What's new

Stones and Bones! :)

TJE

Bronze Member
Joined
Feb 18, 2013
Messages
1,354
Reaction score
1,159
Golden Thread
0
Location
Great Lakes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thought I'd share a few pics of a minute part of my collection, Yet to show here on T/N.
Dark pieces in tubs are dino, light ones in tubs are buffalo, elk, etc.
Cheers!
TJE
 

Attachments

  • 2013-03-23 12.01.18.webp
    2013-03-23 12.01.18.webp
    207.1 KB · Views: 207
  • 2013-03-23 12.00.22.webp
    2013-03-23 12.00.22.webp
    201.7 KB · Views: 228
  • 2013-03-23 11.59.33.webp
    2013-03-23 11.59.33.webp
    229.2 KB · Views: 180
As reference to the elk bones, have you ever found any elk skulls with the ''ivories'' still intact? I was just wondering if the ivory had any unique coloration?
 
The cut sections that is circled in red, is that from you quarry? And the shale sections (circled yellow), are they found in or near your quarry? Also do the shale contain fossils?
 
The cut sections that is circled in red, is that from you quarry? And the shale sections (circled yellow), are they found in or near your quarry? Also do the shale contain fossils?
Hey old digger, yes...to all you're questions :) All the cut/broken 'Layered stone is our quarry material,
all quarry layers will/do vary in thickness, color, strength (density), Etc.
Shale...(we call it Black Flagstone) usually rich with fossils...and found in most all layers.
 
As reference to the elk bones, have you ever found any elk skulls with the ''ivories'' still intact? I was just wondering if the ivory had any unique coloration?

Never did 'luck-out' on an elk skull....just the buffalo that a buddys girlfriend seen first! Hahaha! :)
'Ivories'....are the back pair of molar teeth...correct?
 
Never did 'luck-out' on an elk skull....just the buffalo that a buddys girlfriend seen first! Hahaha! :)
'Ivories'....are the back pair of molar teeth...correct?

The ''ivories'' are the front top fang like teeth in elk, and were/are used in adornation and jewlery.

variants_large_3305.webp img_7206.webp

The indian women adorned them on their clothing.

crow.webp Elk Ivory cermonial dress.
 
Hey old digger, yes...to all you're questions :) All the cut/broken 'Layered stone is our quarry material,
all quarry layers will/do vary in thickness, color, strength (density), Etc.
Shale...(we call it Black Flagstone) usually rich with fossils...and found in most all layers.


''Goodness Gracious''!! I would go nuts looking for fossils in your quarry with all the possibilities of finding the inevidible. Your are blessed with the opportunities of having such a rich fossil collection area to search. :thumbsup:
 
What varieties of fossils are you finding within the black flagstone? And have you found any unusually rare specimens?
 
What varieties of fossils are you finding within the black flagstone? And have you found any unusually rare specimens?
Hey old digger,
Pretty much trying to collect all the different lifeforms (plant and animal) of the Silurian ecosystem...
Yes, the black flag holds alot!!.... a few layers seem to have very few/no fossils (major or total extinctions?)Hundreds of thousands or millions of years apart?, usually in the thicker layers separated 4-6 feet apart in depth as you quarry down/lower!
Yes, some rare fossils I've only one or two specimens of!...(mostly unknowns).
 
Last edited:
If I may ask, what type of plant fossils are you finding?
 
If I may ask, what type of plant fossils are you finding?
Hey old digger,
I've not had 'the experts' study the 'plants' discovered so far...so naming them would be guessing.
The Silurian life of 430-450 million yrs ago....'Supposedly' when our planet was entirely covered in saltwater 'had no land'. All plant & animal life fossil came from Ocean and shallow Sea floors (plants:bulbs instead of roots) I'm told....but I do have "one" plant fossil that I believe has ..."roots"!!....and "one" Eurypterid (Sea scorpion) with "Front claws & Legs" just like todays modern species!! (I call him "The Walker") Heh heh heh! :)
 
That Eurypterid (Sea Scorpion), is that the only one that you have found in the quarry?
 
That Eurypterid (Sea Scorpion), is that the only one that you have found in the quarry?
No, this one is the only one I've discovered with "Legs" and "No Swimming Paddles"and also with two front "claws".
That's why I question the 'no land' period of that age. :)
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom