What's new

Straight shaft question

fire1234

Tenderfoot
Joined
Jun 14, 2010
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Looking to get a straight shaft for my excal II 800. Looking at the Andersons from Kellyco, noticed they had a regular side mount long shaft, and a new one that is a over/under model. Any suggestions on which is a better set-up? Also I'm 6'1" and I need a few more inches to fit my comfort level than what the stock shaft gives. Will the straight shafts give me anymore length?
 
Upvote 0
fire1234 said:
Looking to get a straight shaft for my excal II 800. Looking at the Andersons from Kellyco, noticed they had a regular side mount long shaft, and a new one that is a over/under model. Any suggestions on which is a better set-up? Also I'm 6'1" and I need a few more inches to fit my comfort level than what the stock shaft gives. Will the straight shafts give me anymore length?

If your 6'1" the Anderson is going to be too short for you.

Why don't you make your own, they are fairly simple to make. Get a 6 foot piece of 7/8 inch aluminum tubing cut it tot the length you want and drill holes for the A clip to slide up the shaft. The lower fiber shaft that holds the coil will slide right up inside it., use your controls as a patternt to mark where you wnat the controls at on the rod with a felt tip pen. Highly recommend you put the controls up above where your elbow is so they are with in easy reach and angle the controls so they are aqay from you. Use a bicycle handle bar extension for the hand grip.............
 
I agree with Marty build you own for 25-30 dollars and I actually like the one I built better than the Anderson I bought.

03-36450-4 6061T6 ALUM TUBE 7/8X.065 4FT
excact size you will need I get 4' Hope this helps

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/index.html
 
Would either of you have a picture of what your set up looks like?
 

Attachments

  • ss.webp
    ss.webp
    58.5 KB · Views: 753
  • handle bar ends.webp
    handle bar ends.webp
    58.7 KB · Views: 745
  • gh.webp
    gh.webp
    80.4 KB · Views: 1,157
  • ss.webp
    ss.webp
    58.5 KB · Views: 726
fire1234 said:
Would either of you have a picture of what your set up looks like?

Here is a shot of Pete's (Erikk)machines
 

Attachments

  • addon.webp
    addon.webp
    11.8 KB · Views: 940
FloridaBill said:
fire1234 said:
Would either of you have a picture of what your set up looks like?

Here is a shot of Pete's (Erikk)machines

Now that is what I have to call an ARSENAL of machines! :notworthy:
 
Peter has me beat, here is my beach arsenal.....Missing is Whites 6000 XL Pro and my Fisher 1235X competition machine... The Excal on the left now has the Sunray S-12 hard wired on.....

DSCF2034.jpg
 
Nice! I have really been wanting to update my arsenal for a long time now but every time I find a deal I'm too late.

I really think I'm wanting to add an Excal II with WOT and a Whites Dual Field to my line up and retire/sell my Surf PI or keep it as a loaner/backup.

I've been wanting an Excal since 1990, but I have never been at the right place at the right time. I've borrowed one before and did not really think it was my cup of tea, but I have some spots that really you just can't hunt with a PI machine. I keep saying one day, I'm going to get that Excalibur!

My birthday is coming up and my wife asked me last week if I was still wanting a new metal detector. I said yeah, even though things have been pretty slow in the finds department it would be nice to have a new one. She said what was it, an Excalibur? I was surprised she not only remembered, but paid that much attention. Honestly I am not getting my hopes up, but it got me to thinking about getting one again and I started looking around for a used machine. I found a pretty good deal and of course it was sold, well sort of as the seller said. The guy sent him a deposit and was supposed to come pick it up at the end of this month. But the seller said he was fairly confident that it was sold. Guess I will have to keep looking.

By the way, how do you like that grip on your scoop? I tried to locate one of those locally last year to give a try and had no luck finding one. The manufacturers website said that Home Depot was a retailer, but the folks at HD never heard of one or saw it. I even showed them the web page with the grip and the Home Depot logo on it. Where did you get yours?
 
Barebones it sounds like you have a fine wife there and are a lucky man. :thumbsup:
 
Sandman said:
Barebones it sounds like you have a fine wife there and are a lucky man. :thumbsup:

I think so too most of the time, but it does not hurt that I give her first pick of anything I find. :icon_sunny:
 
Barebones, what area of Florida are you in?
 
Can't upload MS Word Doc but if U want the instructions send me an e mail

erik8829@gmail.com
 
erikk said:
Can't upload MS Word Doc but if U want the instructions send me an e mail

erik8829@gmail.com

here it is

U get the tube at Aircraftspruce.com get 6061t6 7/8 OD .745 ID 4 feet @ $3.20 per foot #03 36450.Your lower shaft will measure .744 which makes for a very nice fit requiring no lock nuts. Go to a bike shop and get the long bar ends with the bend $19.95 a pair and pick up a package of foam grip covers (4) for $9.95. Use your arm cuff off your old S rod and the pods for templates to drill the 1/4 holes. Use 1 3/4 x 1/2 SS bolts if U can find them otherwise get 2 inch and grind them down. Use SS wing nuts on the pods and a SS/nylon lock nut on the cuff. I usually remove about 6 inches from the 4 ft length so I can put much more lower up in the tube for more strength
If U don't use the tubing from Aircraft spruce all bets are off
 
Treasure_Hunter said:
Barebones, what area of Florida are you in?

South end of Miami
 
I would make my own ...cheaper. I also just welded my handle and did a rope wrap. One thing I have noticed is I made mine quite long compared to most, and I am finding 20 percent more targets since I cover so much more ground. In the water it is fine, just have to put your arm back a lil more to PP

PC210010-1.jpg
 
:hello2:
i bought the overunder one from kellyco. easy to put together and extends reach by a lot.
my excal is about 47 inches at max extention. the overunder is about 56 inches.
that gives a tall guy a little extra reach.
good luck, jack (urdaboss)
 
sorry, pix did not come out- try again
 
my excal hasn't arrived yet but I got my tubing and even have the paint to match thanks to Pete.....

excal4.jpg

excal.jpg
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom