Swamp Gold

Thanks sphillips. I dont know how to respond to the last questions.

Heres an example of the gold trinkets that can be found on the Treasure Coast. They are found by research, hard work and metal detection equipment. Rarely do we hear a success story with dowsing. http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/shipwrecks/190314-gold-hawg-1715-fleet-find.html

Im glad to hear you witnessed a dowsing success story because they are so few. It doesnt matter what is true or what is not or what I believe.. I will tell the story to the Indians like I said But it will be an Indian decision to give permission to dig or not to dig.

Last edited:
It was while metal detecting on one of those very same beaches near Ft Pierce about 6 months ago that I came up with my theory of where the most coins are and a method to recover them.

For what it is worth I think there may be way more gold to be found on the west coast of Florida. Sorry to be posting info off the thread topic.

BCH- I'm just messin with ya.

The 1715 shipwrecks manifests were well documented. Maybe not every piece of gold but the Queens jewels are still missing. Much gold lies not in the water but under the beach. Gold sinks till it hits rock. Problem is that its just too deep for an electronic device to signal. I have seen all kinds of inventions (my buddy fashioned a post hole digger but all he found was sand fleas) but I havent seen an LRL or dowsing rod that really works on a regular basis.

Some guys were digging 6 foot holes in the beach at random at night hoping to get lucky and find gold but its just hit or miss and not the best method. Im not sure what they are finding but they leave many shovels behind. There is a lot of modern jewelry too. The beaches are full of gold. If someone ever invented an electronic device that could signal gold coins or rings at that kinda depth, metal detecting as we know it, would be all over. Believe me I put a lot of thought into this. If dowsing really works, then metal detectiong would be all over. The only use (for a MD)would be as a pinpointer perhaps.

But hey some things are unexplainable and who knows? Stranger things have happened.

Last edited:
BCH my Pulse Star will detect large objects down to 40'. I don't know how it reacts to single coins. Their web site is kind of vague about this. They say it will register like two signals when it passes under each side of the coil.
There is very little gold trinkets on Florida beaches. I know here on the west coast legions of metal detectorists scour the beaches early in the morning and again in the late evening. If someone lost jewelery during the day, someone is bound to find it soon.

BCH my Pulse Star will detect large objects down to 40'. I don't know how it reacts to single coins. Their web site is kind of vague about this. They say it will register like two signals when it passes under each side of the coil.
There is very little gold trinkets on Florida beaches. I know here on the west coast legions of metal detectorists scour the beaches early in the morning and again in the late evening. If someone lost jewelery during the day, someone is bound to find it soon.
I understand what you are saying, the Treasure Coast has the cleanest beaches in the world because of all the MDers but it still contains gold silver and emeralds. It hasnt all been found. How do I know? As soon as a hurricane strips away all the sand, the gold and silver is exposed. At this time its too deep unless your Pulse Star can reach it.

So we all wait for the next hurricane and hope to be the first on the beach. Who was that guy that found all the silver cobs after the storm? He said there were so many on the beach that night, he was filling his pockets without even using a detector. He came back the next day and couldnt find a single cob because they were already buried too deep.

The gold is there but its too deep. I detected out a beach trench here in Hollywood when they put in a boardwalk and it was full of old dated silver coins.http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/todays-finds/30507-trench-beach-produces-silver.html Old gold and silver will sink until it hits rock, shell or hard packed sand.. Thats why you can find no old dated coins on a sandy beach.

The beaches here still have gold. I search the surf only and like I said I find gold every 3rd or 4th trip. Gold can be found but its a lot of work. I may go tommorrow, I gotta check lo tide. . There is a lot of competition now. I was just wondering why a dowser couild not find this gold. On a crowded beach, most people are wearing gold or have gold in their possession in almost any direction that maybe why a dowser or LRL will not work.

Last edited:
I can believe that dowsing works in some cases but it doesnt work consistantly like a metal detector.

I think you should bury a gold or silver cob and if it (PulseStar) works, head out to a few choice locations on the Treasure Coast and see what you can find. There are a lot of beer cans but treasure still exists on those beaches and in the dunes absolutely no doubt about it.

Last edited:
photo.JPGphoto copy.JPG can anyone help me identify this??

Attachments

• spanish cob replica cocoa beach find 2007.jpg
    spanish cob replica cocoa beach find 2007.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 618
Last edited:
The Gold Hawg find was nice. You missed my point. It was not found on the beach. Salvor 6 understands. When I was on the east coast beach after the storm the beach was swarming with metal detectorists. The best stuff is deep. All gold will eventually sink until it hits something hard. I think it is concentrated in one part of the surf. I don't know but I don't think there is any law about digging a big hole by hand as long as you fill it in.

Anything buried in the swamp is going to eventually sink down to hardpan. Try digging with a shovel. The hole will fill up with water faster than you can dig. The water will cause the sides of the hole to cave in. The deeper you go, the wider the hole becomes. The hole will be more than twice as wide as it is deep. You have to have a mud hog (a type of pump) to keep up with the water. On a big hole you may need more than one pump.

Nothing is ever as easy as it sounds. If the swamp gold was easy to get to, it would already be gone. Same with most buried treasure in Florida. I just happen to know of one that was buried up under a limestone shelf. Not deep, but you can't dig it with a shovel. The pirates weren't stupid.

I guess you are missing my point. Why didnt a dowser point to the water and locate the Gold Hawgs Pelican? Does a dowsing rod only work on land? Why doesnt a dowser go after an area that is positively known to contain gold instead of some Everglades story with no known basis of fact? Never mind I already know the answer.

I dont believe for one second that Bonnies Pelican is the last treasure to be found on the Treasure Coast. Be it underwater or on the beach, treasure finds will continue to be found for years to come from the 1715 fleet.

You look at the banner on top of this page and see how many of these finds are made from dowsing? My guess its a big zero. But hey as far as dowsing goes, its really no sense talking about it. This is not a thread to prove or disprove dowsing. This is a thread to share research.

I was just asking what I thought was a simple question. Why doesnt a dowser go to the Treasure Coast? I didnt expect to get into a discussion that there is no gold on the beach!

Last edited:
Last thought. It is NOT my intention to prove or disprove dowsing. I think its possible to work in some cases and I think its best I leave it at that. .:occasion14:

The Gold Hawg find was nice. You missed my point. It was not found on the beach. Salvor 6 understands. When I was on the east coast beach after the storm the beach was swarming with metal detectorists. The best stuff is deep. All gold will eventually sink until it hits something hard. I think it is concentrated in one part of the surf. I don't know but I don't think there is any law about digging a big hole by hand as long as you fill it in.

Anything buried in the swamp is going to eventually sink down to hardpan. Try digging with a shovel. The hole will fill up with water faster than you can dig. The water will cause the sides of the hole to cave in. The deeper you go, the wider the hole becomes. The hole will be more than twice as wide as it is deep. You have to have a mud hog (a type of pump) to keep up with the water. On a big hole you may need more than one pump.

Nothing is ever as easy as it sounds. If the swamp gold was easy to get to, it would already be gone. Same with most buried treasure in Florida. I just happen to know of one that was buried up under a limestone shelf. Not deep, but you can't dig it with a shovel. The pirates weren't stupid.

Yes the depth problem is exactly why MDers cannot find treasure on the Treasure Coast unless its after a storm but I didnt realize dowsing had a depth limitation. You shouldnt have any problem digging on the beach unless its near the surf.

As far as the Everglades. I have seen a bulldozer sink in the muck and a second bullldozer, that tried to help, sunk on top of it. They are still there to this day. You also remember the jet crash that disappeared completely. This does not make me feel any better.

Nowhere did I say that there is no gold at the beach. My point is that old gold from the 1715 fleet will have long ago sunk down beyond the reach of most detectors. I think there is tons of old gold at the beach. Not on the beach, it's deep down IN the beach. In fact I think the action of the waves has worked it all into a trough right at the waters edge. It is pretty much impossible to dig deep in the surf by hand.

How do you know that dowsers are not digging and finding gold at the beach? Did you ask all of them? Did you research this subject?

Since you think that all the finds on the treasurenet banner made by dowsers add up to a "big, fat zero", I do not think you are the one to talk to the indians about my story. Your negativity is sure to come across and I don't want it rubbing off on me in any way. Besides as you say "there is no known basis of fact" that it exists. Thanks, but NO THANKS.

Nowhere did I say that there is no gold at the beach. My point is that old gold from the 1715 fleet will have long ago sunk down beyond the reach of most detectors. I think there is tons of old gold at the beach. Not on the beach, it's deep down IN the beach. In fact I think the action of the waves has worked it all into a trough right at the waters edge. It is pretty much impossible to dig deep in the surf by hand.

How do you know that dowsers are not digging and finding gold at the beach? Did you ask all of them? Did you research this subject?

Since you think that all the finds on the treasurenet banner made by dowsers add up to a "big, fat zero", I do not think you are the one to talk to the indians about my story. Your negativity is sure to come across and I don't want it rubbing off on me in any way. Besides as you say "there is no known basis of fact" that it exists. Thanks, but NO THANKS.
Okey Dokey. Im not sure how you expected me to react to dowsing. Did you expect me not to ask tough questions? Thats how we learn. (research and asking questions) Who not better to ask than you? I thought I kept a pretty open mind. But its your decision.

As far as the big fat zero comment it was only a guess. Someone will have to check through the entire banner. I dont remember reading any dowsing finds in my entire time as membership at TN since 2004 but I could certainly be wrong.. Since you seem to be offended by the comment, I may have no choice but to read each one, one at a time.

BTW I think it was Salvor that made the comment about little gold on the beach. I just thought that Ovid could drive down AIA and dowse some treasure. And I wondered why you didnt do it. Even if there was one ring or doubloon in every 5 miles, I was asking if Ovid could find it. I thought it was a simple question that deserved a simple answer.

Im a bit frustrated myself with the poor communication here today. I think your "trinket" reply was meant to say you were only searching for very large caches but yes, I think you should have went for the Queens Jewels on the Treasure Coast or at least a few gold doubloons.. Besides it would be a lot easier getting legal permission.

Last edited:
3 replys back I said this:
It is NOT my intention to prove or disprove dowsing. I think its possible to work in some cases and I think its best I leave it at that.

Repeat "I THINK ITS POSSIBLE TO WORK IN SOME CASES." Well that may sound like a negative comment but its the best I can do and I think its positive. Sort of like looking at the glass half empty or full. I have decided when I get time to search through the banner of finds to see how many have dowsing involved. Maybe Im missing something.

Thats the best I can do, Im tired, and I can see now its probably best not to even talk about anything until September.

Last edited:
I took Ovid on one quick trip to the east coast. We met a treasure hunter named John Durham. He took us to a plane crash site. It was supposed to have had a bunch of diamonds on it. The fact was he could not find the site that day as it had been years since he had been back in the mangroves to it. Ovid located it on a map. It was EXACTLY where Ovid had marked on the map.

A friend from Sarasota was with us. We asked Ovid to point to some diamonds. He swung this little plastic box that had a diamond in it and pointed to the ground. He had each one of us scoop up a couple big handfulls. He swung his little pendulum over our handfulls of dirt. He said that we each had diamonds in our hands. We both looked thru the sandy dirt and saw no diamonds. Ovid was looking at a spot and when he wasn't looking our way we threw the dirt down.

Ovid saw our empty hands and asked us what we did with the diamonds. We said we saw no diamonds and threw the dirt on the ground. He got a little upset and dissapointed in us. He said we threw the diamonds away. He was ready to go. It wasn't till later that we looked at the"diamond" in the plastic box. It looked like a brown piece of sandlike rock. He said it was an industrial diamond. It looked just like what we had in our hands. The cops and EMT's had already found all the easy to see SHINY diamonds. Ever since this experience I have said that you may not recognize a diamond-in-the-rough if you don't know what it looks like. This goes for all things, including people.

BTW--I wish I had spent time with Ovid looking for small stuff. I wish I had taken him to where he said there were 20.000 civil war rifles wrapped in bear grease and buried in the ground. I wished I had taken him out west to where he said there was a cave full of gold. I took him to a lot of places but I should have done more. Over a period of 5 years I would go and get him about every six months and take him on another trip. Time flew. He died. This was over 20 years ago. Time flies.

Spend some time reading the dowsing forum. Ask some of the posters their stories. Talk to some local plumbers. Keep an open mind. Read my latest post on my thread.

l
y

A canoe load of extremely rare blackpowder repeating rifles packed in grease are in the bottom of the Caloosahatchee River somewhere. This is not a legend but a well documented event. Harneys canoe sank when attacked by Indians during the Seminole War and the rifles were never retreived. I would love to find those.

Did you guys look for that by any chance?

No. I think the 20,000 rifles were out farther west. It was just one of many stories he told me. Don't forget my claim that it was Ovid that put one of Fisher's crew on top of a pile of Atocha gold. I go into great detail of that event in my book. I have to save some stories.

Jeffrey Kramer wrote:

• Florida in the 1830's was a battleground with the U. S. army engaged in a war against the Seminole Indians. It was not a place you would have expected to find a young inventor from Paterson, New Jersey, promoting his products. His name was Samuel Colt and he was selling guns.
Colt felt that his 8-shot revolving-cylinder carbines would find instant favor among men armed with single-shot rifles. But his success was limited. He sold a few handguns to officers, but his only quantity order was from Gen. Thomas S. Jessup for 50 carbines and more than half of them may be in a Florida swamp today, awaiting some lucky treasure hunter with a metal detector.
In a letter dated November 8, 1850, Col. Harney of the 2nd U. S. Dragoons reported; “Gen. Jessup ordered the purchase of 50 and they were placed in my hands . . . they were the first ever used or manufactured. Thirty of them were lost at Caloosahatchee . . .”
Stories vary as to just how the carbines were lost. One persistent version has it that the arms, still in their oak, zinc-lined, grease-filled cases, were lost when the canoes in which they were being transported were capsized during an Indian attack. If this is so, it's likely the guns may be in good condition today. Harney Point is part of present day Cape Coral.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back