Sorority/Fraternity Pin? Looks and feels like 10K....

CZconnoisseur

Jun 29, 2015
Colorado Springs CO
Detector(s) used
XP Deus All Three Coils (9" currently), Tesoro Vaquero 8x9 and 5.75" DD coil, Fisher F70, White's Spectrum XLT, White's IDX, Garrett AT Pro, Fisher 1265-X, Fisher CZ5, Fisher CZ6, White's TM808, White
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got this old pin today but I haven't seen any online info about it anywhere. Don't see any markings except "1677" and "3I" (maybe 31?) and "L.B.Sutherland" on the back. The front shows the letters "EX" and "Colorado". I know many people like to engrave the date they were accepted into the fraternity/sorority with their name, but I'm stumped. Looks like a garnet inset and the engraving looks

Found it at an old local college dating back to the 1870s. Any ideas?

SAM_2419.JPG SAM_2420.JPG SAM_2421.JPG SAM_2422.JPG SAM_2423.JPG SAM_2418.JPG

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kind of looks like a very fancy, personalized watch winder, maybe to go with a gold retirement watch? Sub 8-)

Upvote 0

Dakota Sioux

Nov 11, 2015
South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT- Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its a Chi Epsilon Key. Civil Engineering Honor Society founded in 1922. Yours looks to be a Colorado chapter 1931 date belonging to Mr Sutherland.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
CZconnoisseur

CZconnoisseur

Jun 29, 2015
Colorado Springs CO
Detector(s) used
XP Deus All Three Coils (9" currently), Tesoro Vaquero 8x9 and 5.75" DD coil, Fisher F70, White's Spectrum XLT, White's IDX, Garrett AT Pro, Fisher 1265-X, Fisher CZ5, Fisher CZ6, White's TM808, White
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow thank you Dakota Sioux! That's a perfect match except mine is definitely not brass - it came out of the ground golden as can be. The loop portion was drilled off-center, but the metal is uniform in appearance through and through. If you could weigh the California key that would help determine composition. Mine weighed 2.7grams

Upvote 0

Dakota Sioux

Nov 11, 2015
South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT- Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do not know the weight of the brass one. There is one on ebay that the seller says is gold (not marked) and weight was approximately 2.6 grams so looks good.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread