What's new

Spam

Deftone

Hero Member
Joined
Jan 10, 2006
Messages
830
Reaction score
1,173
Golden Thread
0
Location
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today I witnessed over a whole page get wiped out. Can someone teach (sutphin < lower case...) That spamming and not contributing anything hinders our efforts. Bumbping old stuff and leaving newer stuff to maybe not have a chance to be seen. Then stuff like Misnomer. Cmon.
 
7 million cans a year in Hawaii says something.:laughing7:

GOD Bless

Chris
 
Deftone - I have thought the same thing before about spam type posting in older threads.
If folks want a great example example of how excessive posts on older threads can unfairly bury a newer one, see Today’s Finds; There are a few threads that were started this morning which already have a a page and a half (80+ threads) in front of them, making it pretty easy for them to be effectively lost, which isn’t very nice to to the poster.
 
Sorry but there is not a problem with our rules when a member comments on items posted several days ago. Page count can be set to display up to 50 threads/posts in your settings, maybe yours is set too low.

Also thread does not belong in "What Is It" forum. it is not a find or item.
 
Last edited:
Today I witnessed over a whole page get wiped out. Can someone teach (sutphin < lower case...) That spamming and not contributing anything hinders our efforts. Bumbping old stuff and leaving newer stuff to maybe not have a chance to be seen. Then stuff like Misnomer. Cmon.

It seemed obvious to me that someone wanted something off the first page but, as already mentioned, no rules infraction.
 
Just bump whatever you want up some. No biggie. It will soon be way down on the list anyway.

I'm just surprised some days stuff I posted months ago surfaces.
 
Sorry but there is not a problem with our rules when a member comments on items posted several days ago. Page count can be set to display up to 50 threads/posts in your settings, maybe yours is set too low.

Also thread does not belong in "What Is It" forum. it is not a find or item.
Correct, no broken rule and in the wrong forum, but I’m glad it was brought up for discussion, and that it started in the forum that it was effecting at that time (now it’s the Today’s Finds). My setting is set to 50 threads/page, and that is why 80+ such posts have moved threads like the ones below, which although started this morning are now on the lower half of the Second page. I haven’t in this past made comment, since I realize it doesn’t clearly break any rule. It just seems almost rude enough to those whose threads get lost that it shouldn’t be allowed.
This one had 1 comment before being stuffed out of sight:
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/576746-third-trip-farm-house-gets-second-silver.html
this one had 0 comments
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/576723-more-seattle-silver.html

So, anyway, it’s just feedback for consideration, and is not a complaint about the moderators who have always done a great job.
 
Last edited:
This sort of thing happens on another detecting forum I moderate on from time to time.

Just this morning when checking new posts there were several pages on our General section by the same member "welcoming" newer members to the forum.

This particular member does this from time to time and we are used to it. Not really an issue, except it pushes other threads way down.
 
all threads are not read or commented on evenly -- there is no "you showed up and posted medal" here ...I myself had post that many read but no one put a single reply to ....lurkers 101 ...get the info ..give nana in return
 
Correct, no broken rule and in the wrong forum, but I’m glad it was brought up for discussion, and that it started in the forum that it was effecting at that time (now it’s the Today’s Finds). My setting is set to 50 threads/page, and that is why 80+ such posts have moved threads like the ones below, which although started this morning are now on the lower half of the Second page. I haven’t in this past made comment, since I realize it doesn’t clearly break any rule. It just seems almost rude enough to those whose threads get lost that it shouldn’t be allowed.
This one had 1 comment before being stuffed out of sight:
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/576746-third-trip-farm-house-gets-second-silver.html
this one had 0 comments
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/576723-more-seattle-silver.html

So, anyway, it’s just feedback for consideration, and is not a complaint about the moderators who have always done a great job.

So yours is set to 50, no problem, didn't think you were complaining about mods. From what I saw it was comments on something posted couple days ago and ones I saw was were in the "what is it" forum unless they were moved there. Ones in today finds are comments on posts made last couple days.
 
Several hours later now, the two threads cited above are now on the third page.
 
I always take Spam with me when a hunting I do go. I've been so hungry I've even sucked the gel out of the can.
 
I witnessed this behavior on a different forum that I look in on. One member constantly bumped a lot of threads, attempting to get his post count up which pissed many members off because newer posts were pushed out of sight. This created a posting war...lol. There were about 30 members that just started bumping the threads that they wanted to see on page 1, it went on for about two weeks. The site owner finally shut it down by instituting the "thread capping" rule. And to this day, the Mods on that site still use the rule to delete generic postings such as "nice find", "good job", etc., etc. Matter of fact, the site did away with post counts as well. Solved a lot of problems.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Threadcapping
Going through threads on a forum and posting nothing of relevance to the thread.
 
...... The site owner finally shut it down by instituting the "thread capping" rule. And to this day, the Mods on that site still use the rule to delete generic postings such as "nice find", "good job", etc., etc..


LOL, that would eliminate 90+% of posts on TNET!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom