OP
OP
B

Barrell

Jul 27, 2012
Fort Pierce,FL
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
How about some feedback. Im about to order the Digatto but I like the looks of the dual angled kickplate on theback of the stealth 720

Surfdigger

Jan 4, 2008
South Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Minelab excalibur, Sovereign GT, Fisher CZ-6a
I don't like the kickplate on the stealth.....I feel that your foot would be too prone to slip off while pushing the scoop into the sand.......I field tested the T-Rex for almost a year and the back of the scoop was not adversely effected by putting pressure on it with your foot .....

Gary Drayton

Dec 28, 2007
Fort Lauderdale Florida
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur
Minelab Sovereign GT
Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How about some feedback. Im about to order the Digatto but I like the looks of the dual angled kickplate on theback of the stealth 720

I cannot vouch for the stealth scoop as I have never used one but the T Rex by Ron DeGhetto is an excellent, well constructed scoop and worth the money.

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont use either..... but Ron's is like the proscoop with an angled handle on top.... which i did to my proscoop. Foot fits nice and you just cant beat those 1/4 inch holes for sifting and leaving even tiny studs. I really like Chucks new design so i dont think you can go wrong with either. Got a friend who just got the new stealth he likes it a lot. Ive not seen it work yet.... but ill get a foot on it in a couple of days.

Dew

OP
OP
B

Barrell

Jul 27, 2012
Fort Pierce,FL
Primary Interest:
T-Rex ordered. should get it today in time for tonights blowout tides.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the 720 and find it to be my go to scoop. At first I didn't like the angled handle design and now I've come to love the way you can point the point down for a good grab of the sand. Using the whole back of the scoop for a push is lots easier than the foot plate on the orginal Sunspots. The best thing about the 720 is the handle doesn't need a hole drilled in it for a screw in the bracket. Even a replacment handle is easy to attach and no drain hole is needed to allow water to run out of the bracket. An you know the hole will get plugged up.

We will never be satisfied with the design of any scoop and just need to adjust to what we have. But one thing I can't adjust to is not having enough holes and the weight.
720 stealth.JPG Back of 720.JPG
http://gold-scoop.com/

Last edited:

Pi_Rat

Feb 11, 2013
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Excal II 8" Stealth scoop 720i
Primary Interest:
I recently purchased the 720i and it is too big. It is over built and there is no need to move the amount of material it is built to move. And on top of it they sent me the wrong scoop. I ordered and paid for the 720i with 1/4" holes and they sent me the 1/2" hole scoop. They have yet to refund the difference. I would just avoid the 720i all together. Big heavy scoop that is not needed and they have poor business practices.

Silver Simon

Mar 17, 2013
Coldwater Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently purchased the 720i and it is too big. It is over built and there is no need to move the amount of material it is built to move. And on top of it they sent me the wrong scoop. I ordered and paid for the 720i with 1/4" holes and they sent me the 1/2" hole scoop. They have yet to refund the difference. I would just avoid the 720i all together. Big heavy scoop that is not needed and they have poor business practices.

Apparently they have really offended you, as you've posted the same story 3-4 times on this forum. I understand that you are upset over the mix-up, but I know that Chuck would make it right, have you spoken with him on the phone directly, or just the front desk lady? The scoops are just a side venture from their main business of creating tooling systems, its not as if their sole purpose is creating/supporting these scoops, so it is understandable that there might be mistakes made here and there. I think you may be too quick to label them with poor business practices. I visited the tooling shop myself to talk scoops and ended up getting one, and they even wanted to cut me a deal of $25 off, but I refused, gotta support USA made. That type of business practice makes me think that there is a good explanation for this $10 issue.

I've enjoyed my 720i, and yes, she is a heavy hauler, not for everyone. For dry scooping I have a smaller SS hand scoop from scoopsunlimited.com, since I am pre-40 with no back/knee issues yet. The only time I lift the 720 out of water is when I know the target is in the bucket, so I'm not wearing myself out. And I agree with Sandman, 1/2" is way better than 1/4" for sifting.

snokid

Feb 2, 2013
Troy, MI
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, Garrett GTA350, minelab e-trac, minelab Excalibur II, minelab Excalibur
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Got to second what silver simon just said...
I live like 20 mins away from chuck's shop. Sent an email just to make sure they were going to be around when I could get there. I drove on down chatted with both of the office ladies both very friendly and nice.
Yeah it's on the big side but no one says you have to fill it all the way up then pick it up....
oh well I'm happy with mine
have fun....

Chuck-N-Detroit

Oct 18, 2010
Warren, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Excalibur, Equinox and Deus
Primary Interest:
Unhappy with the Sunspot Stealth 720i

Hello PI Rat,
Sorry you are not happy with anything. I was on vacation when this thing (the $10 refund delay) happened and I am sorry my employee sent the wrong scoop. I am sure you are kidding when you said that we tried to screw you out of $10.

I just checked and see that Lyndia sent a check Monday for the $10.

I have a great solution:

Please send the scoop back and we will give you a full refund, pay for shipping back and I will throw in an additional $30 for your trouble. Please post here if you agree and I will send a check right away providing you agree to return the scoop.

We not only have a life time warranty but you need to be happy from the start!

Regards,
Chuck
Manufacturer of the Stealth Scoops

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dew & Gary: I can vouch for both scoops as I have tested and use both the Stealth 720i and the T-REX. They are both well made and I do not prefer one over the other.

I purchased both as I could not make up my mind as to which was best before buying. I was going to try both out and keep the one I liked best and sell the other. Instead, I kept both as each has its advantage(s).

I use the Stealth when I am either digging near/between rocks, prying under rocks, or where targets are deep and I need to get down fast before losing the target (basket is 15” long, 7 “ wide). The 54 inch handles allows me to retrieve in chest to chin deep water. While the Vish tip cuts through the hard bottom like butter and is ideal for picking between rocks.

I use the T Rex as an all around scoop, especially where there are high value small targets as they are less likely to fall through tighter 1/ 4 inch stainless steel grid pattern. It works better on retrieving shallower targets as its basket is 9 inches wide and you can go down 12” at a bite. A wider scoop increases my probability of detecting shallower targets on the first try as I have difficulty in accurately pin pointing with my 10” DD coil.

I am looking for a way of extending locally available 48” ash handle(s) to 54” so that I can retrieve chest to chin deep water targets as this scoop's handle goes underwater around waist deep. Oh by the way, I am over six foot.

As both scoops are extreme earth movers, you need to be in good shape to effectively use them, especially when lifting a full scoop of wet sand which is very very heavy.

Further, I will be definitely purchasing an additional stand up water scoop from Chuck ((IIRC -a Sunspot classic s8 (sugar sand 8 inch)) which is stronger since the handle goes all the way to the bottom of the scoop and will have it reinforced "Okinawa style", hopefully by Chuck, so that I will be able to pry larger rocks if and only when necessary.

Or a Sunspot classic 6.5 (if I can get the smaller hole size sugar sand pattern) with it for lighter lifting weigh. Since I seem to be stuck with a young mind in old an bod and fear loosing a valuable target before it gets sucked down overides common sense, everytime.

I am eagerly looking forward to trying out the older style 90 degree angle handle as I suspect that it will be easier to control in strong currents and provide even better balance when used as a staff.

Treasure hunting in shallow water and on unprotected beaches in Hawaii is challenging. Currents are strong, especially at tide changes and you are warned to never turn your back on the ocean since an unseen wave can snatch you off the beach and pull you out.

"Price is not a constraint when you cannot afford it to begin with"

Last edited:

Takodiver

Dec 27, 2011
OKINAWA Japan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac/Minelab Excalibur II Sunspot 720I Scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pi rat,

You can't beat the customer service and warranty from Chuck. If something goes wrong with the scoop, you'll have a new one sent express mail. I have dug over 30 rings with the 720I, and am very happy with their products!

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I have a serious problem with your post. You are either inventing the story, or you are extremely inexperienced. There is no such thing in an ocean surf as "no need to move that amount of material". If you aren't strong enough to carry the scoop, say so. If you are using cheap detectors for recent drops in the top inch of dry sand, say so. If you had a problem, I doubt you called or even sent an email. When part of my order was back-ordered, I sent an email. When I got upset over no reply I checked my spam-filter and found the email (even though others went through). The problem was on my end, and I never went around attempting to trash a quality company like Chuck's.

To Barrel - I love my 720i scoop. I hope you are happy with the one you chose. Lots of options out there for lots of diggers, chose what you like!

Last edited:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pi Rat, I think you should chime in and tell us what you think of Sunspot Stealth now that Chuck has made things right with you. It is the right thing to do buddy. :icon_thumright:

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does anyone know what happened to PI_Rat?
Something(s) cheesy here – first Wydah goes incommunicado, then Casper, even Big Scoop mumbles concerns of being stalked. Sure hope everything is okay with PI.

What is the latest poop on the scoop? Did the Rat accept the ten dollar refund and keep the scoop? Or did the Rat return the scoop and take the offered thirty dollars for his alleged troubles?

As the Rat used several threads posted on the T Net Forum, and who knows what other forums, to not only discredit one of the best scoops manufactured in the US , he/she also used it to attack the business ethics of the manufacturer ( who does this a side line to his main business).

I agree with Sandman, that there needs be closure on how this situation/alleged problem(s) are resolved, hopefully satisfactorily.
Eagerly looking forward to your reply PI.
Mahalo (Thank you and all others) for your timely reply(s).

Can Slaw

Nov 20, 2007
So Gulf Coast, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur, CZ-21 Sov. GT, Sea Hunter MK II, CZ-6a, Troy X5, MXT, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Hello PI Rat,
Sorry you are not happy with anything. I was on vacation when this thing (the $10 refund delay) happened and I am sorry my employee sent the wrong scoop. I am sure you are kidding when you said that we tried to screw you out of $10.

I just checked and see that Lyndia sent a check Monday for the $10.

I have a great solution:

Please send the scoop back and we will give you a full refund, pay for shipping back and I will throw in an additional $30 for your trouble. Please post here if you agree and I will send a check right away providing you agree to return the scoop.

We not only have a life time warranty but you need to be happy from the start!

Regards,
Chuck
Manufacturer of the Stealth Scoops

Can't beat that for service and I don't even own a Stealth. Nice going Chuck.

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Your prior post of avoiding the 720i like the plague was not only funnier it was hysterical (LOL)and if true historical.
I was not aware that I could catch the plague from using a stand up water scoop. I always thought that the plague was passed by flees jumping off a living/fresh dead creature, the most common being a rat.

There is something cheesy about your complaint /warning as the 720i is only made with 1/2" holes.
If it came with 1/4" holes, it would have to be named differently. Maybe Chuck could name it a “Baby 720i" like a Baby Swiss cheese which has smaller holes. Better yet Chucky Cheese 720 1/4 hola!

Gee, I am a retired senior citizen in poor health, but can handle that big of a scoop, maybe you the need 54" extension so you can stand tall.

It would be terribly nice to find out if Chuck's offer was acceptable! Or is it still necessary for him to change the way he runs his business and reduce the quality of his product(s) and service?

Last edited:

TallTom

Mar 3, 2012
So. Calif.
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact, Makro Racer, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Sand Shark.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, I don't know anything about the situation with PI Rat, but I do have a
Stealth 720i scoop with 48" wood handle and the lift assist handle.

I use it in the wet sand and I really like it. I like that it's big. That gives me
a choice between digging a full scoop so I can go deep quickly, or digging
a shallow, wide scoop that's lighter weight when I think my target is shallow.

I should also point out that I'm tall (6'6", or about 198 centimeters to you
non-Americans), and the 48" handle works fine. I got the short handle because
I didn't think the longer handle would permit me to store the scoop in my
Camry's trunk. (And now that I have it, I think I was right.)

However, I'm only detecting in wet sand and shallow water, up to about ankle
deep. If I start detecting in waist deep or shoulder deep water, maybe I'll
regret the shorter handle. I'll find out soon, now that the hot weather is
starting.

By the way, I don't use the 720i in dry sand. It's much easier to use a
smaller, metal hand scoop for that. But in the wet sand, I really do like
my 720i. I strongly recommend the lift assist handle to make it easier
to lift heavy loads of wet sand. It eases the strain on the hands nicely.

--Tom

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions