What's new

Steel penny

sathmcnugent

Jr. Member
Joined
May 2, 2008
Messages
54
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
I just found what I believe is a steel penny. My question is whats the best way to clean it. I know people say you shouldnt clean coins however this once is VERY rusty. I compared the thickness and diameter to that of a common penny and they are very close so in my mind it has to be a 43 steel wheat penny. Any ideas would be appreciated! Thanks S.M.
 
Upvote 0
If it sticks to a magnet it is a steel penny. I've never tried cleaning one as it didn't seem worth it to me. I've thought about using some spray on rust remover one could get at Home Depot though. My guess is that if it is pretty rusty the surface of the coin has been damaged too much.

Brian
 
HCL acid aka muriatic will eat rust but not the steel.
if it has rusted there is nothing to lose by cleaning it, It will make it a nice pretty steel color again.

Any pits, or places where the rust had eaten into the coin will always be damaged. But it wont be rusty anymore.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom