What's new

strange brooch need help to id

midland dan

Tenderfoot
Joined
Mar 12, 2022
Messages
6
Reaction score
16
Golden Thread
0
found this two part brooch, the lower part has symbols that are hidden when top part is attached. would like to hear of any ideas of what the symbols mean.
 

Attachments

  • 009.webp
    009.webp
    438.5 KB · Views: 107
  • 008.webp
    008.webp
    483.6 KB · Views: 100
  • 012.webp
    012.webp
    50.4 KB · Views: 95
  • 010.webp
    010.webp
    22.6 KB · Views: 95
  • 007.webp
    007.webp
    248.4 KB · Views: 94
That's very interesting. 3 crosses and a lot more on there. Maybe religious. On second look, that looks like a ship with masts, not crosses.
 
Last edited:
The three links of chain are often associated with the Odd Fellows. Sometimes the letters F L T inside the links.
 
Last edited:
After a little searching I am even more inclined to think it is an I.O.O.F. (odd fellows) pin of some sort. There are still lodges around but not many. I would try to contact a lodge and maybe they would shed light on it for you.
 
After a little searching I am even more inclined to think it is an I.O.O.F. (odd fellows) pin of some sort. There are still lodges around but not many. I would try to contact a lodge and maybe they would shed light on it for you.
Thank you much, had tried ancient symbols, and knights of the golden circle but nothing matched. I will investigate the odd fellows and see what i can find . Thanks again
 
Thank you much, had tried ancient symbols, and knights of the golden circle but nothing matched. I will investigate the odd fellows and see what i can find . Thanks again
My pleasure. I knew the three linked chain but I am also seeing similar symbology on other memorabilia but I didn't find anything with all of those on it.
 
Looks like a pomander. One would put scented flowers or spices in it when wearing, pre-deoderant.
no room for that fits as one piece, and is only 3/4 inch wide. i found it around 10 years ago and have never met anyone who had ever seen one like it at all. found in a railroad crossroads town in southern Iowa. ,now a DNR public hunting area. I appreciate any thoughts on it as i still have no conclusive guesses.
My pleasure. I knew the three linked chain but I am also seeing similar symbology on other memorabilia but I didn't find anything with all of those on it.
glad you knew about the oodfellows, I asked an old oddfellow member and he said he didn't recognize any of the other symbols. but one looks like a celtic awen symbol and the bat looking ones resemble a viking symbol for equally armed. the oodest thing i have ever found
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom