celtex
Sr. Member
- Joined
- Oct 25, 2009
- Messages
- 385
- Reaction score
- 68
- Golden Thread
- 0
- Location
- Texas Panhandle
- Detector(s) used
- Whites Vision, XLT; ACE 250;Bounty Hunter,Garrett Pro Pointer
- Primary Interest:
- Metal Detecting
If it is it is a complete different style than I have seen. Closest I seen was a German WWII veterans group and it was brocade with the Iron Cross in it. Same shape.yaxthri said:The cross is of the "Knights Templar" type.
Could this be Mason related?


GpSnoopy said:The wreath is very similar to the one used in the Grand Army of the Republic hat badge, and what strikes me as being odd, is that the maltese cross is not the same color, and seems to be of a different material than the wreath. Mind you, neither is the GAR lettering. Hmmm.
Here's the GAR badge as an example.
OK thanks.ffuries said:FYI bigcypresshunter the US Military is still using screwback fastners on service caps. To me it looks like the cross was added later JMHO.
Mike
USAF Retired

Celtex also appears to have the 2 pins so it may be original..GpSnoopy said:I agree with the maltese cross being a medic symbol. The 5th corps uses it as well. What I could not find was the use of the cross and the wreath together. I'm begining to think that this is 2 separate insignias "married" together, and not an official hat badge. I hope I'm wrong.
In this photo of the one on E-bay, which coincidentally appears identical in every way to the one originally posted, There are still 2 pins showing on the wreath, which would have been for push on fasteners?
Mike, were clutch back type fasteners used on service caps?ffuries said:FYI bigcypresshunter the US Military is still using screwback fastners on service caps. To me it looks like the cross was added later JMHO.
Mike
USAF Retired
It looks like the modern clutch back type of pins on the wreath but Im not certain..HUNTER12 said:I think it's a GAR wreath with a core badge in the center. I think it may be the 5th core, I'm getting a little foggy on core badges. see which core had the Maltese cross as a badge. Don't forget the GAR was still going strong in ths 1920's to the late 30's