it.

You paid a LOT, didn't you? LOL.....

You're Soooo smart aren't you. I've listened to you for fifty one pages and haven't told you yet.....because you just ASSumed. So here it is smartie guy. I paid exactly..............$0.00 for it. How and why is none of your business.....but one more time.....$0.00! LOL

For fifty one pages everyone has told you that it's their prerogative to buy what ever they want without your condescending attitude.

For fifty one pages everyone has responded to your opinions of how crappy pretty much all detectors.

For fifty one pages we have been assaulted by your ego.

So there it is.....$0.00. Explain diminishing returns to me on $0.00. If I sold my Minelab CTX 3030 tomorrow, from recent closed auctions I estimate an average of $2050.00.

So, Please do the math for me........................What is the percent of return on my money? ($0.00 - $2050.00)

I wait with baited breath for your most intelligent, well thought out, enlightening response.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back