TintedSnow

Sep 25, 2016
Anchorage, Alaska
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, White's Goldmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey all,
I’m thinking I want to switch up from using my gold wheel for separating out sands and whatnot. I use a good cube for all my mining, then usually my wheel, but my wheel is broken and it’s turning into more of a project than I’d like. I’m also not to keen on it. Any suggestions I should swap to? Mini Miller table or something?

Upvote 0

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If I try and watch the gold collect in a spiraling gold wheel, I'll likely
end up with a vertigo attack. :laughing7:

Miller tables are..well, they're just fun, and you get to see your
gold right off the bat. That, and they are much easier to make
with materials at hand.

I made mine using part of an old solid wood tabletop, a couple
of 1x2's and some green chalkboard paint. There's a number
of effective surfaces you can use as a top. Make a spray bar
(or take the one out of your wheel), use a battery powered
pump and Bob's yer uncle. :occasion14:

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
I also made several of these and I liked them!! Like DD said ,they are EZ to make and I've made them out of what ever and used the "Black Board" spray paint and ,my favorite , dark Slate!! the sprayed "Black Board " paint works just fine but if you use it a lot it'll get scratched up and need to be repainted ,where as the slate keeps on giving! Another neat little trick is to drill a hole in a isolated spot out of the main stream of the table and secure a glass gold vile into it so that as the fine gold starts popping up you can use a little brush to move the gold over into the vile ! This trick works great. I liked my wheel also BUT I had to much equipment to haul around !

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You say you use a gold cube for all of your mining....gold cubes do not produce a huge amount of concentrates so simply classifying a days take into several different batches by screen size should enable you to simply pan to satisfactory results in just a few minutes....this because the gold particles are 3 or more times as heavy as anything else in the pan. By using a 30, 50 and 70 or 100 mesh classifier you can make 4 separate, small quantity, batches (plus 30, 50, 70/100 and minus 70/100 mesh to pan separately. The plus 30 mesh can be panned easily but then the other batches will become increasingly difficult....but doable.* Still do the above classifying steps if you choose to make a miller table.

Good luck.

* minus 100 mesh is especially difficult to pan if it is mostly black sand like ocean beach concentrates usually are.

Last edited:

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Panning is so much easier if you run a rare earth magnet over your cons first to remove the magnetite and metallic particles , and then pan it ! Put your rare earth magnet into a plastic film canister or a baggie to remove the metallic's from the magnet !

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Screen to 3/16" - remove magnetics - cube - remove magnetics again - Pan by hand
Dredge clean up is done in less than an hour

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread