What's new

T

nyiangelo

Hero Member
Joined
Feb 19, 2007
Messages
639
Reaction score
27
Golden Thread
0
Location
The Lone Star State
Detector(s) used
ace 250/ Minelab SE Pro
I never understood the point of marking coins. Especially without the date on them. I find this guys coins every where I go. Brinks,Loomis, it doesn't matter, Silver all mixed in together. Strange thing is in my Loomis boxes which usually are yellow fed rolls, 1 box was brown customer rolls. My buddy got 2 boxes this way all with one coin marked in the middle of each roll. Point is T your tracking system sucks. There's no way you can tell when that coin is from, so at least write a date on it. Also it's a waste of time, I find yours and silver mixed all the time. You should do less marking and more searching.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1937.webp
    IMG_1937.webp
    117.7 KB · Views: 302
Upvote 0
nyiangelo said:
I never understood the point of marking coins. Especially without the date on them. I find this guys coins every where I go. Brinks,Loomis, it doesn't matter, Silver all mixed in together. Strange thing is in my Loomis boxes which usually are yellow fed rolls, 1 box was brown customer rolls. My buddy got 2 boxes this way all with one coin marked in the middle of each roll. Point is T your tracking system sucks. There's no way you can tell when that coin is from, so at least write a date on it. Also it's a waste of time, I find yours and silver mixed all the time. You should do less marking and more searching.

It is curious how that works; in my last batch 6 boxes found only 1 marked coin (could of been more) and it was in the box that had the most Silver in it. Though have found dozens of maked ones and no Silver in'em either. The only thing I personally learned back when I marked coins was if turn them in in my own Fed district I will see them again.
 
It's a given that you WILL get your dumps back at some point. That's why not putting a mark on a coin so you know how long it took to get it back is silly. I know I've gotten some of mine back without marking them.
 
I mark my coins as a measure of how the flow of coins work in a banking system. I usually get coins from one source (one type of bank) and dump at another. I try to be consistant at that. I realize that you'll get a marked coin back at some point or another but the question is how often. I found this out when I dumped at a Wacovia and picked up a Union Bank. I received a box that had a lot of my marked coins in there. That tells me the banks share the same source for coin supply (this was confirmed later when I asked Wacovia). Wacovia here orders their coins through Union Bank. On the other hand, my supply bank that I use now has very very few of my marked coins (maybe one every 3 months). This tells me that I'm not getting the coins that I've searched back. Marking coins are indicators of coin supply system and if you are getting your own dumps back.
 
nyiangelo said:
It's a given that you WILL get your dumps back at some point. That's why not putting a mark on a coin so you know how long it took to get it back is silly. I know I've gotten some of mine back without marking them.

I do NOT get mine back- take them to another Fed district so that don't happen.
 
I once got some of my own dumps from Friday back on Monday. I do not mark the coins, but there was one half that had some engraving done on it to give Kennedy a beard and mullet. I dumped that coin on Friday afternoon and got it back in my boxes on Monday. that's why I now dump in Brinks Territory and buy in Loomis Territory.
SilverMiser
 
SilverMiser said:
I once got some of my own dumps from Friday back on Monday. I do not mark the coins, but there was one half that had some engraving done on it to give Kennedy a beard and mullet. I dumped that coin on Friday afternoon and got it back in my boxes on Monday. that's why I now dump in Brinks Territory and buy in Loomis Territory.
SilverMiser
Not that I have gotten one back so quick but by trial & error and observations have found one particular Bank that appears to reroll the dumps they get in machined Brinks rolls and pawns them off consistently on CRH'ers.
One very friendly guy who does ordering in a Bank we use has told me the ins & outs of Banks- why some operate differently; some have rerollers to save money others just ship them off. Told me his Bank used to re-roll but machine broke too much that it was not cost effective- now they get & send off coins weekly.
 
obediah said:
nyiangelo said:
It's a given that you WILL get your dumps back at some point. That's why not putting a mark on a coin so you know how long it took to get it back is silly. I know I've gotten some of mine back without marking them.

I do NOT get mine back- take them to another Fed district so that don't happen.

Yeah but just because you don't dump in the same district doesn't mean someone else won't. Point being that they may be from another district and drop off some of your coins into the system. It is just a given that it will happen. To many circumstances for it not to. Sure you might help your odds.
 
nyiangelo said:
obediah said:
nyiangelo said:
It's a given that you WILL get your dumps back at some point. That's why not putting a mark on a coin so you know how long it took to get it back is silly. I know I've gotten some of mine back without marking them.

I do NOT get mine back- take them to another Fed district so that don't happen.

Yeah but just because you don't dump in the same district doesn't mean someone else won't. Point being that they may be from another district and drop off some of your coins into the system. It is just a given that it will happen. To many circumstances for it not to. Sure you might help your odds.
Oh yeah, but I feel much better about dropping them in someone else's backyard than my own-thinning out the supply of old clad, making room for the new old Silver.
 
SilverMiser said:
I once got some of my own dumps from Friday back on Monday. I do not mark the coins, but there was one half that had some engraving done on it to give Kennedy a beard and mullet. I dumped that coin on Friday afternoon and got it back in my boxes on Monday. that's why I now dump in Brinks Territory and buy in Loomis Territory.
SilverMiser

This plays into the theory that once coins are dropped off and rolled, they toss them back on the top of the pile. Then when they fill and order they just pluck off the top boxes which you just dumped. Pretty amazing that they can turn those around so quickly. Over the weekend?
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom