Sterling and I got flipped the bird while detecting...AGAIN!!

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Hey folks,

Sorry about the title, I couldn’t resist! I found a middle finger pendant earlier this year and found another middle finger item today.

98F8B658-6A46-4136-A2AF-57A496F60187.jpg

Got out with forum member NoThisIsPatrick for several hours this morning. Today was one of the wettest days of the year. Yesterday, Seattle received the most rain it has had in a single day in more than a decade. Pretty wild and it was still coming down when we got out there this morning. Good thing we both have waterproof machines.

Turns out, it was a good thing we got out today.

Here are my best finds:
DE6394EC-A726-48C2-B953-854CEEDD630F.jpg
AC1BDEA2-5EE7-448E-945B-0D4E0B80E97A.jpg

A sterling ring, 7 Wheats (oldest is a 25-S) and a Rainier Valley Railway Co transit token.

Here are some other doodads:
176DEF8C-F8B0-4515-8596-3B04B7605F8D.jpg
DCEAAAAA-7FA8-4179-B3BF-FD08C35D4E97.jpg

Hopefully I can get out one or two more times before 2019 comes to a close.

Merry Christmas y’all!
-W

Upvote 25

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wouldn’t consider a Kennedy half a doodad

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Washingtonian , That's a very nice sterling ring ! The turquoise is almost certainly American mined - I say that because the ring has some age to it by virtue of the obvious heavy wear on the sawtooth bezel - that split shank design with the silver ball ornaments has been in use for most of a century by Navajo silversmiths . I would guess your ring was made in the 1950's or so - by the 1970's most of the good American turquoise mines were played out . The vast majority of turquoise used in jewelry today is coming in from
China , or Indonesia.
Looking at your pics again - I think the ring could be
earlier than 50's - maybe 30's /40's !

Last edited:

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to tough out the weather. One thing I learned when I was stationed in the Puget Sound region was if you waited until it stopped raining to do anything you would never get anything done!

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Nice!!! Congrats!!!

OP
OP
washingtonian

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Washingtonian , That's a very nice sterling ring ! The turquoise is almost certainly American mined - I say that because the ring has some age to it by virtue of the obvious heavy wear on the sawtooth bezel - that split shank design with the silver ball ornaments has been in use for most of a century by Navajo silversmiths . I would guess your ring was made in the 1950's or so - by the 1970's most of the good American turquoise mines were played out . The vast majority of turquoise used in jewelry today is coming in from
China , or Indonesia.
Looking at your pics again - I think the ring could be
earlier than 50's - maybe 30's /40's !

Thank you for all this info. That is awesome! That’s way more than I knew. As I look closely at the ring, it looks like unfortunately the turquoise color is painted on.

OP
OP
washingtonian

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Way to tough out the weather. One thing I learned when I was stationed in the Puget Sound region was if you waited until it stopped raining to do anything you would never get anything done!

Ain’t that the truth? Sometimes it’ll just rain for days. Just have to get rainproof versions of everything and tough it out!

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm pretty sure that you have a natural stone there - the non blue green areas are consistant with matrix varieties that are common in turquoise - I don't claim to be an expert on turquoise , but I have lived in the Santa Fe ,NM area for nearly 50 years , seen tons of it , and worked with Native silversmiths for decades .

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Based on your finds... is it just me, or does the State of Washington seem to be giving the finger to the rest of the country! :laughing7:

Love the vintage turquoise silver ring, great information by Argentium. :notworthy:

Dave

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for the new pics ! No paint there my friend ! Your stone is absolutely legit ! That ring screams VINTAGE !! Righteous find , Get excited
Christmas came early for you .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread