What's new

Stainless Sand Scoop

NP...
Lucky for you I am feeling "helpful" today :P

J/K

Either that or you forgot to hook your leash to your detector and sand scoop and they both floated away. Now you have nothing to do except visit the forum and answer questions all day. But seriously, I appreciate all the good advice given, not only to me but others that read this thread.

Thanks and HH
 
Well...
Actually I can tell you where it all began...
Back in the 80's I was diving with this older guy ...
He had what you call a "slurp gun"...
Its basically a big arse syringe type thingy that was made from clear acrylic plastic.
It is for capturing fish without harming them.
You place the end into a crevice / hole / coral etc and pull back on the handle... out "slurps" the water along with the fish...
You then quickly cover the end with your hand...
Then "slurp" / push the handle ... expelling the said caught fish into your bag.

Anyway...
In water this thing was completely clear... I mean totally invisible...
Except for the red rubber bicycle grip on the handle you could barely see it.
So...
Here we are underwater... and he is slurping away... trying to catch a fish to no avail...
Then something happened I don't remember...
He signals...
We surface...
Slurper has been dropped and cannot be seen... and he is not happy at all ...
"help me find it ! ! ! ... that thing was expensive ! ! !".

So... me being the kid known for finding stuff underwater... I go down...
I look and look and look...

And this remains one of the few things... I did NOT find.

The moral.
Don't wanna loose something in water... ?

Tie it to your arse.
 
Well...
Actually I can tell you where it all began...
Back in the 80's I was diving with this older guy ...
He had what you call a "slurp gun"...
Its basically a big arse syringe type thingy that was made from clear acrylic plastic.
It is for capturing fish without harming them.
You place the end into a crevice / hole / coral etc and pull back on the handle... out "slurps" the water along with the fish...
You then quickly cover the end with your hand...
Then "slurp" / push the handle ... expelling the said caught fish into your bag.

Anyway...
In water this thing was completely clear... I mean totally invisible...
Except for the red rubber bicycle grip on the handle you could barely see it.
So...
Here we are underwater... and he is slurping away... trying to catch a fish to no avail...
Then something happened I don't remember...
He signals...
We surface...
Slurper has been dropped and cannot be seen... and he is not happy at all ...
"help me find it ! ! ! ... that thing was expensive ! ! !".

So... me being the kid known for finding stuff underwater... I go down...
I look and look and look...

And this remains one of the few things... I did NOT find.

The moral.
Don't wanna loose something in water... ?

Tie it to your arse.

Good story...It's also good when we learn from our misadventures.

Thanks and HH
 
DSCN2744.webp I use a fiberglass post hole digger handle, light and strong. About ten inches of wood dowel at the scoop end for extra strength where the screw hole goes through and less flex at the junction with the scoop. Both ends sealed so it holds air and floats better than a wood one and lighter. Mine is bright yellow which also provides good visibility, and I got it online for about 20 bucks. They are also available at stores like tractor supply and hardware stores.
 
Last edited:
My $8 home depot rake handle works for me, over 3 years of heavy use and ready for more.
Buoyant as it is, I wrapped it with pipe insulation to make it even more buoyant. no worries about the screw, that is not the pressure point when you are scooping, that is merely to keep it from slipping out.

My last one I changed because I wanted it a bit longer, I chopped it off and it was fine, until you got literally up to the neck, which I do from time to time. So I put a new one in, old one would not come out.
I had to put it in a vice, heat it up with propane and beat it off with a hammer, and this of course after the screw was out. Probably due to temp/expansion/time, the wood practically bonds after a while. Saved the old handle as a spare, just in case.

No way in hell would I pay $150+ for a scoop handle. Even if I hit the mega millions lotto I think the $$ would be better off donated to charity, unless there is something I am missing about carbon fiber.
 
Bad juju mixing aluminum with stainless steel and saltwater. Remember the old Miller scoops? Make sure you add a sacrificial zinc. Just sayin.
 
View attachment 1361346 I use a fiberglass post hole digger handle, light and strong. About ten inches of wood dowel at the scoop end for extra strength where the screw hole goes through and less flex at the junction with the scoop. Both ends sealed so it holds air and floats better than a wood one and lighter. Mine is bright yellow which also provides good visibility, and I got it online for about 20 bucks. They are also available at stores like tractor supply and hardware stores.

Very nice.
 
Okay to all that posted. I just returned from the metal supplier with my 1 1/16" x 42" piece of aluminum heavy wall tubing and can of spray foam. Pipe fits snuggly and will have to be drilled for a clevis pin.

I did not know about the possible problem using aluminum with stainless. If you remove handle and keep your equipment rinsed off between use is there still a problem? No turning back now.

HH
 
Last edited:
Bad juju mixing aluminum with stainless steel and saltwater. Remember the old Miller scoops? Make sure you add a sacrificial zinc. Just sayin.

I did not know about the possible problem using aluminum with stainless. No turning back now.
 
Bad juju mixing aluminum with stainless steel and saltwater. Remember the old Miller scoops? Make sure you add a sacrificial zinc. Just sayin.

Heh... lol

"bad juju" you say.
Wash your scoop I say.

And no I do not remember "miller" scoops.
I do remember the countless scoops made though by me :P

Stainless steel fasteners in aluminium plates or sheets are normally considered safe, whereas aluminium rivets or bolts holding stainless steel parts together is an unwise combination, as there is a practical risk of corrosion.

No zinc needed.

By the time your scoop has a problem... heh you wont care about scoops anymore.
 
I did not know about the possible problem using aluminum with stainless. No turning back now.
I believe the problems was when both aluminum and stainless were welded. The chemicals in the saltwater created a reaction which corroded the two. Hopefully yours will be fine. Good luck
 
Stainless on stainless is no doubt the best.
Which is what I have always used...
But...
I also own a few all alums.
 
My main scoop is custom made via my specs by a local stainless welder.
I chose top grade stainless... and specs are vary basic.
Its all in the angle for me.
And I have addition that aids me.
 
The handle weight was I assumed an "issue".
Alum is better than other choices... and price wise as well.

IF you can afford the upcharge get stainless.
I guess I should have talked you that direction more perhaps if you are having second thoughts now.
 
I believe the problems was when both aluminum and stainless were welded. The chemicals in the saltwater created a reaction which corroded the two. Hopefully yours will be fine. Good luck

I do not intend to weld the two pieces but don't want to cause damage to my stainless scoop either. Should I scrape the aluminum handle idea and purchase something else. After all the handle was under $13.00.

Thanks and HH
 
Stainless is what I would recommend if you are nervous about the alum.
 
I do not intend to weld the two pieces but don't want to cause damage to my stainless scoop either. Should I scrape the aluminum handle idea and purchase something else. After all the handle was under $13.00.

Thanks and HH
Ask that same question in the beach/shallow water forum. I've seen a couple of guys in Florida use aluminum handles on their ss scoops. Maybe they can answer that question. But from what I've seen the aluminum is what corroded, not the ss scoop.
 
You should not scrap the setup I recommended.
Try it then you decide later if you want to upgrade.
IF signs of problems arise.

Rinse all and anything ever used in salt... always.
 
Last edited:
Ok, I spoke to an old timer friend who set me straight. It was the "heat" from the weld that held the ss to the aluminum that changed the material and caused accelerated corrosion between the two at the weld point. You will be fine as long as no welds are present. Sorry for the needless confusion.
 
Let me ask...
Did you get SS bolts with washers and Nylock nuts ?
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom