What's new

strange copper token

Moe (fl)

Hero Member
Joined
Jul 25, 2007
Messages
731
Reaction score
98
Golden Thread
0
Location
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Whites, Tesoro, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Need help identifying this copper token found at the beach.

It is the size of a US quarter. It reads "PARLOR GRAND". There is a dolphin and 6 stars. Note the 4 characters at the bottom. It looks like a year backwards ("7571"?). Both sides are the same.

Thanks.
 

Attachments

  • t1.webp
    t1.webp
    30.6 KB · Views: 410
  • t2.webp
    t2.webp
    41.2 KB · Views: 394
  • t3.webp
    t3.webp
    36 KB · Views: 411
  • t4.webp
    t4.webp
    38.9 KB · Views: 387
  • t6.webp
    t6.webp
    25.8 KB · Views: 399
  • t7.webp
    t7.webp
    19 KB · Views: 403
strange token Moe. :icon_scratch: I search thru dolphin logos but cannot find this almost cartoonish image.
 
Upvote 0
The symbols at the bottom are puzzling. Is that a foreign language?
 
Upvote 0
Wasn't "Parlor Grand" a style or type of piano?
 
Upvote 0
Mackaydon said:
Yes, the parlor grand is a piano, the third largest; the largest being a concert grand. But I don't mean to get off target here.

That was the first thing I thought when I read this post. Can't see a connection with a piano though. The other thing I thought was the name of a hotel or resort. No luck in seeing something that direction either.
 
Upvote 0
This is a tough one. I think its an arcade or amusement token if I were to guess.

parlor game
n. A game that can be played indoors.


The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition



The dolphin is cartoonish in an amusement type of logo.
 
Upvote 0
I can help with those four mysterious symbols!
That is Japanese "katakana" or the phonetic alphabet for spelling out foreign words.
グランド
gu ra n do

It is the way to say "GRAND" with a real Japanese accent.
I did a search with Japan and parlor grand but i didnt come up with anything except pianos.
I'll bet it is a token from a game arcade, super popular here, even with the adults!
happy hunting!
 
Upvote 0
Thanks for the replies.

I think oledavidboy provided some good clues. I agree that the four symbols are Japanese. I wonder what the significance of the dolphin is.

-Moe
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom