Stone tool Hoe? Hand ax?

Opps Ifoundit

Greenie
Aug 13, 2013
Tacoma WA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this one many years ago in the same waterfront garden in the San Juan Islands WA as my last stone tool post. I always saw it as a hoe or a shovel. Notice how it's been worked all the way around, but the blunt end is worn down from its use. fits nice in your hand! Measures 6" x 3 1/2". Anyone know how it was used?
DSCN0652.JPG DSCN0653.JPG DSCN0654.JPG DSCN0655.JPG DSCN0657.JPG DSCN0658.JPG DSCN0659.JPG DSCN0660.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 0

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting piece..it looks just like ones guys I know in North Carolina call a hoe.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im not a good crude hoe type of person but Im leaning toward natural on that one. It is on the border line for me to go either direction on it. Not saying it isnt but Im not saying it is either.

OP
OP
O

Opps Ifoundit

Greenie
Aug 13, 2013
Tacoma WA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for helping figure it out guys! If it's something or not.
I'm not sure if any hoes have been found there. I might have thrown this in the rock pile while gardening that day if I hadn't already found other artifacts there. It was within about 50' of the stone tool in my last stone tool post. I hear the natives didn't live in the islands, they just came seasonally. The small stream of water makes it a great place to beach the canoe and big field right there. If it is a tool it might not even be that old. Because an old timer around 90 years old that lived nearby told me in the 1970's that there was still potlatches there occasionally even when he was a boy. So that would have been around 1890's? Found this local short video explaining how Northwest Native American Agriculture resembled permaculture.
PNW Native American Agriculture resembled permaculture (ancestral skills forum at permies)

Last edited:

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I suggest you research your specific area on the internet.
Look at artifacts found there.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Part of my family is from Shaw. Time was when you could walk the beach there and it was almost impossible NOT to find a point...oddly enough, usually obsidian too. While your stone could easily have been used to did with, hoes are not really in the tool kit of these peoples as they were not farmers. Most digging tools would have been made of wood, especially cedar as it was plentiful and used for almost everything, (including the bark). Having said that I still would be looking at that rock from time to time saying "hmmmm"....

jackflashz

Greenie
Aug 18, 2013
By the Columbia River
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Part of my family is from Shaw. Time was when you could walk the beach there and it was almost impossible NOT to find a point...oddly enough, usually obsidian too. While your stone could easily have been used to did with, hoes are not really in the tool kit of these peoples as they were not farmers. Most digging tools would have been made of wood, especially cedar as it was plentiful and used for almost everything, (including the bark). Having said that I still would be looking at that rock from time to time saying "hmmmm"....

unclemac - can you post some of those obsidian points?

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw a hoe today found in my area. It was a rectangle shaped flat stone maybe 6 inches long probably woodland period. The only thing is it had a notch on each side on one end. If it werent for the notch I would of called rock on it. Some were quite crude but I guess they did the job.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
unclemac - can you post some of those obsidian points?

no, I didn't "inherit" those points...we all found them as a family and but them in a jar...one of my cousins wound up with the jar. After that I learned to keep my points to myself...here is a nice obsidian "cascade" type knife point I found but not from the island....

Attachments

• DSC04839.JPG
    DSC04839.JPG
    203.9 KB · Views: 125

jackflashz

Greenie
Aug 18, 2013
By the Columbia River
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Cascade ! Too bad on not 'inheriting" those points. The only thing I can find on Obsidian being found in the San Juans is that they are really rare.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Nice Cascade ! Too bad on not 'inheriting" those points. The only thing I can find on Obsidian being found in the San Juans is that they are really rare.

we were told by a local all those years ago that there was a source on one of the islands, but i don't remember which one.

scepter1

May 17, 2011
Western Washington
Primary Interest:
we were told by a local all those years ago that there was a source on one of the islands, but i don't remember which one.

University of Washington archy told me that obsidian artifacts found in Washington is material/artifacts brought in from central Oregon, and that's why they are rare.

CrazySlasher

Jul 6, 2010
SS of MA.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab E-Trac w/Sunray probe and 15' WoTcoil.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think natural.

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
You had it figured out before you even posted. It is a crude hoe. It's not as crude as many I've seen. Nice find!

OP
OP
O

Opps Ifoundit

Greenie
Aug 13, 2013
Tacoma WA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The girls in the kitchen just burst out laughing when I told them what you said it is. What's so funny? I don't get it. lol

OP
OP
O

Opps Ifoundit

Greenie
Aug 13, 2013
Tacoma WA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey unclemac! We used to beach the boat over at Shaw island back in the day to get away from Lopez for awhile. Back then there was nuns running the ferry dock and the only store. So if you bought beer you were buying it from a nun! Now that's different. Very quiet peaceful Island. The people keep it that way.

scepter1

May 17, 2011
Western Washington
Primary Interest:
When I was 18, I was as deckhand on a purse seiner, fishing the San Juans. Those nuns didn't card you if you came off the fishng boats...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread