Struck gold today

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
TimC and I hunted a vacant lot near the house today. I've been going past it for months. I told him that a house must have been there years ago... pointing at where I thought the basement must have been. It is now filled but stills shows the squarish depression. We started at the huge tree that would have been in the front yard. A little clad was found; no old coins. Then this ring. Not visible in this photo are two very small loops, one on each side of the stone (garnet?). They probably held a filament-type gold chain across the stone. I was not operating in my normal "first time at a site mode, coins". I was doing all metal. registered 6.5 on my GTA 500 i.d. But since it was a rock solid i.d. , I dug it. The ring MAY be only gold plate. I say this because my experience has been that solid gold easily cleans to a very bright glint, even at the site. It was hard to knock the dirt off on site. Pretty anyway. I'll go back. TTC

Attachments

• MVC-039S.JPG
    MVC-039S.JPG
    13.6 KB · Views: 551
Upvote 0
YEEEEEEEEEEEEEE HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!! Good for you!! CONGRATULATIONS :wav: :blob3: :blob10: :headbang: :occasion18: :notworthy: :blob1: :hello2: :wav: :smileinbox: :occasion14: :icon_cheers: :cat:.

Terry... the best way to find out is a jeweler...

But in your case...you may want to try a test I often recommend...

It is called the hillbilly test... ;D :D

Ok here are the steps to take...

#1 pick up ring :-\

#2 place ring gently between teeth :-X

#3 bite down as hard as you can... :D

#4 if chocolate squirts out it is a fake! :o :-[

#5 if your teeth fall out it is real! 8)

Either way nice find.... :)

DFX-SE Gregg said:

How would you know? You a hillbilly? Ha ha! My usual test for plate is bleach. Drop it in a glass of bleach. If little bubbles come up, and little beads of black "stuff" clings to any worn spots or cracks.... plated. Real gold.... nothing happens. TTC

TerryC said:
DFX-SE Gregg said:

How would you know? You a hillbilly? Ha ha! My usual test for plate is bleach. Drop it in a glass of bleach. If little bubbles come up, and little beads of black "stuff" clings to any worn spots or cracks.... plated. Real gold.... nothing happens. TTC

Seriously Terry I have thought about buying one of those testing kits... But I think I can tell when they are real...wife and daughter take them! :D :D :D

I have a couple for myself though... May be sold or go on the trading block...would like a sunray probe for the se...

Going to a regular jeweler is often a rip off... I have a guy that buys/sells coins/jewelry...he is ok... but if you ever get anything good to sell midwest refineries gives a high percentage for the melt value.... Now Terry spit that ring out! :wink:

Nice find T.C. What does it say inside the ring?

Haven't cleaned it yet, JimB. No rush... it's in the pouch. I'll show it to you Wed. TTC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back