What's new

Stainless Sand Scoop

Bagh... see what happens when I try to help. ehh heh.
 
You should not scrap the setup I recommended.
Try it then you decide later if you want to upgrade.
IF signs of problems arise.

Rise all and anything ever used in salt... always.

I intend to use the setup you've recommended and the parts purchased already for the job at hand. I like to look at all possible alternatives and pick the one that satisfies my interest the best. I was just concerned that there could be a problem using the two metals together. Now that issue has been squashed, I'm ready to move forward.

Thanks and HH
 
Ok, I spoke to an old timer friend who set me straight. It was the "heat" from the weld that held the ss to the aluminum that changed the material and caused accelerated corrosion between the two at the weld point. You will be fine as long as no welds are present. Sorry for the needless confusion.

I really appreciate you easing my mind, by following up your previous post.

Thanks and HH
 
Let me ask...
Did you get SS bolts with washers and Nylock nuts ?

To be honest, I did not at this time. Only because I am not going to thru bolt the handle to the scoop. I am going to use a clevis pin and clip for quick assy and disassy. If I can find a stainless clevis and clip I will pick them up.
 
Lets do something shall we...

Lets use your setup as a "test".
Update your progress... and more interestingly and importantly... the results.
Post your opinions and observations of your finished scoop I instructed you on.
 
Lets do something shall we...

Lets use your setup as a "test".
Update your progress... and more interestingly and importantly... the results.
Post your opinions and observations of your finished scoop I instructed you on.

I have no problem with this...I just don't think that I will be much help. First I live 100 miles from salt water so beach hunting is few and far between and my local lake will be hunted occasionally between dirt hunting. I just want the best setup for when it's needed.

Thanks and HH
 
You will like your scoop setup when finished.
You are on the right track with it.
Lightweight and strong... no rot etc. ...and best of all cheap.
It will last you forever.

Hope that at the end of your project you are happy with the results.
I think you will be. :)

Good luck and happy hunting.
 
Blue Fiberglass Post Hole Digger handle for $14 from Sears filled bottom half with fiberglass resin for strength and top half with spray foam for floatation. Indestructible for about $30...

CTX with New Scoop.webp
 
The stainless/aluminum problem has nothing to do with heat or welding. It is called galvanic corrosion and is caused by dissimilar metals contacting one another and it is accelerated by exposure to saltwater which acts as an electrolyte. Brass and aluminum is the worst combination but stainless and aluminum will have the problem also but to a lesser degree. This problem often occurs on saltwater fishing reels where stainless screws go into the aluminum housings of the reels. I think the fiberglass post hole digger handles offer the best value, lightness of weight, and longevity.
 
Blue Fiberglass Post Hole Digger handle for $14 from Sears filled bottom half with fiberglass resin for strength and top half with spray foam for floatation. Indestructible for about $30...

View attachment 1361486

hope you used fiberglass fibers in the resin. resin is as brittle as glass

HH
 
The stainless/aluminum problem has nothing to do with heat or welding. It is called galvanic corrosion and is caused by dissimilar metals contacting one another and it is accelerated by exposure to saltwater which acts as an electrolyte. Brass and aluminum is the worst combination but stainless and aluminum will have the problem also but to a lesser degree. This problem often occurs on saltwater fishing reels where stainless screws go into the aluminum housings of the reels. I think the fiberglass post hole digger handles offer the best value, lightness of weight, and longevity.

You have a very valid point, but I feel I should be safe in my fresh water lake and occasional salt water beach hunts.

Thanks and HH
 
Blue Fiberglass Post Hole Digger handle for $14 from Sears filled bottom half with fiberglass resin for strength and top half with spray foam for floatation. Indestructible for about $30...

View attachment 1361486

Nice looking scoop

HH
 
You will like your scoop setup when finished.
You are on the right track with it.
Lightweight and strong... no rot etc. ...and best of all cheap.
It will last you forever.

Hope that at the end of your project you are happy with the results.
I think you will be. :)

Good luck and happy hunting.

Thanks again for walking me thru my project.

HH
 
I personally have never had any corrosion that has affected a scoop to a degree of concern.

Buy MARINE grade stainless.

I do not use a "combo" of ss and alum myself and has been years ago when I did... and recall no problems when I did.

Guys remember ... this is a scoop.
ON... a budget. heh

Personally...
I never use anything that is not 100% stainless.

IF you want the best... pay for it.
Wanna cheap out...
Buy wood... fiberglass... alum.

Alum being the best / better than the other 2 IMO.

The best... get your wallet out and spend 20 bucks for a tube of Medium wall stainless.
 
Last edited:
Oh...
btw...
I have and do use brass and stainless...
Brass and alum...
Stainless mixed with everything... on and on...
in prototyping things for salt.

Yes some crud will develop over time... but solid rinses with fresh water after uses minimizes this greatly and will take years for any major noticeable changes.
Some...
Corrode with some dust...
But wipe clean and are good.

Again... wanna run "pro"... get a stainless scoop made by someone who knows what they are doing.
 
Last edited:
Want fiberglass handle... ?

this is it.

Hardware_grande.webpScoop-Yellow_grande.webp
 
Wood ?

Bah.

No picture :P
 
Even if I only detected in the woods... 1000 miles from the nearest beach.

You see me ... with a high grade stainless scoop.

That's just how I roll :P
 
I personally have never had any corrosion that has affected a scoop to a degree of concern.

Buy MARINE grade stainless.

I do not use a "combo" of ss and alum myself and has been years ago when I did... and recall no problems when I did.

Guys remember ... this is a scoop.
ON... a budget. heh

Personally...
I never use anything that is not 100% stainless.

IF you want the best... pay for it.
Wanna cheap out...
Buy wood... fiberglass... alum.

Alum being the best / better than the other 2 IMO.

The best... get your wallet out and spend 20 bucks for a tube of Medium wall stainless.

Didn't know I was being cheap... I didn't know that you shouldn't mix metals when water was concerned. Go figure.

HH
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom