What's new

Spoon mold

plymouthian12

Silver Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2010
Messages
2,706
Reaction score
7,236
Golden Thread
2
Location
massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
2
Detector(s) used
DFX, EXcalibur, Dual Field, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found the spoon bowl mold last month I've been hoping to find the other half well yesturday i found the handle I'm psyched I'm going to take my time and straighten it. I'm guessing the date is 1780-1810 it's just a guess. It's appropriately 8 inches long The mold is either brass or bronze will have to check. The top of the handle is a dognose thanks for looking and appreciate any feed back
 

Attachments

  • 1454727784772.webp
    1454727784772.webp
    60.7 KB · Views: 201
Upvote 52
Also have a water spot that gave up 2 pewter cups very old ones
 
Awesome find that, had know idea that spoons back then we're made that way
 
belongs in a museum - awesome find
12389668-Acronym-of-TTT-for-Time-Talent-Treasures-written-on-a-blackboard-Stock-Photo.webp
 
That is definitely an awesome find!!
 
Awesome find!! I think it's earlier than you think. Here's half of a spoon mold with a spoon that I purchased (zip it Abe!) that is similar to yours. Mine is a rattail mold with a trefoil top
 

Attachments

  • IMG_5252.webp
    IMG_5252.webp
    177.7 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_5252.webp
    IMG_5252.webp
    189.3 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
Joe fresh the top is the same any idea on date?
But mine doesn't have the Ridge on the bowl
 
I thought they went from mid 1700s to early 1800s
 
You're correct and I apologize. Our spoons are dog nosed and not trefid but are still early 18th century.
 
Awesome find!! I think it's earlier than you think. Here's half of a spoon mold with a spoon that I purchased (zip it Abe!) that is similar to yours. Mine is a rattail mold with a trefoil top

I think yours is 1948. Very nice though lol.
 
1948 haha
 
1948 haha

This little joke goes back aways. Don't tell Joey but in reality I am a HUGE fan of old spoons and molds....even his lol. The 1600s spoons I found are two of my most prized possessions.
 
I see I'd love to find one from the 1600s
 
I see I'd love to find one from the 1600s

Your spoon is much earlier than I first thought. After a fair amount of digging I believe your spoon mold could be from between 1690-1725. Those dog nose spoons were popular through that time period. That really is a very special discovery indeed. Just to be clear, dog nose spoons would have been made likely into the early 1800s but the mold itself is certainly early 18th century and possibly very late 17th century. I'm voting Banner on this mold now that I am more educated on it. Just an incredible and unique early relic
 
Last edited:
Thank you ahab8
 
Thanks for the vote
 
Thanks for all the responses
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom