What's new

🥇 BANNER Stunning Early Militia Artillery Belt Plate leaves me stunned! WOW!

Scrappy

Gold Member
Joined
Mar 6, 2014
Messages
9,215
Reaction score
14,047
Golden Thread
7
Location
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
7
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
When you text a find to some of your best buddies and they all curse at you, that's when you know you have something really killer.

Well today was that day for me, and I'm so pleased with this find despite a new fan club being started called "FU Steve" (whatever that means) lol.

I've been having some luck at a site I'd all but written off. You see I've been staying away from the street - perhaps for reclusive reasons, or perhaps because I don't want other detectorists to spot me. Either way, lately, I've been chancing it and scoring lots of large cents and early buttons. Today I was hammering away and got a slamming hit on the Deus. The kind that make the Deus overload and sound like it's in stereo. I dig it despite being sure it was junk...

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1488332996.795949.webp

I say a few expletives after figuring out what it was.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1488333031.016703.webp

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1488333042.838859.webp

After some good advice from a few experts, I clean it with nothing but a toothpick and a chip brush.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1488333138.528331.webp
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1488333151.668432.webp
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1488333161.975096.webp
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1488333176.633704.webp

Finished off with some renaissance wax and viola!

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1488333208.848936.webp

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1488333220.977871.webp

A few friends with some incredible knowledge have confirmed it's a Ca. 1820 Militia Artillerist Belt Plate.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1488333354.587879.webp

Plate #4 in Crouch.



It was a true blessing to dig this plate, especially in the condition it's in. Enjoy and good hunts everyone.

Steve
 
Last edited:
Why is this not up top yet? Such a sick find!

"If you have a Banner up there Showing, You cannot earn another till yours is gone."

Hey Scrappy, feel free to copy and paste this...lol. It will be up there in approximately 3 months.
 
Scrappy I'm so glad to hear that you got a lot of your finds from NJ.Now I just have to hope you missed one or two.Keep up the hard work I'll be watchin.
 
Wow, that's one of the most beautiful plates I've seen. A big congrats!
 
Wow, that's one of the most beautiful plates I've seen. A big congrats!

It's getting its own display as we speak. A nice shadow box that'll go on the wall. Thanks for looking and the kind words.
 
I find myself coming back to this thread just to see it again,and again.....it's just that good:thumbsup:
 
Congrats Steve. Looks great up there.
 
Congrats on getting another banner Steve
 
I've slowed down on Tnet a bit lately, and have missed a lot of posts....but sure glad you earned Banner with this plate....incredible find my friend, congrats!
 
Absolutely amazing! Great find, and really great job cleaning and preserving it. Congrats!
 
Glad you got the banner on this one. Congrats!
 
Congrats on the well deserved banner:icon_thumright:
 
About time, congrats bud!
 
Congrats! [emoji106]
 
It looks excellent up there. Thanks everyone for the votes and FU's.
 
I find myself coming back to this thread just to see it again,and again.....it's just that good:thumbsup:

I agree. I'll post a picture when it's in the new display I'm making. Cheers
 
Congratulations on the banner! What an outstanding find.
 
Just catching up on everything...what you've done over the winter months is astonishing. And your work in total now is just out of this world. Really happy for you!
 
Hey. When i was skimming through my copy of Sydney C. Kerksis book, "Plates and Buckles of the American Military 1795-1874", looking for Stefs plate last night, i thought i remembered seeing your plate in the book.
Curiousity got the best of me this evening, so i though i would go back and look at it again.
The pic with the belt says, "Three early militia plates on their original belts". So the belt pictured should be what yours would have looked like.
Note the date Sydney gives this plate. I think your plate could be earlier than 1820's, and could possibly have been used in the War of 1812.
I love the design on your plate, and if its War of 1812 era, that makes it even better.
I dont know much about Kerksis, but i will say the book is 500+ pages full of info and illustrations, put together very well, and copyrighted in 1974.

So... Do you like apples?
 

Attachments

  • P3150001.webp
    P3150001.webp
    78.9 KB · Views: 125
  • P3150003.webp
    P3150003.webp
    72.3 KB · Views: 113
  • P3150004.webp
    P3150004.webp
    65 KB · Views: 124
  • P3150005.webp
    P3150005.webp
    52.7 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom