"Stealing" Coinstar garbage?

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I've had a few good finds in the small waste basket next to my local supermarket Coinstar. But sometimes there's too much trash in there to sift thru without getting funny stares. :tongue3:

So the last couple of times I've just taken the whole bag outta the can and brought it home to search. Nothing more than a couple of zincolns so far but I wonder if this is problematic. Garbage on the street is up for grabs, why shouldn't this be, even though it's still within the confines of the store. No one's approached me yet but I wonder if they will.

And if you think that's bad, I'm thisclose to dumpster diving for foreign coins at my local Wells Fargo.

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is farther then I would go. At some point they might ask you not to come back.

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 800, Minelab SE PRO, Minelab X-Terra Pro & 14 other machines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You guys are really passionate about your coins, that's for sure.

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmmmm..........Could be considered theft, It is inside the store, I believe I'd pass on that :thumbsup:

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with gunrunner. The trash may not be thiers but the trash bag is since they paid for it.

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dude, put a fake donation bin right on the friggin Coinstar or near.

Test it out one evening, I am considering. Maybe a washed out yogurt container that says "reject coins in here". Protect them with the lid on the container and a hole cut in. Check it frequently.

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Dude, put a fake donation bin right on the friggin Coinstar or near.

Test it out one evening, I am considering. Maybe a washed out yogurt container that says "reject coins in here". Protect them with the lid on the container and a hole cut in. Check it frequently.

BRILLIANT! :notworthy:

Dok Holliday

May 2, 2011
Eastern Iowa
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm thisclose to dumpster diving for foreign coins at my local Wells Fargo.

That is a good idea...I used to dumpster dive at Aldi's and find a lot of good, working, appliances. I wonder how the security of the Wells Fargo Dumpster would be different. I might have to park down the block and just walk...I'm stealing this idea.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't do it, but don't see anything wrong with it, but there's something you should do...
bring a replacement trash bag and put it on after you take the other one off, not only does it make you look like you're not stealing, but also makes you look like you are just changing the bag.
HH

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
the bank might think you are a ID theif if your in their dumpsters

ScottNVAB

May 22, 2011
LOL..... This is posted in the wrong forum....Should be posted in the GBH'ers forum! Hahaha!
:laughing9:

So the last couple of times I've just taken the whole bag outta the can and brought it home to search.

And if you think that's bad, I'm thisclose to dumpster diving for foreign coins at my local Wells Fargo.

MIhunter

Bronze Member
Jun 29, 2011
Southeastern MI
There is a small trash can next to the coin counter I use frequently. I routinely search it for coins. Generally I find non-US coins. I don't ask permission and if I was asked to stop I would. The bank doesn't take foreign coins and isn't interested in them.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It is so much easier to wait for small women and children just outside the establishment, then pick them up, turn them upside down, and shake vigorously.

brucebob

Jun 14, 2011
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Yeah I guess to each their own. I'm personally not into dumpster diving or even checking trash cans but that's just me. I think it's going too far and I don't want to look trashy, no pun intended.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah I guess to each their own. I'm personally not into dumpster diving or even checking trash cans but that's just me. I think it's going too far and I don't want to look trashy, no pun intended.

I think its too far also. It's different if there is a bag of coins on top of the trash, I can just take the coins and leave the bag.

BillyOceansEleven

May 6, 2011
I don't see an issue with it. Like someone else said, it would be better if you put a replacement trash bag in so you don't make the custodians mad and have them whine to management who can shut you down. As long as you aren't being disruptive and making a mess, I don't see the store employees or manager saying anything about you searching the trash by the Coinstar or taking the bag.

You are more likely to get in trouble with the fake donation bin thing. If you put out a bin for "donations" that could be considered fraud. Even if you just put an unlabeled bin they will probably just throw it away anyway.

skelly9131

Jan 12, 2010
I believe searching trash left out on a public street is quite different than searching trash on private property. I wouldn't think you'd have any right to this trash in a court of law.

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow you would do this for funny money?? Why if you want funny money you can get it by the hand full just go to td bank and check the magnet!! I now have about 18 lbs now what??? In a short time. Am not sure why i even take it any more???

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i like the donation cup for rejects. you could actually donate all the clad in there and then it wouldn't be so schiesty

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread