SOLVED! Ambrotype Photo Civil War Militia Member Georgia

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Any military guys here that can identify who these two are fighting for? I am going to be really embarrassed if it is the US.

Even with a loupe I can't make out the first letter on the hat of the first guy. It's either "D" "O" or "Q" (I think). The second letter appears to be a "U".

soldier1.jpg

soldier2.jpg

OP
OP
hombre_de_plata_flaco

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
I think if anything were to be gleaned from that photo I believe it would come from the design on the buttons and the hat. These photo collector guys are like forensic document examining phenoms. One collector has even identified specific studios and photographers by closely examining the reflection in the pupils of the soldiers. They can sometimes tell if the light is coming from a front window or skylight, and what sort of camera the photographer was using based on the shape of the outline reflected in the soldiers eyes.

I know your relatives items are nothing you would ever consider selling, but the fact you know the name of the soldier in question and are in possession of supporting documents adds much to the historical and monetary value of the photo.

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
hombre_de_plata_flaco said:
I know your relatives items are nothing you would ever consider selling, but the fact you know the name of the soldier in question and are in possession of supporting documents adds much to the historical and monetary value of the photo.
I gave everything to my brother and I hope he will pass it down to the kids. Its a shame how little some of us know about our ancestors. Try to find out all you can while older family members are still alive. I have many questions but its too late now to ask.

I cant see the buttons but Ill try again to look.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
hombre_de_plata_flaco

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
bigcypresshunter said:
I gave everything to my brother and I hope he will pass it down to the kids. Its a shame how little some of us know about our ancestors. Try to find out all you can while older family members are still alive. I have many questions but its too late now to ask.

Fortunately for me while I was being young, drunk, stupid, and chasing tail, my 2nd cousin did extensive genealogical research on my family. She identified all Revolutionary and Civil War (and every other war) veterans in my family as well as their detailed military information and final resting places. She is in the DAR and the UDC. She published all the findings and photos in a small book that I have spent most of my life ignoring.

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
bigcypresshunter said:

Fortunately for me while I was being young, drunk, stupid, and chasing tail, my 2nd cousin did extensive genealogical research on my family. She identified all Revolutionary and Civil War (and every other war) veterans in my family as well as their detailed military information and final resting places. She is in the DAR and the UDC. She published all the findings and photos in a small book that I have spent most of my life ignoring.
Wow thats amazing.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread