What's new

Sweet little point!

arrow86

Silver Member
Joined
May 6, 2014
Messages
3,377
Reaction score
4,083
Golden Thread
0
Location
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went out yesterday for a bit but the only time I could get out was at high tide and with the rain and wind it was extremely high but I figured it still beats sitting inside. I got pretty lucky finding this little guy I was walking around in the water and sifting with my little clam sifter and just sorting thru with my hands cause there was no beach to empty sifter onto ,anyways I spotted this rite on top I believe it to be a Brewerton corner notch
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1533519516.401379.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1533519532.813012.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1533519548.510242.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1533519559.650847.webp
I know this spot has to be loaded literally every scoop I sifted I found several nice flakes and a nice tip ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1533519670.774869.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1533519690.846544.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1533519706.595488.webp
When I was walking the high spot on a sand bar I could see the bottom thru about 12” of water and picked this up ..... it’s been grinded smooth on entire stone and the sides are smoother and completely flat I’m wondering if it could have been a unfinished adze ?? Where the bit it has some spots missing from what looks like pecking
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1533520015.731827.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1533520036.950337.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1533520052.601646.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1533520070.104424.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1533520085.201917.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1533520127.675364.webp
Let me know what you guys think
Also grabbed this giant stone not sure what the deal is but had work around all the edges
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1533520211.545179.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1533520227.357835.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1533520241.814084.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1533520259.631596.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1533520276.417121.webp
Here’s pic of the sifter I was using ... works great for these situations
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1533520364.121997.webp
 
Upvote 0
Nice hunt arrow. It looks like you have a promising spot. I have one of those "sifters" in Florida. I use it for sand fleas for surf casting. I'm glad you got out. I've been waiting for better tides but may just have to get out there like you did. Hard to stay off the water in this nice weather. Congrats on the point.
 
Looks like you had a half-way decent hunt. That one piece looks a lot like an adze or possible hammer stone, and your last item looks like a large chopper. Nice point too.
 
I think the larger piece is a blank for an axe. They would often rough chip them to shape and then peck and grind them down to final form. It certainly could have been used as a chopper, but I'd say the original intent was to be made into a celt/adze/axe.

The other hardstone piece is like a celt, but the wear on the bit might have been from use as a hammer stone.
 
Nice finds! That is a lot of success for one trip!
 
Awesome work per usual. Guess what I just bought? Lol, that sifter looks like a good idea for some of the places I tend to go.
 
I think the larger piece is a blank for an axe. They would often rough chip them to shape and then peck and grind them down to final form. It certainly could have been used as a chopper, but I'd say the original intent was to be made into a celt/adze/axe.

The other hardstone piece is like a celt, but the wear on the bit might have been from use as a hammer stone.

Thanks for chiming in ... hmmm so you think I can scratch adze off my bucket list ? Or you think it was prob just a hammer / grinding stone ?
 
Awesome work per usual. Guess what I just bought? Lol, that sifter looks like a good idea for some of the places I tend to go.

Lol it’s a good purchase I have found quite a few goodies with it I built one that’s about 3ft X 3ft and wrapped with pool noodles so it floats .... I have had prob 30 lbs of material in it and it was still afloat that one is nice cause I can toss shovel full scoops in it .... but it’s a bit rough on the back and knees
 
Lol it’s a good purchase I have found quite a few goodies with it I built one that’s about 3ft X 3ft and wrapped with pool noodles so it floats .... I have had prob 30 lbs of material in it and it was still afloat that one is nice cause I can toss shovel full scoops in it .... but it’s a bit rough on the back and knees

Where I was on Sunday, it would have been perfect. You called it with the tide being a little higher than normal at low tide due to the rain. I could have taken some scoops from the area that was underwater, which held a lot of stone material.

And if I’m ever late to a low tide, I have a plan-b now.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom