GpSnoopy's apology is noted, and appreciated.
Before I saw it, I'd been doing some additional deep research, on Creskol's behalf, to provide confirmatory proof that the VERY-EXACT DESIGN of cross emblem posted by Celtex is indeed a Spanish-American War era US Medical Corps emblem.
It is not a Templar Cross. Anybody here can do a google-search for "Templar Cross" and see for themselves.
Also, Celtex's cross-emblem is not a true Maltese cross ...which consists ONLY of V-shaped angles. Again, do a google-search to see for yourselves.
The outer ends of the arms on Celtex's cross-emblem are double-arced inward, resembling the valley in a Valentine heart's top. The VERY-EXACT match for Celtex's cross-emblem is found in the section on US Medical Corps insignia in the massive book "Encyclopedia of United States Army Insignia and Uniforms." The Medical Corps Insignia section starts at page 177. You can view it online, at Google Books, for free, at:
http://books.google.com/books?id=tr...esnum=6&ved=0CDsQ6AEwBTgK#v=onepage&q&f=false
That distinctive cross-emblem was used by the Medical Corps ONLY from 1896 to 1902. I should mention that in its official Regulation use by the US Army Medical Corps, it was NOT surrounded by a wreath. Apparently somebody fabricated a non-Regulation version of it, by having it applied onto a commercial insignia-manufacturer's quasi-military thin stamped sheetbrass wreath.
For anybody here who is unfamiliar with "stock" insignia patterns:
The commercial manufacturer would apply whatever emblem you wanted onto the company's simple "stock" wreath. For example, there was no CSA-in-a-wreath insignia during the civil war. But in the latter 1800s, Confederate Veterans purchased fabricated CSA-in-a-stock-wreath emblems for use as hat-insignia with their United Confederate Veterans uniforms.
I should mention that the same CSA-in-a-stock-wreath emblem is still being sold today at tourist-shops near civil war battlefield parks. (I purchased a newly-made one for my "Confederate Cavalry" hat during the 1961-65 civil war Centennial.) It is definitely a "stock" wreath because you can also buy it with a "US" in the wreath, if you are a yankee-soldier fan.
Please note, I am NOT saying Celtex's US-Medical-Corps-Cross-in-a-wreath is a modernday fabrication. The two very thin short pins on the back of his wreath appear to be the 1890s type, not the World-War-2-and-later "clutch pins" seen on modern-made insignia (and stock wreaths).