Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's been hours since I dug this and I'm still shaking!

My buddy, my wife, and I all went out for a dig and we got on a little site that had a couple of shoe buckle pieces and some nice pottery and clay pipe stems but wouldn't give up even one button or find. We got worn out with that little, tiny, petite habitants spot, and changed scenery. The killer find from the little site was Shangeolang's nice early complete SPUR! :headbang:

Before I get to the real story, here's the unbelievable video.

In the next site we went to, we settled down and decided to stay a while. Almost immediately, flat buttons and musketballs started coming up. My buddy shouted me over to see a silver come out of the hole--and it was a dateless 17?? Half Real! Nothing like seeing some colonial era silver in the early morning sun!!!

IMG_0787.JPG'

He then got a nice dropped Enfield and I bagged a pocket watch winder

IMG_0792.JPG IMG_0803.JPG

Flat buttons kept coming. One was laying right on top of the ground and Shanguloid picked it up

IMG_0795.JPG IMG_0798.JPG

I also bagged a nice "Russian Blue" trade bead. Consensus is that these beads didn't circulate in the late 1800s, but I have found many of them at this early 1800s site before (no coins, etc. dug that dated after 1840). My personal hunch is that they date earlier than the "experts" think they do...

IMG_0800.JPG IMG_0801.JPG

But the REAL shocker came in a tiny package when I dug a little gilded flat button that looked like it had a heart-shaped wreath on it. I thought "that's nice" and called my buddy and my wife over to see it.

IMG_0779.JPG

After they'd started hunting again, I realized that there were LETTERS around the rim of the button and I wet the face of the button and was SHOCKED. It said "LONG LIVE THE PRESIDENT" around the rim!!! I almost fell over and screamed for them to come back and see!

IMG_0781.JPG

I had STRONG suspicions that this was a George Washington Inaugural button--but I was in such a state of disbelief and shock (which you will hear on the video) that one would/could--EVER be dug in Louisiana, that I didn't even half believe my intuition! Trip back to the truck to google search the button confirmed it--and I was totally floored! This is a GWI-17B (cuff sized) GW Inaugural with a rarity value of R-4 (less than 25 examples known)!!

I just can't even hardly type right now just thinking about this. If you'd told me that I would dig a GW one day, I would have said "you're crazy!" If you'd said I'd dig it in Louisiana--I would have laughed at you! Well, here it is. Unbelievable--that this button made it down here, and that it survived the plow, and although it has some rim loss and no shank left, the gilding on it is almost ENTIRELY THERE. I just can't believe it--and perhaps I still will shake my head in disbelief a year from now at this find!

IMG_0807.JPG

Here are the rest of the finds we made. Keep digging and have faith--you never know what will be waiting in the next hole!

IMG_1321.JPG IMG_1316.JPG

FINDS1.jpg

Best Wishes and Happy Hunting,

Buck

Last edited:
Upvote 104
Spectacular find. Hope it isn't a "once in a lifetime"

Nice hunt. Congrats on the GW Inaugural. There were a couple like that dug by some New Jersey T-net members a few years ago. I'm sure someone has already mentioned that.

WTG BB! So happy for you. Must have been VERY tough to sleep that night! Where there's 1 there might be 2 or more.

Also dug this button. Worn off in the center, but wondering if the reeded border in the channel looked familiar to anyone? Spanish, French, or British are all possibilities. Wish there was detail in the center, but I'm hoping that the border might ID it.

IMG_0812.JPG

Nice hunt. Congrats on the GW Inaugural. There were a couple like that dug by some New Jersey T-net members a few years ago. I'm sure someone has already mentioned that.
Hadn't heard that, but I'd love to see what they dug, if you have a link--please share it.

Cheers,

Buck

Last edited:
Awesome button!!! It's an absolute beauty! I was with someone when they dug the same button in NJ last month (but yours is nicer). But they didn't realize they had dug a GW till they cleaned it off the next day. That would have been a heck of a celebration!

Beautiful sweet button
Congrats

Also dug this button. Worn off in the center, but wondering if the reeded border in the channel looked familiar to anyone? Spanish, French, or British are all possibilities. Wish there was detail in the center, but I'm hoping that the border might ID it.

View attachment 1420357

Would guess just a British designed civilian button... but always a drag when the center is gone.

Allow me to be the 74th post to congratulate you on such a stunning an surprising find! :notworthy:

Awesome button!!! It's an absolute beauty! I was with someone when they dug the same button in NJ last month (but yours is nicer). But they didn't realize they had dug a GW till they cleaned it off the next day. That would have been a heck of a celebration!

Oh, there was a dance--and some drinks after!

Would guess just a British designed civilian button... but always a drag when the center is gone.
Thanks for the input--civilian isn't what I was hoping to hear, but I can't complain one bit about this hunt!

My goodness Buck you sure have a knack for nailing a killer scarce find every so often. A great testament to the commitment it takes to do well in this hobby. Without love for the history you will never have that commitment. Huge congrats on a fantastic GW cuff. BANNER to me buddy

My goodness Buck you sure have a knack for nailing a killer scarce find every so often. A great testament to the commitment it takes to do well in this hobby. Without love for the history you will never have that commitment. Huge congrats on a fantastic GW cuff. BANNER to me buddy

thanks so much Ahab! It was that history that hadn't me shaking--not the value, although that is a reason to shake too! It's been crazy odds but we have been lucky with the perseverance and good research here. I'm always humbled by the finds--and I'd be quick to confess that I've found more than my share and would be happy to be in the background while someone else digs something wonderful--as long as I get to dig for many years to come!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back