Spessartite from California

Congrats, very unusual color. Are garnets valued more by the three C's or by type.

Upvote 0
Thanks!

Dano, both! Garnet is a whole "mineral family" if you like, so type is also important. Spessartite is one variety. Then the three C's are also taken into account.

Upvote 0
I don't. This was cut from rough material.

Upvote 0
:icon_thumleft:...another very nice job & lovely stone, haven't heard of it before. Speaking of rare stones...ever heard of "Zultanite"? It has different colors in it, guess it's sort of new? Saw a Gem Hunter show about it yesterday.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks CC! Zultanite has been around for a long time! It's just a new trade name for colour changing* diaspore. (2005-ish it was introduced)
Also been called Csarite. Those shows tend to be full of ****. Take them with a ¤!/#load of salt! :laughing7:

*Colour change means it changes colour if natural vs incandescent light. Some of the most rare garnets also do this.

Upvote 0
Thank you Eu for the info. on the Zultanite....yes guess a lot of those shows are :tongue3:...lol Really, garnets that change color, didn't you show one of those before?

Upvote 0
I saw that episode of gem hunter and I cringed every time he used his hand pick to extract a fatty. Didn't look to me like the guy knew a darn thing about crystal extraction -- mallets, chisels and teeny tiny screw drivers, fella!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back