What's new

Some stone tools

painterx7

Silver Member
Joined
Jul 20, 2013
Messages
2,894
Reaction score
2,579
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shaft abraders and wood and bone tip shaping tools the pair on the the bottom are identical found in the same site the both even have a small fine tuning tip shaper on the bottom of each thought I would share ;)
 

Attachments

  • image-256212139.webp
    image-256212139.webp
    39 KB · Views: 140
  • image-1644992996.webp
    image-1644992996.webp
    42.2 KB · Views: 130
  • image-2116411980.webp
    image-2116411980.webp
    48 KB · Views: 140
  • image-1147324627.webp
    image-1147324627.webp
    44.4 KB · Views: 124
Upvote 0
I found one today with a hole in it but I am not sure if it isnt just natural. Ill show you it and let me know.
 

Attachments

  • 100_4387.webp
    100_4387.webp
    174.7 KB · Views: 117
  • 100_4388.webp
    100_4388.webp
    164.1 KB · Views: 107
I believe they utilized natural rocks like these. Does yours have an indention for a shaft abrader too it looks like it might either way it's probable use may have been a fire starter as your picture show for protecting the hand from the spindle friction .What the bottom look like ?
 
Its just a river cobble but the guy that was with me said it looked like a fire started type of tool for the had held part so the stick wouldnt go through their hand. I really dont know but I do know they dont come with the hole usually in them. This is the first one I have ever found like it.
 

Attachments

  • 100_4389.webp
    100_4389.webp
    162.1 KB · Views: 121
  • 100_4390.webp
    100_4390.webp
    134.7 KB · Views: 132
Here's a match to yours rock it is in my fire starter section haha
 

Attachments

  • image-2528934004.webp
    image-2528934004.webp
    48.9 KB · Views: 107
  • image-1998414759.webp
    image-1998414759.webp
    55.3 KB · Views: 120
So on the subject of "holey" rocks, I found this a few weeks ago, and I kept it, because I simply thought you could use it to make fire. The hole on the one side Is 2 inches deep and there is a groove for where your thumb fits nicely, and the back side has a groove that fits that forefinger nicely, almost as if to hold the rock and blow on it while another works a stick. Could this be something for that? Not sure, that's why I ask you guys...

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
 

Attachments

  • uploadfromtaptalk1382407180763.webp
    uploadfromtaptalk1382407180763.webp
    41.3 KB · Views: 114
2

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
 

Attachments

  • uploadfromtaptalk1382407253362.webp
    uploadfromtaptalk1382407253362.webp
    22.9 KB · Views: 110
3

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
 

Attachments

  • uploadfromtaptalk1382407279028.webp
    uploadfromtaptalk1382407279028.webp
    440.6 KB · Views: 111
4

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
 

Attachments

  • uploadfromtaptalk1382407322090.webp
    uploadfromtaptalk1382407322090.webp
    43.9 KB · Views: 111
Maybe some kind of shaping tool painterx7???

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
 
I couldn't say for 100% but that piece you have wether natural or not looks like it was used for something more like shaping wood or bone or perhaps a fire starter I'd say nice find and keep looking for similarities in other pieces as you look
 
Pieces like these are tough to identify without finding other points or none tools so I just keep them in there own spot for future references we are all learning as we go just pieces to the puzzle haha good thing about rocks they don't go bad ;)
 
I dont know for sure on mine cause the color is different in the hole than on the outside of it. It has creek stain all over it but the hole area. Its real smooth in the inside of the hole like it was used but like I said it could still be natural. Interesting though, thanks
 
The hole does normally see less weather and damage so it is hard to tell
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom