Super nice half dollar tellers tray find

santafeboy

Dec 8, 2010
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter 1100
So this teller has $4.50 in loose halfs. I say I will buy them all, then she spots this one and says oh wow this must be a new one ( Im seeing the silver edge plus she is older than me and looks like she knows silver ) fortunately she doesnt, I walk out the door trying not to shout Holy S***!! Its a 1982 George Washington 250th anniversary of birth Half Dollar not a scratch on it !! I looked this up in the Redbook and it is supposedly a 90%. Totally great find, Other finds today 1967 40%, 1942 Mercury, 1962 D,1963 D, 2x1964 D Roosevelts.

Upvote 0
( Im seeing the silver edge plus she is older than me and looks like she knows silver )
I do this all the time when I'm at the bank. I probably look like a weirdo eyeing all of the coin trays checking for any silver that might be present, I swear I can see silver in clad a mile away. Nice find for sure!

Last edited by a moderator:
So this teller has $4.50 in loose halfs. I say I will buy them all, then she spots this one and says oh wow this must be a new one ( Im seeing the silver edge plus she is older than me and looks like she knows silver ) fortunately she doesnt, I walk out the door trying not to shout Holy S***!! Its a 1982 George Washington 250th anniversary of birth Half Dollar not a scratch on it !! I looked this up in the Redbook and it is supposedly a 90%. Totally great find, Other finds today 1967 40%, 1942 Mercury, 1962 D,1963 D, 2x1964 D Roosevelts.
i thought i spotted a silver half once using the drive through. bought the loose halves. i was right.h.h.

Looking at the teller trays is always funny. If we could only post a few bank videos of us doing it on here I bet we would get a few laughs. Probably look like bank robbers or something. hahaha

I found a franklin in a tellers tray once and a 1963 washington quarter. Not at the same time but any good CRHer can tell silver from clad a mile away

Can you buy half dollars through the drive through? Sorry if this is a dumb question.
no its not a dumb question. the drive throughs i use have the slide out trays not the air tubes. since i only usually buy 3 or 4
rolls at a time it works for me.
-

I found one of those George washington proofs in a half dollar box once. It was cool because I have some copies of them I got from my great uncle still in the original packages so it was neat to find one in the wild

if you go to the commerical line * and ask the tellers often you can get halfs if they got any . ( big dollar ikes to)

no its not a dumb question. the drive throughs i use have the slide out trays not the air tubes. since i only usually buy 3 or 4
rolls at a time it works for me.
-

I believe most of the banks in my area have the air tubes. I don't believe they are allowed to put coins in those tubes. That's just speculation. Can anyone confirm?

I believe most of the banks in my area have the air tubes. I don't believe they are allowed to put coins in those tubes. That's just speculation. Can anyone confirm?

They aren't supposed to put rolls in the tubes, although when I was a teller we sent a roll through the tubes on occasion without incident. In the drive-thru you are more likely to find just a few from teller trays rather than full rolls anyway. Like someone mentioned, if the bank has a commercial lane with a pull-out drawer, go through that lane just in case they do have full rolls.

I usually only do drive-thru if it is a drive-thru only branch. If there is a lobby I go in since most of the rolls of coins are brought into the lobby by customers anyway, and usually the lobby tellers can call back to the drive-thru to see if there are half dollars down there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back