What's new

Strange Crude Brass Item Found In Farm Field Near Lake Erie??

Goldiver

Bronze Member
🥇 Charter Member
Joined
Sep 15, 2006
Messages
2,348
Reaction score
1,152
Golden Thread
0
Location
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 40
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a strange one. It looks pretty old, cast and crudely hand finished. Possibly could have come from some sort of ship or boat due to being found near the lake. It appears to have been attached to an iron ball, the drilled hole possibly was for lubrication. Any guesses are welcome. Thanks!!

Steve
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1311.webp
    IMG_1311.webp
    28.1 KB · Views: 1,060
  • IMG_1312.webp
    IMG_1312.webp
    24.7 KB · Views: 1,035
  • IMG_1313.webp
    IMG_1313.webp
    23.8 KB · Views: 1,049
  • IMG_1310.webp
    IMG_1310.webp
    20.4 KB · Views: 1,052
  • IMG_1309.webp
    IMG_1309.webp
    24.9 KB · Views: 1,035
  • IMG_1304.webp
    IMG_1304.webp
    22.3 KB · Views: 1,039
  • IMG_1305.webp
    IMG_1305.webp
    27.7 KB · Views: 1,042
  • IMG_1306.webp
    IMG_1306.webp
    22.1 KB · Views: 1,043
  • IMG_1308.webp
    IMG_1308.webp
    26.3 KB · Views: 1,028
These things were posted here before but I think never positively identified. Interesting.
 
Upvote 0
I think it is a clamp-on grease cap/ball retainer socket for a piece of machinery. A zerk fitting would have screwed into the small hole on the side.
 
Upvote 0
creskol said:
I think it is a clamp-on grease cap/ball retainer socket for a piece of machinery. A zerk fitting would have screwed into the small hole on the side.
Thats a very good guess but Im wondering why none of the ones found have a zerk fitting and at least 3 have been found with the small hole.

Is the hole threaded?
 
Upvote 0
I just realized the one found by Mike in MI is identical and even appears to have the same number 1.
 

Attachments

  • unknown found by Mike.webp
    unknown found by Mike.webp
    9.8 KB · Views: 1,087
Upvote 0
The little hole may be a drainage hole, to allow trapped water to escape..........NGE
 
Upvote 0
Looks like an old window sash rope guide to me, but then they were usually pulleys. Just a thought.

http://tinyurl.com/6atga7p
 
Upvote 0
Dano Sverige said:
Looks like an old window sash rope guide to me, but then they were usually pulleys. Just a thought.

http://tinyurl.com/6atga7p

I think Dano is correct. Was there a school nearby where you found this? The old schools from the 50s-60s had huge, heavy windows, and your item looks like one of the brass sash rope guides used in those types of windows. Interesting find, Breezie
 
Upvote 0
When you look at a side-by-side comparison of the architecture of cut-away ball joint and the item in question, it's pretty hard to deny that its intended use was a ball joint of some nature ...
 

Attachments

  • balljoint.webp
    balljoint.webp
    40 KB · Views: 913
Upvote 0
When I first saw this I thought it was the cap for the ball on what I call radius rods on an old car, like a Model A. But then I saw the coin beside it and that idea went away but it could be a ball cap for an early shock absorber.
 
Upvote 0
It sure looks like a ball joint but Im not convinced it being brass. I would say this means not automotive. Also none where ever found with the grease fitting and Im not even sure there are threads. I would like to see this one solved as several were found.

Your link doesnt work Dano.

Great diagram creskol. :icon_thumright: Maybe its a ball type joint but not automotive being brass.

Goldiver is the "grease hole" threaded?
 
Upvote 0
Im thinking that bushings are often bronze so maybe the ball was steel and it was some special application ball joint afterall. But for what? It doesnt look very worn.
 
Upvote 0
Sorry guys I have been working crazy hours and haven't had a chance to reply. I appreciate all the responses. In reply to one post, the little hole is not threaded.

Part of the thrill of finding stuff is identifying it. :icon_thumleft:

Steve
 
Upvote 0
forget about zerks. Hole's way too small.

Doesn't mean that the hope wasn't for oil though.
 
Upvote 0
Bum Luck said:
forget about zerks. Hole's way too small.

How did you make that determination?
 

Attachments

  • Screen shot 2011-10-15 at 8.36.48 AM.webp
    Screen shot 2011-10-15 at 8.36.48 AM.webp
    43.6 KB · Views: 1,264
Upvote 0
creskol said:
When you look at a side-by-side comparison of the architecture of cut-away ball joint and the item in question, it's pretty hard to deny that its intended use was a ball joint of some nature ...

My first thought was a cap or top clamp for a ball joint of some sort. The two holes were used for threaded bolt studs to fit through.
Maybe from any variety of farming implements?


stay rod cap.webp

A "stay rod cap" from this site:

http://www.ytmag.com/cgi-bin/store/search_parts.cgi?ID=ftr&Category=Steering

(Scroll to near the bottom)

Best,
Scott​
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom