OP
O

omnicron

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2012
Caldwell, Idaho
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Jack it's ok, I have to use Buddies dredge to test as I don't have pumps yet. He is thinking Tue/Weds but I have to take my daughter to school and pick her up so that kind of kinks things up.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
yep the price of EVERYTHING has went up considerably! even welding gas(acty) here in St.Louis has doubled or tripled in some places. im fortunate in that "if"i buy new metal, the dealer i go through gives me a deal!

OP
OP
O

omnicron

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2012
Caldwell, Idaho
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I used to get a deal with my last employer...not with my current employer he's a cheep ass! Oh wait that me! All total on the metal for sluice box/frame I'm about $350 or so. I don't use gas for welding...flux core but shielded welding is my first choice, I exchanged my oxy/accy bottles a few weeks ago and it cost me $80.

OP
OP
O

omnicron

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2012
Caldwell, Idaho
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Rain rain go away... Rain has slowed down progress. I cleaned out and tested one of the T-80's I bought out of Alaska. Damn that works better then my grey t80 but it needs rebuilt. I put that on my 4" and have it listed up on CL. I think I'm pricing it right... The other T80 is a basket case. It was full of sand, the countersunk screws in the reed valve plate to piston are seized, I'm going to try some heat. If that doesn't work then maybe a chisel. The bearing are crap, all the aluminum is pitted with corrosion. It may be junk. Still I paid 75 each and with shipping $230 so I'm still ahead in the long run. Last t80 I saw on ebay sold for $250.

I also started my flare. I would take some pics bit it's not quit ready for prime time yet. But it is looking good!

principedeleon

Oct 22, 2013
Rain rain go away... Rain has slowed down progress. I cleaned out and tested one of the T-80's I bought out of Alaska. Damn that works better then my grey t80 but it needs rebuilt. I put that on my 4" and have it listed up on CL. I think I'm pricing it right... The other T80 is a basket case. It was full of sand, the countersunk screws in the reed valve plate to piston are seized, I'm going to try some heat. If that doesn't work then maybe a chisel. The bearing are crap, all the aluminum is pitted with corrosion. It may be junk. Still I paid 75 each and with shipping $230 so I'm still ahead in the long run. Last t80 I saw on ebay sold for $250. I also started my flare. I would take some pics bit it's not quit ready for prime time yet. But it is looking good!
I changed my mind to sell mines.. After the mods im doing to it and thinking i make the money im asking for it with it and still be able to keep it and sample remote areas before bringing a bigger dredge in..

Last edited:
OP
OP
O

omnicron

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2012
Caldwell, Idaho
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My winch system. I'm missing pieces of it...kind of a bummer but I'll try to fab something to make it work,
IMG_20140304_170647.jpg

Really looking like a dredge now!
IMG_20140304_171432.jpg

principedeleon

Oct 22, 2013
What is you making the flair out of ?

I did my 4" dredge flare diffrently ... I cut a 4" pipe down the middle then opened one end to the right openning then welded a triangle shape to the pipe on both sides.

Didnt have to bend anything..

OP
OP
O

omnicron

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2012
Caldwell, Idaho
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks Buddy! I've put a lot of time and thought into this. I cant wait to hear that sweet sound of rocks going up my nozzle!

OP
OP
O

omnicron

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2012
Caldwell, Idaho
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What is you making the flair out of ?

I did my 4" dredge flare diffrently ... I cut a 4" pipe down the middle then opened one end to the right openning then welded a triangle shape to the pipe on both sides.

Didnt have to bend anything..

It's .070 aluminum. If I could of found some thin wall aluminum pipe I would of done the same. I just used some heat, c-clamps, 1.5" pipe and a tinning hammer. I clamped the metal to the pipe were I wanted the bend, heated it up and used the hammer to form the metal. It was simple, cheep and easy to do but noisy! I hate my neighbers so I made sure I started banging at 8am! LOL

G, thanks man.

principedeleon

Oct 22, 2013
It's .070 aluminum. If I could of found some thin wall aluminum pipe I would of done the same. I just used some heat, c-clamps, 1.5" pipe and a tinning hammer. I clamped the metal to the pipe were I wanted the bend, heated it up and used the hammer to form the metal. It was simple, cheep and easy to do but noisy! I hate my neighbers so I made sure I started banging at 8am! LOL G, thanks man.

Lmao..
Everyone should be awake by that time anyways.. Should had started at sunrise .lol

I never thought it could be so easy to make a flare.
Its crazy when you look at how much you save from buying new and experience you gain.

You are almost to the most important part of your sluice..
Have you tried using drop riffles in the under current on your 4"? I have used it on mines but next time ill be using a truck bed to cut a piece of mat out and ill try to find some woven wire mesh for the clasifier instead of punch plate .

OP
OP
O

omnicron

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2012
Caldwell, Idaho
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I considered trying drop riffles but haven't really decided. I was going to do a simple over/under but the more I think about it I'm tending toward a three stage again. I love the fact that 90% of the gold is in the first stage. I can clean that section out quick and know if I stay or move. Any gold that isn't caught there will be caught in stage 2 or 3.

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
Are there any restrictions in using a six in Idaho, or just the regular state permit?

littlenugget1

Jan 23, 2014
caldwell,id
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
the 6" has to have a restriction ring of no more than 5" and thats is all the state will let us have without going through a but load of paper work for a commercial opp.

Last edited:

principedeleon

Oct 22, 2013
So do i .. And i like the fact i could clasify two different material. Could be 1/2" first stage and 1/4" or smaller on the under current . Is basically the same thing if you make the sluice long enough..

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
I like the build:headbang: Six necked down to five ought to be a gravel moving mother with no plugs. Omni may need a side by side to haul all that gold out.

OP
OP
O

omnicron

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2012
Caldwell, Idaho
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I like the build:headbang: Six necked down to five ought to be a gravel moving mother with no plugs. Omni may need a side by side to haul all that gold out.

God I hope so!!!

My goal is 20-30oz for the year...oh hell I want a wheel barrel full of gold!!!!!!!!
I need to recover $20,000 to $30,000 in gold and then next year I may take a trip to lower Alaska for a extended dredging trip to some hard to get into areas...

Our regs are no more the 5" nozzle opening and 15hp limit

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread