What's new

Star In Shield Badge (stamped brass, lead filled back)

tokens70

Sr. Member
Joined
Apr 9, 2009
Messages
445
Reaction score
92
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cibola, Explorer 2
Hello, I would just like to get some opinions on this badge, if it is military or not, it looks familiar, just cant place it. It has tiny holes at each corner & one at the bottom for attachment :icon_scratch:
 

Attachments

  • 015.webp
    015.webp
    86 KB · Views: 643
  • 016.webp
    016.webp
    97.4 KB · Views: 567
tokens70 said:
it looks familiar, just cant place it.
yes it does look familiar. http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,52064.0.html

Harness or saddle ornament. Thin, die-stamped brass backfilled with lead. Sometimes attributed as a Texas or Mississippi star device from the Civil War, and may indeed have seen wartime usage; however, it appears to have been civilian in origin. Listed as an "unknown shield" on p. 81 of Stanley S. Phillips' Excavated Artifacts from Battlefields and Campsites of the Civil War, 1861-1865. Also listed on p. 61 of Supplement I to the same book: "Unknown brass shield with solder-filled back. Possibly breast plate for horse harness. Variant sizes have been found." PBK
 
Upvote 0
I would say saddle shield and maybe it had something to do with a Texas or Mississippi Regiment. I think its a bit small to be a martingale. Cool find.
 
Upvote 0
Thanks guys for the comments & thanks BCH for the link :hello: I will mark it as solved :thumbsup:
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom